News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.8K     10 

TTC is awful. Just got back from a 4 month trip to Europe.

Felino

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
First off, there was an interesting discussion on TTC being horrible. Why did AlvinofDiaspar close it? You claim it was a 'pointless thread'? You abused your power as 'moderator' by closing a thread that was not a problem. In fact, many seemed to enjoy that thread. I see many threads that are pointless in my opinion. If it isn't racy, why close it?

I can tell you from my trip, Toronto's transit system is awful. From a lack of subway lines, to drivers that are rude and over paid. The cars are dirty. The streetcars remind me of Germany in the 1960s.

In order of questions asked...

The first thread was closed because it was getting nowhere, almost turning into a flame war.
It was a pointless thread because it was complaining without any productivity coming out of it. It was not an abuse of power, just something to keep this excellent forum clean and tidy. I bet that if there was a "racy" thread that was actually getting a discussion going, there'd be little problem with the mods.

Yes, Toronto's Transit is severely lacking. This isn't gonna turn into a TC-hating thread, but we do desperately need more subways.
The drivers are in desperate need of disciplining, and the service they provide needs to be improved and reorganized.
The cars are dirty, but the new cars (whether they be bus, streetcar or subway,) are looking quite nice.
The streetcars remind you of Germany in the 1960s because they are from the 70's, when they were bought to keep the fleet going. We're getting new ones, patience.

First off, there was an interesting discussion on TTC being horrible. Why did AlvinofDiaspar close it? You claim it was a 'pointless thread'? You abused your power as 'moderator' by closing a thread that was not a problem. In fact, many seemed to enjoy that thread. I see many threads that are pointless in my opinion. If it isn't racy, why close it?

I can tell you from my trip, Toronto's transit system is awful. From a lack of subway lines, to drivers that are rude and over paid. The cars are dirty. The streetcars remind me of Germany in the 1960s.

I don't think you're in any position to criticize the mods when all you're doing is parroting the same complaints that have been repeated a million times. This forum thrives because of informed, intelligent discussion. If you want a non-stop TTC bitchfest look elsewhere.

The reason he closed it was because it WAS pointless: if was just going to turn into a cess-pool of trolling and bitching.

You think the TTC is awful. Great. Now what are we suppost to discuss?

Why don't you create a thread on how to make a better TTC? What do you think about the magement? What about raising the Taxes and Fairs to pay for something like they have in Europe (I doubt a 54% tax rate would fly here... not to mention the 60 Billion euros of debt Berlin has.) I'm all for transit, but you do have to realize that there are always two sides to every coin.

You had a trip to Europe and the transit was good. Good for you. Thank you for enlightening us and telling us something of which all the transit geeks on this forums know nothing about... :rolleyes:

(Not to mention you created this thread in the wrong section.)

Felino, perhaps you should voluntarily donate a percentage of your income to the TTC?

If everybody did that, maybe it would achieve the funding levels of it's European counterparts.

Bull ... have you been to London?

The stations are dirtier, the subways are dirtier, if you think the TTC has problems they have daily closures ... in their favour though, a daily closer in London is OK seeing all the alternate lines they have.

They're bus system is lacking severely - this may not be a problem for a large part of London but it is for others. Moreover, I encountered a fairly rude driver the last time I was there when I asked for directions ... so no, it's not a TTC thing.

In defense of TTC drivers, most of the ones I've met are extremely nice and willing to help - but yes there are exceptions and there should be less of the.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Bull ... have you been to London?

The stations are dirtier, the subways are dirtier, if you think the TTC has problems they have daily closures ... in their favour though, a daily closer in London is OK seeing all the alternate lines they have.

They're bus system is lacking severely - this may not be a problem for a large part of London but it is for others. Moreover, I encountered a fairly rude driver the last time I was there when I asked for directions ... so no, it's not a TTC thing.

In defense of TTC drivers, most of the ones I've met are extremely nice and willing to help - but yes there are exceptions and there should be less of the.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

One reason you don't notice the rude bus drivers there as much there is they are behind plexiglass and you don't really have an opportunity to interact with them.

I fully agree, it's a truly horrible experience when compared to the rest of the world outside of North America. Compared to NYC, Chicago, Montreal and the other major North American cities I've experienced it holds its own... we simply don't value transit like the Europeans and advanced Asian countries seem to.

My year in Seoul showed me what can happen when transit is a priority. They have individual subway lines (line 1 comes to mind) with more stops then Toronto's entire system, above ground bus routes that go EVERYWHERE and comes every 3-4 minutes (no joke), regional commuter trains come in two flavours - slower and cheap (like a GO train) and high-speed (KTX, like nothing we have) giving transit riders the choice between speed and fares. They can get pretty much everywhere in Seoul by bus or subway. The fare is calculated based on distance traveled (averaging less than $1 per trip) using a smart T-Money card that even works in taxi's and variety stores and knows when you're transfering, the stations are always spotlessly clean and have ample washroom facilities (again, spotless) at EVERY STATION... not to mention the countless employees available to help at all times. Most cell phones are integrated into the network as well so you can calculate trip times, see any delays, and of course use your cell phone anywhere in the tunnels.

The government refuses to cut anything transit related, it's an absolute priority receiving massive investment by all levels of government. They do have a wider gap in classes than we do and have a lower portion of low-income earners the need the transit system to be what it is, but if you go on rush hour it's all well-dressed people and suits that most likely have a car in the driveway at home.

The real problem is the lack of funding from the feds and the province, the TTC's hands are tied. Transit on all levels in this country needs to be a priority, the TTC is just an example of how horribly it's all gone.

The government refuses to cut anything transit related, it's an absolute priority receiving massive investment by all levels of government. They do have a wider gap in classes than we do and have a lower portion of low-income earners the need the transit system to be what it is, but if you go on rush hour it's all well-dressed people and suits that most likely have a car in the driveway at home.

The real problem is the lack of funding from the feds and the province, the TTC's hands are tied. Transit on all levels in this country needs to be a priority, the TTC is just an example of how horribly it's all gone.

Given the recent developments (fare increase) it is becoming apparent that there is still no political will whatsoever to aggressively expand and improve transit in Toronto / GTA. Face it, the bodies have changed, but not the minds. Our premier, our Liberal premier, in fact, is quite taken with the auto sector .... think about it.

Mods, shouldn't this be in the Transportation and Infrastructure section?

and hasn't this topic been beaten to death already?

Mods, shouldn't this be in the Transportation and Infrastructure section?

and hasn't this topic been beaten to death already?

How about in the trash section ...

This is a pointless topic, we have other threads to discuss most every aspect of the TTC you'd like.

andomando:

Clearly a certain member think that rehashing the same old in the wrong subforum when there are 10 billion threads devoted to various shades of the same theme is a good idea (not to mention the sheer lunacy of the initial assertion of TTC being the worst transit system in the developed world being wildly offbase and designed to do one thing - inflame - and this coming from someone who felt that TTC is pretty sub-par). Flinging accusations of "abuse of powers" of course makes it all the more juicier.

Like honestly, I wouldn't pay too much attention to anyone whose posting history is 90% one liner bitchfest material.

Oh and somehow I find it interesting that someone accusing others of abuse of power would decide to have five different accounts (four active, one banned) on the forum

Antón
Corisco
Felino
Viriatus
Virus (banned)

Like honestly, I don't have time for these stupid games.

AoD

Last edited:
haven't you learned that complaining does nothing? Just look at that futile fare hike boycott protest. lol.

That actually worked .............

The major party protesting that day was students, and it seems they got there way. Moreover, the monthly passes only went up to 121 vs 128 or so i.e. but I don't think there were many pitching this VS no increase at all.

TTC hillairty story of the day:

(names and locations changed to protect the innocent)

So on the bus this morning, the driver was paged by CIS.
Instead of picking up the handset, he turned the speaker on so we could all hear.

CIS: "Jim?"

Driver: "What?"

CIS: "Jim?

Driver: "It's Patrick."

CIS: "Oh..... Where are you?"

Driver: "I'm on Richmond."

CIS: "Oh..... What direction?"

Driver: "Westbound. It's a one way street."

CIS: "Oh. Are you on time?"

Driver: "The console says minus six."

CIS: "Oh..... okay."

So, not only do the supervisors still not know where the buses are, if they are on schedule or even what direction they are going, they don't even know who is driving the bus!

Last edited:

Back