News   Jul 16, 2024
 357     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 456     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Not just that, but a short section of St. Clair station is slightly curved, though enough for a four-year-old girl to fall through the gap.
I had a 3-year old fall between the platform and the train at Dundas before ... not a big deal, as I was holding her hand, and simply pulled her back out. It was all over so fast don't think it crossed my mind that it could have been serious until I saw the looks of everyone on the train ... and it never crossed my mind to contact the media (this was not long before the St. Clair incident). Still not a serious issue in my mind - life with small children.

I was recently on a train (rush hour) where a woman threw up and hit the alarm. She then sat on the floor of the train and wouldn't get off when the guard asked her, so we sat there for about 10 minutes until she was feeling better and told the guard she was okay to continue. :mad:

In this type of situations, the TTC should have the ticket collector come down to platform level and physically remove the person from the train while they wait for medical assistance.

I think that, in situations such as these, there should be an expanded role for transit enforcement officers. It could be added to the TTC By-Laws that any unwarranted behaviour (including pressing the yellow strip) halting the timely operation of the transit network, within reason, shall warrant removal from the system or at least the vehicle by transit enforcement. I'm no lawyer so I'm sure there's a dizzying array of legal particulars involved in such a thing, but it should be something worth looking into, especially if we're going to start seeing a more prominent and visible role for transit enforcement with the implementation of POP on more surface routes.

But I also have to agree with the above comments about the Montreal model of emergency alarms. People think twice about using them lightly when they have to physically break a containing surface to get at them. Side note, for the first time ever, yesterday my GO rail trip was delayed once in each direction - both heading downtown and leaving - by spurious presses of the yellow strip. Seems like the recent rash of alarms hasn't been limited to TTC alone!

And unless the client was weighing less than 50 pounds, it would violate provincial health and safety legislation to lift the client without specialized equipment and/or training. Though perhaps two could lift one under 100 pounds. Surely better to wait for medical assistance - or in this case until the client was able to move.

Better for whom?

AoD

Not sure why the ticket collector would be able to physically remove the client from the train, if the guard couldn't.

And unless the client was weighing less than 50 pounds, it would violate provincial health and safety legislation to lift the client without specialized equipment and/or training. Though perhaps two could lift one under 100 pounds. Surely better to wait for medical assistance - or in this case until the client was able to move.

They could start by telling people to step out of the train rather than asking them if they wanted to. She could stand up (especially with assistance) but didn't want to.

Or perhaps change operating protocol so that train operation will resume if a passenger refuses to wait for medical assistance. If she is not ill enough to want to voluntary leave the train, then presumably there's no need to wait for paramedics to arrive.

Last edited:
I think that, in situations such as these, there should be an expanded role for transit enforcement officers. It could be added to the TTC By-Laws that any unwarranted behaviour (including pressing the yellow strip) halting the timely operation of the transit network, within reason, shall warrant removal from the system or at least the vehicle by transit enforcement. I'm no lawyer so I'm sure there's a dizzying array of legal particulars involved in such a thing, but it should be something worth looking into, especially if we're going to start seeing a more prominent and visible role for transit enforcement with the implementation of POP on more surface routes.

But I also have to agree with the above comments about the Montreal model of emergency alarms. People think twice about using them lightly when they have to physically break a containing surface to get at them. Side note, for the first time ever, yesterday my GO rail trip was delayed once in each direction - both heading downtown and leaving - by spurious presses of the yellow strip. Seems like the recent rash of alarms hasn't been limited to TTC alone!

Doesn't help having the emergency strip in yellow, the same colour as the yellow "clothes line" stop request. Odd that the stop request button is red.

Just saw one of the new streetcars at Queen and Jarvis. I'm assuming it was on a test run

Better for whom?
Better for those that would risk be terminated for breaking provincial regulations.

They could start by telling people to step out of the train rather than asking them if they wanted to. She could stand up (especially with assistance) but didn't want to.
How do you know that they can stand up. I know people that become incredibly dizzy and light-headed if they stand up ... and while you and I might kneel on the bathroom floor while preying to the porcelain altar, and then stagger away, they hold on for dear life, and then lie on the floor for half-an-hour or so.

Presumably if the person was capable of getting on their feet, but wouldn't leave the train, there was no more medical emergency, and travel would proceed.

I was recently on a train (rush hour) where a woman threw up and hit the alarm. She then sat on the floor of the train and wouldn't get off when the guard asked her, so we sat there for about 10 minutes until she was feeling better and told the guard she was okay to continue. :mad:

In this type of situations, the TTC should have the ticket collector come down to platform level and physically remove the person from the train while they wait for medical assistance.

If I was feeling nauseated, I would get myself off the train and over to a garage container on the platform.

Here's the floor at Bathurst where the turnstiles were. Hard to tell what would replace them, but I can ask ...

Bathurst tiles.JPG

Attachments

• Bathurst tiles.JPG
    Bathurst tiles.JPG
    546.1 KB · Views: 504
How hard could it have been to get the darker brown tile again?

Union, Eglinton and Wellesley... though I don't think those stations warrant platform extenders at all.

The southbound side of Museum station close to the exit is slightly cut off to allow trains from Lower Bay station to enter Museum station.

Not just that, but a short section of St. Clair station is slightly curved, though enough for a four-year-old girl to fall through the gap.

I'd like to add Broadview as well (westbound). Suffice to say there are a few out there.

Back