News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 414     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The Broadview & Dundas work seems to be moving quite rapidly.

20180629_184807_HDR.jpg

20180629_184847_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20180629_184847_HDR.jpg
    20180629_184847_HDR.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 656
  • 20180629_184807_HDR.jpg
    20180629_184807_HDR.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 641
Are they putting in remotely operated double point switches when they do these intersection rebuilds, or sticking with the old crap that requires drivers to stop first and then crawl through?

Changing the running infrastructure isn't going to change the rules. Changing (and upgrading) the control systems for the switches may.

The TTC had a brain, but it moved to New York.

I think that you're giving Mr. Byford way too much credit.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

A win in the war on cars!
lol! In all seriousness though, there were a litany of horrendous accidents around Toronto yesterday, drunk driving implicated in many. I came across one on Harbord cycling west yesterday late afternoon at Crawford. Witnesses tell me that the driver was taken into custody, smashed his Jeep and three other vehicles, seriously after backing up from one accident and and hitting other vehicles. A lot of these incidents are drunken louts watching soccer on TV at bars, then leaving drunk.

Beware of cars flying flags of 'their team' right now. My sixth-sense goes off every time one gets near me on the road.

As to the pic posted by @tiffer24 , one has to wonder how in hell did it end-up there? Yikes...

Because driving into the Queens Quay tunnel is way overdone.
The incident displayed above takes on a danger completely absent for the QQ tunnel. This car somehow ended up on the passenger platform. Did it impact the streetcar and get dragged in there? Doubtful, it wouldn't likely get wedged in like that. It must have been travelling at speed and launched into that situation from forward momentum.

The streets always were dangerous. The last few days have been even more so. Perhaps in a way it was fortunate that the wedging stopped the vehicle from impacting passengers waiting on the platform. Hopefully we'll be reading more details. I see nothing in the news about the multi-vehicle incident on Harbord at Crawford yesterday. How many more of these accidents are happening and not making it to the news?

A win in the war on cars!

Well no because the car caused the streetcar service to be suspended for some time and inconvenienced transit riders.

I drive and I really don't understand how that driver got pinned like that. You have to be drunk, high or experience sudden blindness for that to happen.

Last edited:
This is Eastbound, just west of Spadina on St. Clair.

If I had to guess, the car probably change their mind and decided not to turn left, and instead tried to out-accelerate the Streetcar and use the left lane.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6845...4!1szWQ2kF88tomp-xqq8Pbhqw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Looking at other cnetre island locations, there are differences, but likely believable that someone can mix it up.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6609...NNkGjRcQ!2e0!5s20140701T000000!7i13312!8i6656

I guess if you build an LRT in the middle of the road, you have to expect these things.

You can see the scrape marks along the side of the auto, presumably from the concrete divider. No damage to the front of the car, the scrape starts part way along....so likely the streetcar arrived from behind and shoved the car into the divider.

Note to self: shoulder check the blind spot for streetcars, as well as bikes.

- Paul

This is... unusual even for St. Clair.

Courtesy of Ev Delen

View attachment 148649

Didn't the automobile driver see the grass or feel the cobblestones on the streetcars right-of-way? Oh wait, there is nothing to differentiate the pavement between the traffic lanes and the right-of-way. Never mind.

Changing the running infrastructure isn't going to change the rules.

Not at one intersection, no, but you have to start somewhere. I thought double point were more reliable than single point and were a requirement to safely run through any faster.

Changing (and upgrading) the control systems for the switches may.

Thanks, you know more on this stuff than I do, I appreciate the reply.

Back