News   Jul 16, 2024
 309     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 499     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 615     2 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

How did they ever handle the delivery of THREE PCC streetcars at the same time?

5509694863_1aac252638.jpg

Answer: they did just fine.
Big different is length of car. PCC could fit 100% on the longest (75') cars then with no overhang. The new car overhang the longest cars in the system that you need idler cars at each end for clearance.

The length of a car is from the centre to centre of the coupler and the longest flat is 89'. Therefor you can an overhang and for safety reason, you need extra clearance between different types of cars and that is where idler cars come into play using various length of flat cars. Even if the whole train is our new cars, still need an idler car between them. Don't forget, trains travel around curves and the clearance become tighter doing so. Couplers move in and out of the pocket depending what taking place as well.

Last edited:
Quick questions, and please correct me if my facts are wrong. After Flexity #60, doesn't that trigger two things? First, doesn't the TTC have to decide to exercise its option for 60 more streetcars or not? I know they have a RFI out for 100 more LRVs, so I assume they are not going to exercise the option?

Secondly, doesn't after #60 arrives, Bombardier stops shipping streetcars with poles, making them panto-only? Currently only the 509 is running with pantos, so do we know if the rest of the TTC's overhead is converted and ready for panto operation, and if so what routes will use pantographs next?

Quick questions, and please correct me if my facts are wrong. After Flexity #60, doesn't that trigger two things? First, doesn't the TTC have to decide to exercise its option for 60 more streetcars or not? I know they have a RFI out for 100 more LRVs, so I assume they are not going to exercise the option?

Secondly, doesn't after #60 arrives, Bombardier stops shipping streetcars with poles, making them panto-only? Currently only the 509 is running with pantos, so do we know if the rest of the TTC's overhead is converted and ready for panto operation, and if so what routes will use pantographs next?
No and no

Until the RFI close and full detail is known, TTC will only know which route it will go then. Then you got council that can force TTC to go with the option to deal with the back charges rack up by TTC and breach of contract using some of those cars as payment and only to have to pay for about 50 (x) of the 60 cars. Even then, TTC doesn't have to order them when 4460 shows up.

Because TTC is so far behind converting the overhead last year, all cars will come with both like today. One only has to look at King & Parliament to see an intersection still waiting to be rebuilt. Until all King & Queen intersections are fully rebuilt, pans can't be used from the Barns to the current routes. Looking more like 2019 for full conversion in place of this year. It is also why the 509 has to raise and lower the pans at the EX. I will say 512 is the next route since it been ready since 2010 and the most friendly of all the routes so far.

How's that different from a normal delivery that ties up equipment and crew for 2 hours? Delivery to Hillcrest is special scheduling whether it's 2 hours or 4. And besides CP always has idle locomotives available.

Because deliveries don't tie up the crew and equipment for 2 hours. They drop off the flatcar and streetcar on the first day, and come back the next day after its been unloaded (or several days later - whenever the streetcar is unloaded). The crew is only there long enough to do those moves, and nothing else.

Its an yes and no they will do it, depending on a number of things. If this is a special move, then both cars will be off loaded on this move.

They haven't done a delivery as a special move up to now - which is why I said that its exceedingly unlikely.

Sure, Bombardier could pay for it, but is it likely? I don't think that it is.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Technically, they used to call it home before Leslie went into operation. So in reality, it’s more like when will they call Roncesvalles home, again.

From Transit Toronto, at this link:

Leslie Barns covers 4.33 acres [1.75 hectares), including a carhouse with space to store 30 LRVs indoors and a yard for 100 more LRVs.
With 52 or 53 Flexity Outlooks (after the current delivery), this means (after 2 AM and before 5 AM) the indoor storage at Leslie would be full, with the rest outdoors (either in night service or in the yard).

Wouldn't there be enough rotation for the new streetcars where it'd be hard to predict if 4451 and 4452 will only serve St. Clair?
I think Joe is saying 2 more cars will be on St Clair starting Dec and its possible it could be these cars. Since 512 is in Joe ward, he could request those cars and get them since is a TTC Commissioner at this time.

All cars are rotated at some point to other lines during the week.

If BBD delivery as schedule, 512 will be 100% new cars come Jan or sooner, depending on delivery and burn in.

Not all space inside will house cars as storage space, but only those needing service or in testing. The rest will remain in the outside yard. You may have 10-20 cars or less inside at any given time, leaving about 20-30 or more in the yard at night.

I think Joe is saying 2 more cars will be on St Clair starting Dec and its possible it could be these cars. Since 512 is in Joe ward, he could request those cars and get them since is a TTC Commissioner at this time.

If what I have bolded and italicized above is true, then this is everything wrong with transit in the city. Joe Mihevic is a transit booster. But, no politician should have any word in transit operations, period. Those decisions should be the exclusive purview of TTC management. This is as bad as the stories about the overreaching, inept Toronto School Board Trustees who were involved in day-to-day. Perhaps we should call in a monitor here too, and get the fingers out of the cookie jar.

Last edited:

Back