News   Jul 26, 2024
 821     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.1K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.8K     3 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Wow.. TRAM Power's website is cutting edge.............
http://www.trampower.co.uk/

And we thought the TTC's website was bad.

That streetcar is butt ugly... looks like a cheap cold war era eastern european/soviet vehicle... On the same note, I don't like the "modern" european techno looking cars either... our streetcars have their own unique Torontonian identity and we should try to maintain as much of that as possible with the new cars... The "me too" approach is the wrong one to take in my opinion... riding the streetcars in Toronto for me is more than getting from point A to B... it's very Toronto.

The "me too" approach is the wrong one to take in my opinion... riding the streetcars in Toronto for me is more than getting from point A to B... it's very Toronto.

Unfortunately, hauling oneself up and down steep streetcar stairs was also "very Toronto." I'm looking forward to that part being very gone.

The question is can Bombardier produce 600 cars by 2020?

It has been stated for the last 18-24 months at TTC commissioner meeting, Thunder Bay will be producing only 26 cars a year. This was before TC surface.

2 cars in 2010, 22 cars in 2011. That leaves 180 cars. At 26 per year, the order will be completed in 7 years or late 2018.

If Sheppard line is to be on line in 2012, where are the cars for it considering a different design will be require from the current tender and will be one of the FLEXITY in operation in the world now.

This means 2 prototypes for each type are need for 2010 now.

Doing the math using the 26 per year, it will take 23 years to complete the full order or 2033. This will put TC 13 years behind schedule for all the new TC lines as well other lines being looked at now.

To complete the full order by 2020, Bombardier will have to produce 60 cars a year.

It is possible that TTC could split the order. If so, you will see the other bidders jump on the band wagon as they will not have to deal with the current TTC system and can use their standard model for TC that is in service world wide.

At the same time, where does Hamilton and Mississauga LRT's fit into these numbers?

Hamilton will be up and ready to run around 2015, but unknown date for Mississauga at this time as no decision is going to be made until the fall 2009 for Hurontario line.

The shovels would not get into the ground until 2011 or 12 at the current rate. Unless the line is open in sections, you are looking at least 2017 or later. Opening it in phases is the way to go starting at Port Credit going north as this is where the ridership is now. A tunnel will have to be built in Brampton and this will take time if it is a cut and fill method.

I still love to see a plant in the Portlands where the new LRT's roll off the line onto TTC system and requires no shipping cost.

Regardless if Bombardier gets the contract, they will not meet the cries of 50%-75% Canadian content given the fact that they are only putting 40% in the new RedRocket now and most of that is labour.

The question then goes back to why should a company setup shop in Canada when the shop will see about 10 years of service since there is a small market in Canada for LRT's in the first place? If they do, the cost of building that shop is built into the contract price.

I have heard that with the second and third phases of this purchase, the total size of the contract will be $2.8 BILLION. The LARGEST in history if I recall correctly.

Sounds like they need to add another factory. No?

Why not buy the Oshawa GM plant for firesale price? All the infrastructure is already there, and the manufacturing industry can have a viable future. In fact we're going to see an explosion of rail transit investment in North America over the next 20 years as governments scramble to rebuild transportation systems. Sounds like a high yield investment.

Bombardier just completely revamped their website to make it much more user friendly. This must have happened within the last 2 - 3 days. Considering the amount of time necessary to build a site like that, I'm going to say coincidence with very interesting timing...

Bombardier just completely revamped their website to make it much more user friendly. This must have happened within the last 2 - 3 days. Considering the amount of time necessary to build a site like that, I'm going to say coincidence with very interesting timing...

Check out their 'The Climate is right for Trains' website. I would be surprised if Bombardier just happened to 'luck out' in terms of timing. They seem to be making a very calculated move towards ramping up transit and train sales and putting themselves in a very good position to capitalize on changing economic conditions across the globe, and especially North America and Europe.

hopefully we can get these trendy new life guards on every streetcar.

s0648_fl0081_id0020.jpg

i'd also wouldn't mind these catchy ads.

s0648_fl0080_id0001.jpg

s0648_fl0080_id0002.jpg

Boy, I feel old!

The first 204 new cars are to start to slowly enter service by 2010-2011. That means that of the CLRV currently in service, some will be rebuilt while some will be retired. Of those being retired, some of them will become museum pieces for places like the Halton County Radial Railway, if not scrapped or end up as restaurants, or saved for parts.

They were built in 1977-1980, and are now museum pieces??? Boy, I feel old!

(Buses are old after 8 or 12 years. 15 if lucky.)

I remember, way back when, the first CLRV went on the 507 LakeShore run, and shorted out due to the salted winter roads...​

I think they should keep the old cars on Spadina and Queen.. St. Clair and Dundas routes however would look great with the cars illustrated above IMO.

I believe that there will be two different sizes of trams made by the same company.The longer versions will be on streets with right of way to streetcars for example St Clair, Spadina Harbourfront and all future new lines, and the smaller versions on all other existing streets with streetcars.

I believe that there will be two different sizes of trams made by the same company.The longer versions will be on streets with right of way to streetcars for example St Clair, Spadina Harbourfront and all future new lines, and the smaller versions on all other existing streets with streetcars.

everything i have seen so far mentions that there will only be ordering one size of new trams

These new streetcars will only be used on the existing streetcar lines right? They won't be used on the new TransitCity lines. Do I have that right?

The 204 new (30m long) single-end low-floor LRV's will eventually replace the 196 (15.4m long) CLRV's and 52 (23.2m long) ALRV's. These will carry 260 passenger crush load (CLRV = 132, ALRV = 205).

Transit City will need 364 additional double-ended low-floor LRV's. These will be even larger in size than the 204 initial order.

100 to 132 of the TTC's current CLRV/ALRV's could be over-hauled (with air-conditioning) for another decade of service, for use during rush hour. That leaves the remainder for scrap, museum pieces, restaurants, or for sale.

Back