News   Jul 26, 2024
 784     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.6K     3 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

This is the most retarded thing I've heard. How can building rights and building code regulations hold this pedestrian tunnel from opening for over 2 years? It's probably not a huge priority compared all the other problems the TTC has, but really, how?

Go read the Emerald Park thread. It's got all the info you want about the tunnel, and all the info you don't want about ethnic shopping malls in the area.

Secondly, he is clearly holding a Metropass, not a Presto card, to the reader.

But it says "tap card here". A metropass is a card.

Welcome to the real world. If you make something idiot-proof, life will make a better idiot. The only thing they could change is to write "PRESTO" right on the reader instead of below it, but someone will still find a way to screw that up.

I remember bringing this up and then multiple people saying the gates opened fast enough... ;) Nonetheless I still think that if it really is possible to have the gates react fast then move to the Japanese model where they are always open unless people try to walk through without paying,
Interesting gate behavior.... A gate that only shuts when you step forward without paying. Innocent by default until proven guilty.

This is typical japanese efficiency, and compliance rates are very high there.

Oh lord. It maybe useful in preventing pushing related breakdowns, but how crude a "solution" is that.

On the other hand, it is exactly the kind of solution TTC would select.

AoD
Oh, I wasn't suggesting it was a solution... It's quite the opposite. It seems to be a technical issue.

But it says "tap card here". A metropass is a card.

Welcome to the real world. If you make something idiot-proof, life will make a better idiot. The only thing they could change is to write "PRESTO" right on the reader instead of below it, but someone will still find a way to screw that up.

They do say Presto on them. There are also readers directly adjacent to those ones that say "swipe card here" and have the exact same magnetic stripe readers that the person in the story had, most likely, been using for years on existing turnstiles.

Interesting gate behavior.... A gate that only shuts when you step forward without paying. Innocent by default until proven guilty.

This is typical japanese efficiency, and compliance rates are very high there.

I have no confidence in our riders being able to use them. They will be utterly perplexed when the gates close on them, trying to understand how you put money into the fare gate or where to insert their paper transfer.

They do say Presto on them. There are also readers directly adjacent to those ones that say "swipe card here" and have the exact same magnetic stripe readers that the person in the story had, most likely, been using for years on existing turnstiles.

I was being sarcastic. I mean... My Starbucks Card is also *a* card, so that should also work on the Presto readers, right? Where's my Toronto Star article?

well if at all blame the TTC for keeping most torontonians in the stone age...our eyes were really just opened from last year on what the rest of the world had been doing for years...
its kind of like a north korean wandering into a south korean city....

well if at all blame the TTC for keeping most torontonians in the stone age...our eyes were really just opened from last year on what the rest of the world had been doing for years...
its kind of like a north korean wandering into a south korean city....
Maybe not that extreme, but yes, actually recognizing electronic payment, LRT, and fare integration as already existing should have happened a decade or more ago.

At least we appear to be working hard to try to start moving towards catching up (really we are incredibly far behind). The fortunate thing about being so far back in the race should be that we can let other cities experiment with different ideas and learn from their mistakes, something we don't seem to have done for PRESTO.
It's was because other systems "did not have the functionality" that PRESTO needed to have. That is BS

Reminds me of the late 1980's, when the Ontario government studied and implemented a specially designed and built microcomputers for use in schools. They spent millions. Only by the mid-1990's, that all ended as a white elephant, as schools went PC's and Macintoshs instead. See link.

Throughout the project's lifetime it was subject to continual debate and much political rhetoric. A 1992 article on the topic complained that

Bette Stephenson favoured top-down decision making and as a result got trapped by her tunnel vision. Her ICON computer fiasco drained millions from the provincial treasury and created a white elephant scorned by boards and shunned by teachers.... Computer resources were forced upon the school system as a result of a top-down government decision that was taken precipitously and without research.​

The Ministry ceased all support for the ICON in 1994, and Archives Ontario declined to take ICON hardware and copies of the ICON software, which were destroyed. This was controversial in its own right, as others maintained that it could be sent to other schools that lacked extensive Information Technology. Despite the development of the ICON program, equality among schools was not assured because each school community could afford different capital outlays depending on the parents' affluence.

BTW. That was a Progressive Conservative government in Ontario at the time of introduction. So it could be any political party in charge.

Back