News   Sep 09, 2024
 698     0 
News   Sep 09, 2024
 1.2K     4 
News   Sep 09, 2024
 593     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Capital is not funded from fares and never will be.

Seniors and low income people would oppose getting cheaper passes than they currently have? Are you sure?

Yes, single rides for those groups would be higher, but if you're not in pass territory, (ie. significantly below 40 rides a month) then the impact isn't that substantial, given my proposal lowers the adult fare.

An occasional rider senior pays $2.25 per ride, so my proposal adds .75c, if they take 4 rides per week, or 16 per month, their increase is $12; but for frequent ride senior (40'ish or more rides) my proposal saves $8 per month, and adds 3-hour ride windows as well.

I don't think the challenge is as daunting as you make it seem.
You really think people are that smart?
The carbon tax exists and people literally make money from it (me included). But when have you ever heard of someone doing the math?
Remember the homeownership rate of seniors is 70%. They're usually the loudest when it comes to anything tax related

excluding the capital projects, the SOGR is $8 billion. That definitely is funded from fares.

Seniors and low income people would oppose getting cheaper passes than they currently have? Are you sure?

Yes, single rides for those groups would be higher, but if you're not in pass territory, (ie. significantly below 40 rides a month) then the impact isn't that substantial, given my proposal lowers the adult fare.

An occasional rider senior pays $2.25 per ride, so my proposal adds .75c, if they take 4 rides per week, or 16 per month, their increase is $12; but for frequent ride senior (40'ish or more rides) my proposal saves $8 per month, and adds 3-hour ride windows as well.

I don't think the challenge is as daunting as you make it seem.
There are way fewer seniors riding 40+ rides a month than you think. This would be a massive fare increase for the vast majority of seniors. You can argue whether or not that they deserve that.

I also massively disagree with the removal of the low income pass program, which in reality should be greatly expanded to justify some degree of clawbacks to youth and senior fare discounts. Adding ridership by lowering the cost barrier for low-income riders reduces fare evasion and brings more funding to the TTC via the Gas Tax. It's possible that these two factors would offset the revenue loss due to the fare reduction.

Pre-school children under 5 travel free (without a PRESTO card) when accompanied by a fare-paying customer.

After the child’s 6th birthday, the family should visit a participating Shoppers Drug Mart or a Customer Service Outlet location to set up their children's PRESTO card. Children 12 and under still travel free. Proof of age would be required. Expires on the child's 13th birthday and does not automatically switch to a Youth fare type.

Currently, children do not have to use a PRESTO card. They should above 5 years old and show a PRESTO card. The elementary schools should be able to set up a child's PRESTO card as part of their school registration.

Children should be able to put their PRESTO card on their smartphones and use them. Everyone over 5 years old should have to use their PRESTO card (or token, or ticket, or credit card, or debit card, or coins).

Instead of the current fare box, they should use a coin fare collector like other transit agencies use.

Unfortunately, with the TTC being underfunded for operations, the TTC would be unable to even pilot such fareboxes.

Last edited:
After the child’s 6th birthday, the family should visit a participating Shoppers Drug Mart or a Customer Service Outlet location to set up their children's PRESTO card. Children 12 and under still travel free. Proof of age would be required. Expires on the child's 13th birthday and does not automatically switch to a Youth fare type.
Why bother? They've found that the vast majority of those with child's cards (which are still necessary on some system - such as York, where children 6-up pay a fare) are used by adults.

Why put a LOT more into circulation?

This is an incredibly passive aggressive announcement from a media relations team!

1725920331432.png

I also massively disagree with the removal of the low income pass program

So you disagree with lowering the price of the low-income pass then?

What I proposed is a $120 per month pass for every paying rider.

The current low income pass is $128 per month.

So you're advocating for low income earners paying more than under my proposal.

This always gets me, not to pick on you Duffo, but people respond instinctively, instead of carefully reading what's written, or actually doing the math.

My version of this lowers costs for low-income pass users for seniors pass users for student pass users and for adult pass users.

The only large price hike is for children 4-12 who are now free and would instead have to pay; with a smaller hike for single rides for seniors and students, but offset, in part, by a larger travel window.

Its possible to set the single-fare price and pass price lower, but my scheme was meant so you could fund it mostly by offsets, higher ridership and lower fare evasion, though I expect there would be some net cost.

If you want to set the single ride fare at $2.50, and the pass at $100 you could do that too; but that would like add 250M to the cost.

I would get rid of the collectors and abolish the cash fare and the seniors discount. Seniors should pay the same rate as everyone else. The only concession we should offer are for students and for low income. I would also support a fare increase to make the adult fare $3.50 if it meant we can get the subway service restored to 2min frequency and the slow zones fixed ASAP. Heck I’d even suggest to take it up to $4 by 2028. The TTC is in desperate need to be spruced up and repaired so it’s functional and somewhat reliable. Use the fare collectors to move them around and catch the fare cheaters. There is no need for the subway system to accept cash anymore.

Back