News   Sep 13, 2024
 137     0 
News   Sep 13, 2024
 444     0 
News   Sep 13, 2024
 363     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Wifi is not a core TTC service, and if removal of wifi help to keep people from lingering at stations, all the better.
I can't say I've observed this issue.

Unless you are suggesting the increasing number of homeless and peddlers in the station is that they are attracted there by the wi-fi. :)

Reactions: max
The 5-second ad?
Yes, the 5 second ad. What was confusing here?

35% retention after most mobile users could use data instead is high. I don't see why people are responding so favourable to Rogers' spin.
It's not spin, you just don't like it. 35% retention and falling is not enough to replace an entire wi-fi network that is EOL.

Many 2012 reports and comments discuss wi-fi. Are you suggesting that the TTC, who write some of the most detailed contracts I've ever seen, didn't specify the frequencies and protocols that the wireless system would use?
Show me the contract.

They never attempted to install it on trains. Not sure the point here.
Which made it utterly useless.

Yes, the 5 second ad. What was confusing here?
That 5-second makes much difference when the average wait for the next train is measured in minutes!

It's not spin, you just don't like it. 35% retention and falling is not enough to replace an entire wi-fi network that is EOL.
The contractual agreement was for 20-years, with payments by TTC. Surely NO hardware is going to last 20 years, and mid-life replacement was always part of this.

35% is huge ... I really baffled.

Which made it utterly useless.
For you perhaps. I certainly use it. And still do!

Heck, just the other day, wi-fi connected fine at Sherbourne - but my mobile data wouldn't do anything (which is when I tried wi-fi).

That 5-second makes much difference when the average wait for the next train is measured in minutes!
Yes.
The contractual agreement was for 20-years, with payments by TTC. Surely NO hardware is going to last 20 years, and mid-life replacement was always part of this.
Again. Show the contract.
35% is huge ... I really baffled.
It's not. It's the beginning of the end. If you were a business and lost 65% of your customers, you'd be out of business.
For you perhaps. I certainly use it. And still do!
Soon you won't.

Again. Show the contract.
You (should) well know that the contract is confidential. There was more than enough discussion on this, both on paper, and verbally at the board, that everyone knew it included wi-fi.

If you were a business and lost 65% of your customers, you'd be out of business.
If your business model was to support both wi-fi and mobile, but mobile implementation was mostly delayed until 2023/2024, and even then got a 35%/65% split, you'd be fired if you let 35% of your base go - unless you find a way to both reduce the contracted maintenance and increase profit on the 35%.

You don't think that Rogers will not see some increased savings and/or revenue from this? Meanwhile TTC revenue is unchanged (unless this was part of Lilley's claims of secret contract deal with Rogers that bypassed the board).

It pains me to think that Lilley might be right.

Ok.. you had me up until this point.

This isn't a white privilege thing. What this is, is the reality that 99% of plans have Data even minimally.

Don't turn this into a race issue.

Who s*** in your cornflakes?

The next train estimates are only an estimate.

By the time you connect, find something and download it trains have come and gone.

The only time I ever used Wifi was when I was sitting at a station during delays. I was there for a significant amount of time and would stream my scanner to find out more info.
Yeah what a nutty take.

Imagine people having to go a few minutes without being able to watch enshittified content on TikTok between brands advertising low end crap. What could there even be left in life to live for?! [insert 20 crying emojis and hashtag CBC News]

Last edited:
Saturday September 28, 9am.
Hillcrest shops, 1138 Bathurst st. Toronto.
This is probably the large major streetcar shop around.
Please consider attending.
In November, construction starts to convert this shop to a LRT shop.
The Transfer table will be removed and the pit will be filled in.
$5cdn donation to the United Way as admission.

Saturday September 28, 9am.
Hillcrest shops, 1138 Bathurst st. Toronto.
This is probably the large major streetcar shop around.
Please consider attending.
In November, construction starts to convert this shop to a LRT shop.
The Transfer table will be removed and the pit will be filled in.
$5cdn donation to the United Way as admission.
what is this?
admission to what?

Back