News   Jul 15, 2024
 12     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

The only thing that jumps to mind is Bathurst from Lakeshore to near Front, when they rebuild that bridge over the tracks - which isn't much, but there often seems to be more congestion there, than anywhere else on Bathurst when I use that route.

That would certainly make sense. Might as well put in a dedicated ROW where they can, especially if it's a choke point on the route. There are very few places where this can actually be done in downtown.

I think you might have misinterpreted Steve's use of the word right-of-way.

The only thing that jumps to mind is Bathurst from Lakeshore to near Front, when they rebuild that bridge over the tracks - which isn't much, but there often seems to be more congestion there, than anywhere else on Bathurst when I use that route.

Actually if I recall correctly, it would be from Queen till Lakeshore.

Actually if I recall correctly, it would be from Queen till Lakeshore.
That would make sense looking at the street maps on Toronto's website. Looks like the street widens to 30 metres south of Queen. Shame there weren't more streets like that in Toronto.

The Bathurst route is only about 5 km long. 1.5 has dedicated ROW now, and extending it to Queen would make it about 2.7 km. Not insignificant!

Another shot of the rail spur at Hillcrest for delivery of the new LRVs. Anyone care to explain the difference in elevation? The left side is towards the rail line, the main building of the complex is over to the right and in the background.

attachment.php

Another shot of the rail spur at Hillcrest for delivery of the new LRVs. Anyone care to explain the difference in elevation? The left side is towards the rail line, the main building of the complex is over to the right and in the background.

The streetcars come delivered on railway cars, so they obviously need the ramp to drive the streetcars off the railway cars.

I'd assume they back in the freight car on the lower track to the end - and then offload the LRV directly onto the higher track. I'd assume the track on the left is standard gauge, and the one on the right is TTC gauge.

The tracks on the right are probably on an incline, so the new LFLRVs will just roll down. They'll probably use a CLRV to give it a pull, toll it around, and then brake when needed. Just as they do now with a disabled streetcar, using a tow bar.

5065747078_b3e76751cf.jpg

Last edited:
I'd assume they back in the freight car on the lower track to the end - and then offload the LRV directly onto the higher track. I'd assume the track on the left is standard gauge, and the one on the right is TTC gauge.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks. I hadn't thought about the offloading scenario - I'll see what the gauges are like next time I'm around there.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why they opted for rail transport for the new LRVs vs truck transport for the new TR subway trains? Is it purely because of rail availability direct to Hillcrest but not to Wilson yard?

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why they opted for rail transport for the new LRVs vs truck transport for the new TR subway trains? Is it purely because of rail availability direct to Hillcrest but not to Wilson yard?
I don't know, but it could be a function of the size/weight. The TR cars are 23-metres long and weigh about 34 tonnes. The new LRVs are 30-metres long and weigh about 48.2 tonnes. I know some shipping rules changes after you exceed a 25-metre length - though I'd thought the TR's would have exceeded that one you count the cab.

If they really wanted to, they could have reactivated the Greenwood spur and shipped the TRs in that way.

Last edited:
A complete myth.

Rather pessimistic.

Images can be and will be the one international language of the world until the end of time. That's just instincts and simple facts that a graphic can carry a determined message.

Except that there are certain cultural conventions that get in the way of universal understanding. Emergency exits are normally signed in red in N. America for example (stupid btw), and green pretty much everywhere else.

Back