News   May 03, 2024
 851     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 533     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 262     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I never would've thought that this would be a problem for anyone...

I suppose solution is that Alstom should go and lower all that roof mounted equipment so that it protrudes into the interior space of the LRVs so people can hit their heads huh?
Sounds like someone has already hit their head....

I mean its not a top priority but all it would take is a small shroud.

Reactions: DSC
I never would've thought that this would be a problem for anyone...
No one has suggested the top appearance of the streetcars is a problem. I'm merely making an observation and stating an aesthetic preference for clean lines and a finished look.

b573-2012315-streetcar.jpg
YYz5JxifXe7Z4DMFnlyY4q3si7yxTsX72jN1bJ5l26U.jpg

I mean its not a top priority but all it would take is a small shroud.
I've had a quick look online at low floor LRTs and I can't find any with a clean, colour matching top panel; so I suppose the likes of Siemens, Alstom CAF et al, and their customers don't see the need.

Last edited:
That mindset is one where nothing ever improves, I'm too broke to save! I'm too busy to worry about "minor" things.
Aesthetics of the top of the streetcars are not a "minor" problem, they are an annoyance for some that has no impact on how well service is delivered. The TTC may have issues with improving their operations but the issue of the colour of the top of the streetcars is indicative of nothing beyond the preferences of some. Grasping at this as evidence of anything is really quite the reach.

only rabid transit fanatics would care about areas where 99.9% of people will never see, nor will they feel any difference. It would be a different story if this was HSR but we are dealing with speeds under 50km/h avg. Not to mention as mentioned unless you are 8ft tall or intentionally looking down from a building you will never ever see the top of the streetcar. I would rather focus my concerns on why TTC still ordered the new batch with trolley poles despite the entire system converted to panto....

Aesthetics of the top of the streetcars are not a "minor" problem, they are an annoyance for some that has no impact on how well service is delivered. The TTC may have issues with improving their operations but the issue of the colour of the top of the streetcars is indicative of nothing beyond the preferences of some. Grasping at this as evidence of anything is really quite the reach.
I've worked in a lot of places, and the ones that "didn't have time" for aesthetics pretty much always had an attitude of fix it, who cares if we do it right just get it going. The ones that cared about "useless" details usually were a lot better at planning things out. I let them know the lights were out at Leslie 24/7, they "fixed" it but they're on 24/7 now. Sort of adds to my theory

I've worked in a lot of places, and the ones that "didn't have time" for aesthetics pretty much always had an attitude of fix it, who cares if we do it right just get it going. The ones that cared about "useless" details usually were a lot better at planning things out. I let them know the lights were out at Leslie 24/7, they "fixed" it but they're on 24/7 now. Sort of adds to my theory
When you report streetlights out, Toronto Hydro has the very sensible policy of either fixing them or, if they cannot fix them fast, keeping them on 24/7.

Where do you see this? I see several lights out for months
Sorry, I was unclear. I am not talking about individual lights, I am talking about sections of lights (3 or 4 in a row) where the problem is the sensor or switch. Individual streetlights being out is, not unreasonably, a lower priority for repair and some repairs are fast (a new bulb) or not so fast, like a new luminaire or pole.

As far as I am concerned. the open roof doesn't bother me. 99% of people pay no attention to the roof

Detroit QLine LRV where it runs on battery
34284891164_f0cb76d605_b.jpg

I don't know what the problem is. Do people want more taxplayer's money spent on wages to open up aesthetic cages under an overhead wire (and hopefully not electrocute themselves) so the streetcars can look pretty from a condo or for them to just get to work on what they need. The only reason the PCC/CLRVs don't have them opened up cause their components are at the bottom.

Sorry, I was unclear. I am not talking about individual lights, I am talking about sections of lights (3 or 4 in a row) where the problem is the sensor or switch. Individual streetlights being out is, not unreasonably, a lower priority for repair and some repairs are fast (a new bulb) or not so fast, like a new luminaire or pole.
I actually report the lights out pretty often, I'm not doubting they exist but I rarely see lights on in the day, also semi random but it seems they don't repair the cobra ones anymore, about 1/5th of the lights I report end up being converted to LED

I actually report the lights out pretty often, I'm not doubting they exist but I rarely see lights on in the day, also semi random but it seems they don't repair the cobra ones anymore, about 1/5th of the lights I report end up being converted to LED
Yes, FINALLY THSL & the City are moving into LEDs - I just wish they would work harder/faster at converting whole streets or blocks not individual lights as the mish-mash of lighting colours/warmths is jarring!

I've not seen individual lights out for any period of time of note, after I've reported.

How long are people here seeing after they've reported it?

The whole system is working much, much better than a few years ago; it's rare to even have to report.

As to the equipment visible on a streetcar? I can't even begin to comprehend how anyone would have an issue with this. How much more were the Alstom units where it's covered? 50% more? 100% more? I have to wonder if we're being trolled, given the person who raised it, lives by a streetcar line, walking distance to Yonge, but talks about how they prefer to drive downtown than take transit.

What utter crock. Again, why should accessing the electrical components be made more difficult so that a very small portion of the population doesn't have to look at electrical innards? When you go to the CN Tower, does it take away from the experience that there's buildings with HVAC and telecommunications equipment on the roof you have to look at?

It's not even an aesthetic consideration - the vast, vast mjajority of time spent looking at the cars will be done from the ground. Please find something worthwhile to focus your energy on.

Back