News   Jul 15, 2024
 83     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

In fairness, the bus and streetcar drivers sometimes DO have to slow down to avoid being ahead of schedule (for which they get punished).
There are a lot of things in life that I do not understand.

Punishing someone for being early is one of them.

Not the point of this post. I think a lot of time and energy has been wasted over the years on TTC schedules. Punishing people for not adhering to them could be on that wasted energy scrap heap.

My bus stop used to have some ridiculous scrap of paper which said the bus would come at 9:07 and then 9:23 and then 9:52 etc.

On any route at any time, with a scheduled headway of 10minueptes or less, cant we just say every 10 minutes? We could stop wasting time and energy punishing drivers. We could stop people from cooling their heals at a terminus so the bus isn’t early. Heaven forbid. We could use the same management time and energy measuring early drivers - and apparently punishing them - to manage bunching. That seems more effective.

The world changed. As a child, I remember waiting for a bus that might have come only one every 30 minutes. But we all have a phone and Nextbus. Or almost all. Isn’t there a better way?

Last edited:
In fairness, the bus and streetcar drivers sometimes DO have to slow down to avoid being ahead of schedule (for which they get punished).

Unfortunately this is the case, I do understand that. I should've been clearer. My beef isn't with the drivers doing this, but rather with TTC management, and their ineptitude to schedule services properly.

Nonetheless, after a long day at work, I just want to get home. Passengers (and drivers) shouldn't be the ones who get punished for management's problems.

Unfortunately this is the case, I do understand that. I should've been clearer. My beef isn't with the drivers doing this, but rather with TTC management, and their ineptitude to schedule services properly.

Nonetheless, after a long day at work, I just want to get home. Passengers (and drivers) shouldn't be the ones who get punished for management's problems.
You might not be so keen if your 10.32 bus whizzed past your stop at 10.30. Its really not all about you!

Reactions: rbt
There is a circle of life, even for transit vehicles.

- Paul

Bye Bye Brill.jpg
Good Bye.jpg

Attachments

• Bye Bye Brill.jpg
    Bye Bye Brill.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 494
  • Good Bye.jpg
    Good Bye.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 446
CLRV 4000 being taken to the scrap yard

Well they certainly weren't very graceful. Had to cringe a bit while watching.

Wonder the going rate would be to take it off TTC's hands + delivery. Surprised if no one opted to buy one to turn into a cottage addition, maybe diner, or just dump on their rural property for fun.

You might not be so keen if your 10.32 bus whizzed past your stop at 10.30. Its really not all about you!

Luckily I use NextBus, as unreliable as it can be at times. I live along a twice hourly route in TO.

However, after living on the outskirts of Sudbury, where a bus comes every 2-3 hours, I have nothing to complain about. (Toronto feels like heaven after that.)

I always ensure I'm at the stop well in advance of the bus coming.

Anyone happen to know what the hell was going on around noon today on the Sheppard Line. This had to be my most annoying experience ever over my twelve years of using the line regularly.

Maybe has something to do with this...

Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 5.41.27 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 5.41.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 5.41.27 PM.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 591
Anybody care to speculate who might replace Andy Byford as TTC CEO? It's been reported that the TTC is looking internationally once again rather than within its ranks.

The better question is will the current rank and file depart for NYC?
I suspect a few will be going with Andy in 2018 and depends on what Andy finds at MTA once he there full time.

MTA most likely needs house cleaning like TTC before Andy came around.

Best to look outside of TTC for a new CEO.

Best to look outside of TTC for a new CEO.

Any guesses?

Maybe we should look to highly efficient systems that effectively carry a large number of passengers on constrained systems like those in Hong Kong, Seoul, Singapore or Tokyo or we could look at a transit system that rapidly expanded like Madrid which remains a successful model.

Back