News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

This would benefit the TTC as well. And if their union perceives their members are at risk we may see improved security for both employees and passengers.

Paywall free access here: https://archive.is/Bbaeq

This move is a legacy of the Byford Era; and the TTC for that very reason, already has the same plans.

Its not popular w/staff.

I don't think its an inherently bad idea; but the TTC's implementation of it may be very problematic.

The current plan is to remove most/all collector booths over time.

The first to go will be St. Andrew this year, being removed in favour of additional fare gates.

This has prompted several questions. Right now, if there's a security incident ongoing in a station, employees are advised to lock themselves in the booth. No booth? What's the new plan? Does every station get a break room?

Second, the collector position has historically been used to address the needs of operators (drivers) who required modified duty due to age/infirmity; but is the new plan to have staff on their feet all day, non-stop? Some staff currently wheel their chair out of the booth to sit on it by the gates, but if there's no booth, presumably there's no chair.

A related issue in terms of security is that collector/CSR staff currently have no security related training, aren't issued vests etc.; and many are women, and work alone, sometimes quite late at night. Does that sound reasonable, when most chain retailers who open late specifically require 2 employees at all times just for safety reasons.

Also, asked, "How will the operators contact 'control' when they lose their phone from the booth; are they all being issued cell phones?

Lots of questions, too few answers.

My instinct is that the current booths are unattractive, make talking to staff difficult and don't give off a 'customer service' vibe. But I would re-imagine them. Remove the roof/ceiling, lower the glass (but keep it as a mid-height barrier) change out the stainless steel for something warmer or trim it with something warmer; de-clutter all the blasted signs off of the thing and put in a digital sign board off to the side if needed. This would still allow employees to sit, and to be semi-protected late at night or problematic circumstances.

I would encourage staff to leave the booth during daytime/early evening hours, and empower them to fix minor things themselves and/or get an on-shift janitor as required. I would hire someone with a good reputation in retail customer service to improve staff training in this regard.

In my model and/or the booth-less one, you have the issue of climate control. The booths have heating and some also have a/c. Of course riders manage w/o this, but 10-20M exposure to a very cold/warm environment is entirely different from an 8+ hour shift.

Which will return us to the question of appropriate climate-control measures in stations over time.

Hold everything..............

For the most part, UT collectively holds TTC CEO Rick Leary in a certain measure of disdain.

I think, rightly so.

I raise this, because of something he said at Council this morning that is borderline hilarious, if only for being a near certain fabrication.

Courtesy Matt Elliott:

1680207142735.png

Wait, wait....hold on..........crime on the TTC is down since the service cuts went into affect on Sunday? Really? (Leary would have been briefed for discussing this item (TTC Safety) yesterday, meaning, in the unlikely event there are any actual post-service reduction stats to be had, they cover Sunday-Tuesday of this week only, LOL )

I don't think any one called BS on him on the floor of Council.......

Last edited:
Hold everything..............

For the most part, UT collectively holds TTC CEO Rick Leary in a certain measure of disdain.

I think, rightly so.

I raise this, because of something he said at Council this morning that is borderline hilarious, if only for being a near certain fabrication.

Courtesy Matt Elliott:

View attachment 465406

Wait, wait....hold on..........crime on the TTC is down since the service cuts went into affect on Sunday? Really? (Leary would have been briefed for discussing this item (TTC Safety) yesterday, meaning, in the unlikely event there are any actual post-service reduction stats to be had, they cover Sunday-Tuesday of this week only, LOL )

I don't think any one called BS on him on the floor of Council.......
I'd be in full support of using $1 million out of the $15 million council approved for TTC emergency funds to pay off this idiot of a CEO and get him the hell out of Toronto. I mean it's pretty much an emergency allowing this fool to still hold the keys to the TTC.

I'd be in full support of using $1 million out of the $15 million council approved for TTC emergency funds to pay off this idiot of a CEO and get him the hell out of Toronto. I mean it's pretty much an emergency allowing this fool to still hold the keys to the TTC.

If only we can send off the commissioners themselves that easily too.

AoD

Oh good grief - the Coxwell platform in the middle of the afternoon?

There aren't many subway platforms in the city, that have so much TTC staff on them.

If only we can send off the commissioners themselves that easily too.

AoD

TTC Board Members​

• Chair - Councillor Jon Burnside
  • Councillor Paul Ainslie
  • Joanne De Laurentiis (Citizen)
  • Councillor Stephen Holyday
  • Fenton Jagdeo (Citizen)
  • Ron Lalonde (Citizen)
  • Councillor Nick Mantas
  • Councillor Chris Moise
  • Julie Osborne (Citizen)

Oh good grief - the Coxwell platform in the middle of the afternoon?

There aren't many subway platforms in the city, that have so much TTC staff on them.

There were 3 incidents at the same time tonight. 4 if you count Keele.

Knife at Coxwell, Knife at Lansdowne and Knife at Dundas West. EA Activation at Keele.

There were 3 incidents at the same time tonight. 4 if you count Keele.

Knife at Coxwell, Knife at Lansdowne and Knife at Dundas West. EA Activation at Keele.
I don't see those other 3 platforms being almost permanently staffed though, with a TTC office on the platform.

There was also a "hate-motivated" incident at Kennedy this morning.

I don't see those other 3 platforms being almost permanently staffed though, with a TTC office on the platform.

There was also a "hate-motivated" incident at Kennedy this morning.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

We need a Toronto version of the British Transport Police. A dedicated team of armed officers solely for the transit system.

Back