News   Jul 15, 2024
 173     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 350     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.8K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

What?!? The Honda Indy is in the CNE grounds, well west of anywhere the 510 runs. Why on Earth do they have to cancel 510 service along Queen's Quay to Union for road closures several blocks west?
Horrible traffic?

Last time something similar in horrible traffic happened, I remember walking faster than streetcar even far away from downtown. I would not be surprised if I could walk Union to Exhibition Place twice to THREE times as fast (maybe four or five!) as the streetcar on a similar day like that one a long ago (it was so long ago, it may have been on King)

But with Queens Quay redone and having its own ROW now, I am not sure...

Maybe pedestrian traffic?

Last edited:
Just curious am I the only one trying to figure out why this diversion makes any sense at all. http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Route_diversions/510_indy.jsp

I suspect someone cut and paste this notice "511 Bathurst - road closures during Honda Indy" without changing the narrative in the headline. Further, I suspect they deliberately didn't change the headline as the real reason they are not running the 510 to Union is difficult to explain. I bet they expect this weekend a very high percentage of riders (75+%), all with very low knowledge of the system, to be departing Union to travel to Fleet Loop, and they don't want to to deal with 50,000 people asking the same "is this the streetcar that goes to the Indy"? question.

Basically they think the minority of travelers who want a trip to/from Union to/from somewhere on Spadina are savvy enough to make a transfer at QQ, but people going to the Indy cannot handle a transfer there without an army of TTC staff holding their hands.

If this is what's really going on it's possible this is actually a good arrangement and will save time and energy.

Last edited:
The intersection of Bathurst & College is fully open to traffic now.

IMG_0150.JPG

Work is almost complete on this streetcar stop.

IMG_0151.JPG

Meanwhile the eastbound streetcar island has been removed. From now on it will be curbside.

IMG_0152.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0150.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 485
  • IMG_0151.JPG
    IMG_0151.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 466
  • IMG_0152.JPG
    IMG_0152.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 590
Even opened one day early.

And what does the TTC do to continue alleviate this good news? Shut down half the 506 until October. #facepalm
I'm a little confused by all the timing as well. It would have made sense to do College & Bathurst, the Lansdowne connection for the 506, and the streetscaping on College all simultaneously. That would have minimized the disruption. I'm also kind of shocked that it takes this long and requires this much of a shutdown just to do a bit of streetscaping.

I'm a little confused by all the timing as well. It would have made sense to do College & Bathurst, the Lansdowne connection for the 506, and the streetscaping on College all simultaneously. That would have minimized the disruption. I'm also kind of shocked that it takes this long and requires this much of a shutdown just to do a bit of streetscaping.

They need access to Hillcrest ASAP for the new streetcars, 512, and access for the rebuilt and overhauled CLRV & ALRV streetcars. Are the Roncesvalles barn tracks still being worked on?

What?!? The Honda Indy is in the CNE grounds, well west of anywhere the 510 runs. Why on Earth do they have to cancel 510 service along Queen's Quay to Union for road closures several blocks west?

They beefed up service on the 509 for the weekend. Those couple of cars that would have run to Union, and some others crewed by guys on overtime were running on the 509 instead.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

They beefed up service on the 509 for the weekend. Those couple of cars that would have run to Union, and some others crewed by guys on overtime were running on the 509 instead.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I think that was really unnecessary and all it did was cause confusion I saw a number of poel waiting for 510 cars at stops that didn't know about it. It was stupid during the Pan Am games and stupid now I hope they never do it again in the future, there is no good reason for them to not run he 510 the whole length of the route, unless there is track work going on.

Even opened one day early.

And what does the TTC do to continue alleviate this good news? Shut down half the 506 until October. #facepalm
There's watermain work and the Ossington/College intersection is up for redos too. It's not entirely the TTC's fault.

It better for the TTC to run consistent service instead of swapping between buses and streetcars. TTC also decided to do full bus replacement overnight and on weekends to remove the transfer. This is a huge step forward instead of doing what they are doing on the 501 and having people to transfer between bus and streetcars.

Back