News   Jul 16, 2024
 411     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 527     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

If I worked for the TTC I would volunteer my own time and take as many as I could down. Of course if I worked for the TTC I'm sure my union job description would prohibit me from volunteering my own time to do something that enriched the organization.

Ya, sure you would. You'll also bring your toolbox and fix the ceiling after you take those down.

Based on that we would have road signs pointing to Berlin (ONT), Port Arthur and York (i.e. Toronto). They are signs and should mean something other than that the TTC has either forgotten to change the bulbs or to take them down!

These signs may be of use when again when TYSSE opens in a few years, since a significant amount of the trains will turn back before Vaughan Metropolitan Centre (Ha!) Station. However I suspect that the TTC will more likely use the OneStop system since it should be cheaper to update and operate.

True. All true.

This reflects how shoddy of an organization the TTC is. Keeping useless crap like this up makes the whole operation look backwards and underfunded..which it is..but no need to make it so obvious. Kind of like the handwritten signs that periodically show up when there are diversions/construction-related changes. Hack jobs.

If I worked for the TTC I would volunteer my own time and take as many as I could down. Of course if I worked for the TTC I'm sure my union job description would prohibit me from volunteering my own time to do something that enriched the organization.
You went in! I think this is harsh, but I see the validity of this.

Really? I had never noticed. Why did they use them? Other than the occasional turn back at St. Clair West Station, all trains ended their trips at terminal station Downsview or Finch.

Occasional? Every second train in the busiest part of the morning rush hour is scheduled to turn back at St. Clair West.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Surely, leaving the signs in place (which are still correct), looks better than leaving capped wired dangling from the ceiling, or a hole that needs fixing. As far as I can tell, the signs are slowly disappearing as major work takes place in each station.

Haven't we hacked enough jobs? You can't complain about things not getting done, and then ask that jobs be hacked.

Hole in the ceiling? Considering the utter lack of movement on removed slatted ceilings, exposed concrete, stains, etc - I'd say a hole is a rather minor issue relative to useless clutter.

And speaking of clutter and general decrepitness, those new WiFi antennas at College are just awful - and the enclosed conduits to them even worse. I am not sure if the cure for WiFi access is better than the disease.

AoD

Last edited:
Both Byford & Tory took media questions about the union's report today.

The questions covered SmartTrack and the TTC report on improving transit from the summer (POP, 2 hour fares etc).

Tory spoke in support of the TTC improvement report, saying he is looking for the money to fund it.

They both said discussions are happening re: SmartTrack.

Full interviews are at cp24.com.

The same thing could be said about every historical thing at one point.

New York Subway's City Hall station, no longer in service.
ny-subway-freeman_wide-67d4ec3d16952d1bd873e0ca04e5544066baf2cc-s6-c30.jpg
city_hall_2_large.jpg

Attachments

• ny-subway-freeman_wide-67d4ec3d16952d1bd873e0ca04e5544066baf2cc-s6-c30.jpg
    ny-subway-freeman_wide-67d4ec3d16952d1bd873e0ca04e5544066baf2cc-s6-c30.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 496
  • city_hall_2_large.jpg
    city_hall_2_large.jpg
    811 KB · Views: 832
The same thing could be said about every historical thing at one point.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. And the NYC station above is very nice, that's not what I'm talking about. Signage needs to be clear and consistent and always purposeful. It's like keeping a system map from the 70s on the wall, it serves no purpose other than to confuse and distract from real signage. Just put it in storage until the powers that be decide to finally open a city museum.

There were a lot of "personal injury at track level" subway delays in the last few days.

As the subway system gets even busier in the next few years and these incidents get more frequent, I would think there will be increased pressure to install platform doors, at least starting with the busiest stations. I'm assuming it can be done one station at a time, it doesn't have to be every station at once. Of course, this is after ATC is installed in 2019 (or whichever year).

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...revent_deaths_toronto_public_health_says.html

There were a lot of "personal injury at track level" subway delays in the last few days.

As the subway system gets even busier in the next few years and these incidents get more frequent, I would think there will be increased pressure to install platform doors, at least starting with the busiest stations. I'm assuming it can be done one station at a time, it doesn't have to be every station at once. Of course, this is after ATC is installed in 2019 (or whichever year).

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...revent_deaths_toronto_public_health_says.html

Except that, for some, spending money on platform doors is just "gravy". Guess they think the same about smoke detectors, CO detectors, and other safety products... all a waste of money to them.

Except that, for some, spending money on platform doors is just "gravy". Guess they think the same about smoke detectors, CO detectors, and other safety products... all a waste of money to them.

It's not just a safety issue, but reliability. If the large parts of the transit network keep getting paralyzed by these incidents on an increasingly regular basis, pressure will build for platform doors.

it helps with a lot of other issues too like garbage on the tracks causing fires.

Combo platform doors with ATC and you get a system that should almost never fail.

Back