News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 404     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

There has got to be better options than wood.

AoD
1575309423390.png

Is it even safe to use wood right by the third rail?

AoD

It has been for the past 100+ years, and it will likely continue to do so. Hell, the third rail is carried by wooden ties, and they've never been an issue.

For the record however, the TYSSE was built with engineered fibreglass coverboards. Where they need to be replaced the engineered fibreglass ones are the new standard.

Dan

There has got to be better options than wood.

AoD
It has been for the past 100+ years, and it will likely continue to do so. Hell, the third rail is carried by wooden ties, and they've never been an issue.

For the record however, the TYSSE was built with engineered fibreglass coverboards. Where they need to be replaced the engineered fibreglass ones are the new standard.

Dan

Correct me if I'm wrong (I am not at all an electrical engineer), but wood is a damn fine insulator. Assuming it was in contact with the third rail, the only way I believe it would really be able to catch fire is if water, debris, or metal fasteners were in a close enough proximity to the third rail to cause continuous arcing, leading to a fire.

If I am correct in this assumption, I don't even think fibreglass would have helped much, given that there would have still been a short circuit and, most likely, fire from track debris. Any failure of the third rail cover would have shut down the system regardless since they'd have to cut track power and perform an extensive repair. This all leads to the question of why and how the cover failed to begin with.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I am not at all an electrical engineer), but wood is a damn fine insulator. Assuming it was in contact with the third rail, the only way I believe it would really be able to catch fire is if water, debris, or metal fasteners were in a close enough proximity to the third rail to cause continuous arcing, leading to a fire.

If I am correct in this assumption, I don't even think fibreglass would have helped much, given that there would have still been a short circuit and, most likely, fire from track debris. Any failure of the third rail cover would have shut down the system regardless since they'd have to cut track power and perform an extensive repair. This all leads to the question of why and how the cover failed to begin with.

Could the wood be getting so wet that it loses it's insulation properties, as they weren't cleaning off the trains going into service this morning. One went through Wilson with a good 6 inch drift on top of it.

Wood is also rather combustable, and have a tendency to rot in less than ideal conditions. Glass/ceramic is probably better in that regard, but brittle and heavy.

AoD

I dont even blame the person for opening the doors to get out. Especially with how damn slow the TTC is with relaying info to passengers. It's common for delays to go on for 30 mins-1 hour, after which passengers will either have no info as to what's going on or they will have 5 different accounts of the issue.

I dont even blame the person for opening the doors to get out. Especially with how damn slow the TTC is with relaying info to passengers. It's common for delays to go on for 30 mins-1 hour, after which passengers will either have no info as to what's going on or they will have 5 different accounts of the issue.

The person probably saw the smoke building up and thought to take chances elsewhere. To be completely honest, if onboard a powerless train in a smoke filled tunnel I too would likely try to evacuate.

^Not to mention with how hot it would get in a packed train with winter gear on. Personally, i'd give him/her a round of applause.

People are gettting fed up with all the issues, and lack of communication. Especially when the tunnels are getting filled with smoke; i'm sorry do they really expect people to inhale smoke in an enclosed area with having little clue as to what's really going on?

^Not to mention with how hot it would get in a packed train with winter gear on. Personally, i'd give him/her a round of applause.

People are gettting fed up with all the issues, and lack of communication. Especially when the tunnels are getting filled with smoke; i'm sorry do they really expect people to inhale smoke in an enclosed area with having little clue as to what's really going on?

If I see smoke filling the tunnel, I think something is on fire. If that something is at track level I could very much be in danger. I would rather take my chances in the tunnel than I would stuck in a tin can.

Look at what happened with the H1 Garbage Train in 2000 or the 1997 fire between Donlands and Greenwood. The Garbage Train went up and engulfed Old Mill Station, in 1997 rubber pads being stored at track level in the Wye went up and brought 200 firefighters to the scene. Going further back to 1976, a train went up inside the station (see images courtesy of Transit Toronto) as part of an arson incident. The damage at Christie was extensive.

My point is that when there is a smoke or fire in a tunnel the worst place to be is inside a train car. May as well utilize the buddy system if you are staying put in there.

Plan A 2.jpg
Plan A.jpg

The person probably saw the smoke building up and thought to take chances elsewhere. To be completely honest, if onboard a powerless train in a smoke filled tunnel I too would likely try to evacuate.

Should commuter train, and heavy & light rail cars have smoke and CO detectors inside them?

Back