News   Jul 11, 2024
 165     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 514     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 631     1 

TTC: Jane (LRT) RapidTO

If anything gets build on Jane, it would probably a light metro like the Ontario Line, and in fact I think its quite possible that that is where a western extension of the Ontario Line will go.
Well I guess that OL can follow the GO corridor above grade to save money and after High Park go north to connect to Jane street. This would fix a lot of current problems with transit in the West End.

With the new Park Lawn GO and work on existing Mimico GO, it maybe doesn't make sense to continue in that direction.

Only other alternative for OL I see is for it to follow Queensway, as there is going to be a lot of density there as well.

But that is all speculation. It is sad that there are no long term plans in Toronto. We should be able to say what we want to accomplish in 10, 25, 50 years from now.

There’s also the prospect that the Ontario Line could be extended north west to Jane Station particularly if GO RER is successful which would make extending it to Dundas West or Long Branch redundant.

And plus tunneling through the park is a lot easier and less disruptive.

Well I guess that OL can follow the GO corridor above grade to save money and after High Park go north to connect to Jane street. This would fix a lot of current problems with transit in the West End.

With the new Park Lawn GO and work on existing Mimico GO, it maybe doesn't make sense to continue in that direction.

Only other alternative for OL I see is for it to follow Queensway, as there is going to be a lot of density there as well.

But that is all speculation. It is sad that there are no long term plans in Toronto. We should be able to say what we want to accomplish in 10, 25, 50 years from now.

I am assuming that Jane LRT will be planned alongside the western leg of the OL. My assumption is that the OL will go to the airport. So, until they have a preliminary design, we likely won't see much on Jane. Given the other RT U/C and others planned and wanted more, this one will likely not be started for about 10 years. Currently the Corsstown and Finch LRTs are under construction. The OL is planned. There is a desire to replace the SRT. I would say once the lines U/C are done, and the others have started, we will see a Jane LRT plan released.

1. Likely the JANE LRT will have only one station after Jane & Bloor, at The Queensway.

2. For now, they should re-instate the 138 SOUTH KINGSWAY bus, or an extension of the 55 WARREN PARK bus, until we get a JANE LRT.

138 SOUTH KINGSWAY
138-south-kingsway-tt2.png

From link. In operation from 1986 to 1996, rush hours only. It was removed because of the loss of provincial operational subsidies, on orders of Mike Harris (who is now chair of a privately-owned long term care company, with the same results).

55 WARREN PARK
055map.gif

My assumption is that the OL will go to the airport. So, until they have a preliminary design, we likely won't see much on Jane.
Huh?? I don't think there's ever been a mention of it going in that direction. Its western terminus to start with will be on the Lakeshore West corridor, so most likely it will end up continuing westwards. If not, we will likely have all-day two-way service to Bramalea by the time it's extended from Exhibition, making yet another diagonal line to Pearson irrelevant.

I would personally prefer if the route went down Queensway, but Jane would be a pretty viable second choice. Failing that, it could also follow the existing GO corridor to Long Branch, detour south to the old Christie's Bakery, veer north or south at Islington/Kipling, maybe even going up Dufferin. People will not want to take the OL to Pearson when multiple grade-separated lines already exist and will get there faster or serve new communities along the way

Huh?? I don't think there's ever been a mention of it going in that direction. Its western terminus to start with will be on the Lakeshore West corridor, so most likely it will end up continuing westwards. If not, we will likely have all-day two-way service to Bramalea by the time it's extended from Exhibition, making yet another diagonal line to Pearson irrelevant.

I would personally prefer if the route went down Queensway, but Jane would be a pretty viable second choice. Failing that, it could also follow the existing GO corridor to Long Branch, detour south to the old Christie's Bakery, veer north or south at Islington/Kipling, maybe even going up Dufferin. People will not want to take the OL to Pearson when multiple grade-separated lines already exist and will get there faster or serve new communities along the way
It would make sense to run it along the Queensway and then up the 427.

Maybe if there is an interchange with a Line 2 extension somewhere between the 427 and Vansco Road. The biggest problem with running it along the 427 is there wouldn't be much in the way of east-west connections along the route, except possibly a Dundas BRT connection.

I am assuming that Jane LRT will be planned alongside the western leg of the OL. My assumption is that the OL will go to the airport. So, until they have a preliminary design, we likely won't see much on Jane. Given the other RT U/C and others planned and wanted more, this one will likely not be started for about 10 years. Currently the Corsstown and Finch LRTs are under construction. The OL is planned. There is a desire to replace the SRT. I would say once the lines U/C are done, and the others have started, we will see a Jane LRT plan released.
In all of these cases, the Lakeshore West line will already be heading in that direction, a route that will be mostly quadtracked, meaning that we are freely able to build a ton of stations while keeping room for Express tracks. This kinda leads to the conundrum the Ontario Line has in terms of western extensions and why I think having it go above ground along queensway then become a Jane Subway makes the most sense. Going to Dundas West like the initial DRL plan makes little sense because that's duplicating Kitchener. Going to New Toronto and Southern Etobicoke doesn't make much sense either since that's duplicating LSW and Waterfront West if that ever gets built (Waterfront West can be like a local fast route which pairs itself nicely with LSW). This kind of leaves Jane as the obvious final answer.

It may stay south of Bloor, but until the line is built Jane LRT likely wont be planned out fully.

In all of these cases, the Lakeshore West line will already be heading in that direction, a route that will be mostly quadtracked, meaning that we are freely able to build a ton of stations while keeping room for Express tracks. This kinda leads to the conundrum the Ontario Line has in terms of western extensions and why I think having it go above ground along queensway then become a Jane Subway makes the most sense. Going to Dundas West like the initial DRL plan makes little sense because that's duplicating Kitchener. Going to New Toronto and Southern Etobicoke doesn't make much sense either since that's duplicating LSW and Waterfront West if that ever gets built (Waterfront West can be like a local fast route which pairs itself nicely with LSW). This kind of leaves Jane as the obvious final answer.
Which really only supports the idea that until it is built at least to Exhibition, Jane won't be looked at.

Because of where the current Subway goes in Vaughan, I don't think it will be a straight Jane subway. It would make some sense to make it's way to the Airport.

It may stay south of Bloor, but until the line is built Jane LRT likely wont be planned out fully.

Which really only supports the idea that until it is built at least to Exhibition, Jane won't be looked at.

Because of where the current Subway goes in Vaughan, I don't think it will be a straight Jane subway. It would make some sense to make it's way to the Airport.
Well I say "Subway" in loose terms. I'm hoping for a subway to Lawrence, and then an El beyond that.

Well I say "Subway" in loose terms. I'm hoping for a subway to Lawrence, and then an El beyond that.
The southern part of "subway" in Swansea would be below the lake level of Lake Ontario and the now buried ponds. A "subway" for the LRT would be a "wet" endeavour, especially as it approaches the lake.

The southern part of "subway" in Swansea would be below the lake level of Lake Ontario and the now buried ponds. A "subway" for the LRT would be a "wet" endeavour, especially as it approaches the lake.
Something unfortunate to consider I guess.

Back