News   Jul 15, 2024
 747     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 906     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 634     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

It's a slippery slope once you start listing non-subways on the subway map. I think listing the Airport Rocket is a good idea as this will help visitors arriving/departing from Pearson but once you start adding other surface routes the map just becomes too messy and which routes do you include?

If the Eglinton and Finch West at-grade LRTs are going on the map, use their average speeds as the standard. The 84E (currently 196A), 185, 188 and 198 would probably meet that standard.

If the Eglinton and Finch West at-grade LRTs are going on the map, use their average speeds as the standard. The 84E (currently 196A), 185, 188 and 198 would probably meet that standard.
The problem with adding bus routes of any type it will just add clutter to the map plus if they change a route then it means they have to update the maps in the subway all over again. Maybe they could do like Go transit does and add to the station announcements what bus and streetcar routes are available at each station.

Another one bites the dust:

Toronto transit driver suspended after failing drug test

A Toronto transit driver has failed a test — the first driver to fail since the Toronto Transit Commission introduced random drug testing.

TTC spokesman Brad Ross confirms the test was carried out on Saturday and the positive test results came back on Wednesday.

It’s not known what kind of vehicle the employee was operating or what substance was involved.

The unidentified employee has been suspended with pay pending a disciplinary hearing.

Since the TTC began random drug testing on May 8, more than 300 employees have been tested with a total of eight employees have tested positive — two for alcohol and six for drugs.

Ross also confirmed that TTC CEO Andy Byford’s name was recently pulled for a random test and his result came back negative.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/06/23/toronto-transit-driver-suspended-after-failing-drug-test

At least force them to use their vacation. Something. Please.

Sounds to me like what we really need is more unionization. These rules are in place to protect employees from being unjustly fired, so the TTC can't just say "you tested positive for this drug" and get rid of you. I bet most of the people who complain about it really just wish that they had the same sort of protection in their workplace.

Sounds to me like what we really need is more unionization. These rules are in place to protect employees from being unjustly fired, so the TTC can't just say "you tested positive for this drug" and get rid of you. I bet most of the people who complain about it really just wish that they had the same sort of protection in their workplace.
Ya.. Of course we wish we were protected from being bad employees. We wish we couldn't get fired after fraudulent activities, drug impairment, alcohol impairment, surliness, etc...

This is why most people have a problem with public sector unions. This isn't conducive to a successful enterprise.

What makes you think that it's just a problem with public sector employees?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
I don't know about you, but in every industry I've worked in(Finance and Technology), these types of activities would cause you to be let go with cause. You can certainly fight it on your dime, but there's no second chances if you're drunk at the office or scamming the company.

I don't know about you, but in every industry I've worked in(Finance and Technology), these types of activities would cause you to be let go with cause. You can certainly fight it on your dime, but there's no second chances if you're drunk at the office or scamming the company.
Because I've never seen anyone from Bay Street drink at lunch downtown.

The issue with public sector unions is that there isn't as much risk involved with negotiations with the employer- with private sector unions, there needs to be a balance played out between worker compensation and business profitability- unfair deals (or lack of deals) can result in the business going bankrupt and the private-sector union employees finding themselves out of a job and pension (i.e. Unilever Toronto a few years ago).

Of course, there are plenty of wrinkles along the way (i.e. Stelco where US Steel stole work from Hamilton and tried to wriggle out of paying pensions), but the basic premise holds IMO.

Last edited:
It's amazing the things you will see on the TTC sometimes...

Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 5.04.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 5.04.58 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 5.04.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 5.04.58 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 362
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 5.04.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 5.04.39 PM.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 368
Is someone working in public safety on Bay Street? Driving buses maybe? Trains?

No. Those guys are treating their valuable clients to a drink. It's in the job description.
You are the one who used Finance and Technology as examples. I see such folks at lunch. Occasionally it's a client. Mostly they are with workmates. And beers.

It's amazing the things you will see on the TTC sometimes...

View attachment 113011

View attachment 113010

I'm convinced people in this city have gone completely nuts over the past 10-15 years. Before that time, it would be unheard of to hear about the incessant amount of "medical emergencies", trespassers on track level, security incidents, etc.. on the TTC. Now it's essentially a daily ritual and if you dont hear about one, chances are that you would think you would in a dream.

And even with all of this in mind, the TTC goes ahead and continues with their low suite of security around their subway yards. Keele Yard is another one that immediately comes to mind where this kind of non-sense can happen with ease.

Back