News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 454     0 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

I assume, since there's no elevator, they were just unloading them there before carrying them downstairs and those are the last two...of all the TTC's faults, I don't think THAT's the one to get upset about. lol

I wonder if they are too heavy to fit on an escalator. If not they could just bring them down on a workcar overnight.

I wonder if they are too heavy to fit on an escalator. If not they could just bring them down on a workcar overnight.

judging by the snow cover, it's safe to say that they were left unattended for some time. Now for this particular moment it doesn't seem really bad, it just goes to show off the inefficiencies with regards to their construction management. snow buildup and freezing temps can damage these units before it even starts service.

judging by the snow cover, it's safe to say that they were left unattended for some time. Now for this particular moment it doesn't seem really bad, it just goes to show off the inefficiencies with regards to their construction management. snow buildup and freezing temps can damage these units before it even starts service.

They could have even moved it about 5-8 feet further in and closed the entrance doors. No weather damages if they are inside behind a closed door.

They could have even moved it about 5-8 feet further in and closed the entrance doors. No weather damages if they are inside behind a closed door.

Well, they must have some sort of weather resistance. The same gates here in Ottawa are in shelters that aren't fully enclosed (roof and walls, but no doors)

upload_2018-2-7_20-46-3.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-7_20-46-3.png
    upload_2018-2-7_20-46-3.png
    921.5 KB · Views: 490
I can see Dufferin Loop being removed from the fare paid area. As it stands now it is only fare paid during events like the CNE, no sense in installing gates to use them 1 month out of the year.

They easily could when tokens are gone for good. They just have it fare-paid during the CNE so the buses and streetcars don't get bogged down by lines of people waiting to pay.

They easily could when tokens are gone for good. They just have it fare-paid during the CNE so the buses and streetcars don't get bogged down by lines of people waiting to pay.

I think they may just end up with a temporary reader at the gates like they do for fare gate construction unless they come up with GO transit style solution where you can tap on the platform in some cases (think Niagara Falls). No sense in putting full gates there or at Exhibition East loop

I think they may just end up with a temporary reader at the gates like they do for fare gate construction unless they come up with GO transit style solution where you can tap on the platform in some cases (think Niagara Falls). No sense in putting full gates there or at Exhibition East loop

What's the point in that when the buses already have Presto readers? If anything they'd put in the fare vending machines that have already gone in at some other streetcar stops, for people who still need to pay by cash or credit/debit.

What's the point in that when the buses already have Presto readers? If anything they'd put in the fare vending machines that have already gone in at some other streetcar stops, for people who still need to pay by cash or credit/debit.

During the CNE the Exhibition Loops (east and west) are fare paid areas due to the high usage by people going to the Ex. Not sure when you were last at the Dufferin Gates during the CNE but it can be overwhelmed at times. Having everyone tap in on the vehicle would make dwell times incredibly high and that's IF they can even get to the reader (as the busses are usually crush loaded).

Having a fare vending machine at the loop is also pointless as it is only a fare paid zone for about 4 weeks a year. In the middle of January there is no need for crowd control measures and the lone person at the loop can tap out without impacting dwell times.

By installing temporary presto card readers you can tap when you enter the loop and hop aboard your vehicle without any delay.

judging by the snow cover, it's safe to say that they were left unattended for some time. Now for this particular moment it doesn't seem really bad, it just goes to show of the inefficiencies with regards to their construction management. snow buildup and freezing temps can damage these units before it even starts service.

Well, it was snowing pretty heavily downtown so that's why there's snow on them. I assume that they were mostly loaded into the inside of the covered area, but they didn't all fit. And then when they carried them down the stairs they had to start with the ones that were on the inside because they were blocking access to the ones on the outside. I still don't see why this is an issue to get all worked up about lol When I walked by soon after they were gone and the fencing was removed and people were once again using that exit.

By installing temporary presto card readers you can tap when you enter the loop and hop aboard your vehicle without any delay.

And what happens with people who don't have Presto and need to pay some other way? There's probably a lot more of them during the CNE because of the tourist attractions there.

And what happens with people who don't have Presto and need to pay some other way? There's probably a lot more of them during the CNE because of the tourist attractions there.

For the limited usage of the loop there is no need for a fare machine. Period.

Do you think places like London put fare vending machines everywhere just because tourists show up? They tell you that you should have got the proper fare meda prior.

Also.. tourists will likely not be buying single fares everywhere they go.

Do you think places like London put fare vending machines everywhere just because tourists show up? They tell you that you should have got the proper fare meda prior.
In my personal experience in London, last time that happened, 10 months ago, waving Oyster card on bus without Oyster, the guard said don't worry about it.

Back