News   Jul 15, 2024
 24     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The announcement on April 23 will indeed be for the electric buses. The Feds have a history of touting how environmentally friendly they are, and they did the same thing (albeit with a different party) for the hybrids when they were being procured.

I never noticed this until today, but when did they start displaying "every 4 mins?" It seems like a filler to hide the fact that the next train is actually more than 4 mins.
IMG_2720.JPG

Addendum: the "every 4 mins" disappears when the next train is 3 mins away.

Attachments

• IMG_2720.JPG
    IMG_2720.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 424
I never noticed this until today, but when did they start displaying "every 4 mins?" It seems like a filler to hide the fact that the next train is actually more than 4 mins.View attachment 140967

Addendum: the "every 4 mins" disappears when the next train is 3 mins away.
With parts of the subway line down, they used to display N/A. I guess this works better.

I'm not sure what to call it but today I was riding on one of the line 1 shuttle buses into st. Clair west station and I noticed they have mounted what look to be third rail segments to the cealing of the tunnel.

I'm not sure what to call it but today I was riding on one of the line 1 shuttle buses into st. Clair west station and I noticed they have mounted what look to be third rail segments to the cealing of the tunnel.
Most likely the installation of a rigid overhead catenary system to replace the exsisting one that is designed for trolley pole operation.

That's what I figured and after a Google search I found it's not common except in areas with a low overhead clearance.
What I've noticed from an armchair perspective is that rigid overhead centenary systems seem to be more common in Europe. Google image searching does show that it's mainly popular for high speed/train usage. But I have seen it used for underground tram systems (eg. Brussels and Vienna). Also in tunnels for rail transport. My guess is also the lack of clearance being the main reason for using a rigid system over a suspended wire style centenary. But as the examples below show, it's not always the case; aesthetics can play a significant role as well. That is if architecture and design are of great importance.

Slightly off topic, I wonder if the Crosstown is using a rigid system or a suspended wire.

Salzburg_Hauptbahnhof_2012-07-18_4.jpg

IMG_2722.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_2722.PNG
    IMG_2722.PNG
    735.5 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
As seen on many bridges or overpasses where the TTC overhead has already been upgraded.
As far as I know, this is the first use of it on the TTC, unfortunately, I couldn't get a good picture of it as they only have it in the entrance and exit tunnel section of St. Clair West Sation. I'm guessing that they are probably switching to it because the tunnel may be a bit lower then Spadina or Queens Quya to Union or it's probably to accommodate buses going in and out of it too. What you see under bridges and the other tunnels is just the regular wire with a fibreglass plate around it to insulate the bridge should the pole come off or the wire break.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4160999/ttc-transit-bus-funding/

Apologies if this has already been posted. Excellent news. Someone on this forum basically called this a few wees ago. 1043 + 695 = 1738 — is that an increase over the current fleet? Hopefully the order includes a bunch of artics. On a related note, they really need to get cracking on that new bus garage.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4160999/ttc-transit-bus-funding/

Apologies if this has already been posted. Excellent news. Someone on this forum basically called this a few wees ago. 1043 + 695 = 1738 — is that an increase over the current fleet? Hopefully the order includes a bunch of artics. On a related note, they really need to get cracking on that new bus garage.
There's no way TTC is buying over 1000 new buses from this point on. Thus is just a PR of all the buses they funded since the PTIF program is launch and includes all the buses already in service for over two year ago. About 450 of them are already in service since 2016 while most of the 600 would be replacements of the current fleet. The refurbishment program has been ongoing too as we see more and more of the newly painted buses on the road.

There's no way TTC is buying over 1000 new buses from this point on. Thus is just a PR of all the buses they funded since the PTIF program is launch and includes all the buses already in service for over two year ago. About 450 of them are already in service since 2016 while most of the 600 would be replacements of the current fleet. The refurbishment program has been ongoing too as we see more and more of the newly painted buses on the road.

Ah, so the ol Del Duca style re-announcement.

He was actually in the news...
The poor man couldn't resist the urge. It's pretty pathetic how desperate he is to be in absolutely every photo-op, even when the ministry he's responsible for isn't at all responsible for any of this.

Back