News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 920     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 356     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I thought the only two full fledged subway plans for Queen were prior to Bloor being selected for the crosstown route and at the point a DRL was found necessary. I didn't realize there was one in between those two explicitly tied to the death of streetcars.

The set of plans Steve Munro posted on his website recently were late 1960s, and showed how the line would connect into the already existing Donlands station, before heading south on Greenwood to Queen.

With friends like these…
BY Shawn Micallef May 13, 2009 21:05

Ontario Energy and Infrastructure Minister George Smitherman was recently “perplexed†and surprised by Toronto’s decision to buy 204 new streetcars, even though his own premier had just announced funding for new Transit City lines. It’s as if he doesn’t represent Toronto, but at 514 Parliament, his big face is pasted in the window of the constituency office he shares with Bob Rae (a remarkable example of federal-provincial partnership), suggesting his riding is in fact in Toronto and he does represent Toronto’s interests. If you pass by his office, drop off your old Toronto newspapers so he can catch up on local issues and remember where he lives.

http://www.eyeweekly.com/city/cityhall/details/article/60340

Montpellier selects Citadis for Line 3

From the Railway Gazette:

FRANCE: The greater Montpellier authority announced its selection of Alstom Citadis trams for the future Line 3 on May 12. A €65m contract for 23 trams plus a full-size mock-up will be signed in the next few weeks. Options covering maintenance for 10 years and a further 12 trams could take the total value of the order to €117m.

Scheduled to open in 2012, the €530m Line 3 will run 22·4 km from the west to the south of the Montpellier area, with 32 stops serving Juvignac, Montpellier, Lattes and Pérols.

The external and interior design of the 42 m long trams will be developed by authority's transport department, Christian Lacroix and Alstom.

The manufacturer's Valenciennes plant will have overall responsibility for supplying the trams, with final assembly at La Rochelle using electrical equipment from Tarbes, traction motors from Ornans, bogies from Le Creusot and onboard electronics from Villeurbanne.

Alstom has supplied 57 Citadis trams for the city's two existing lines, which opened in 2000 and 2006.

tn_fr-montpellier-tram-line3-impression.jpg

Well, the order might finally get funding:

160_bombardier_streetcar.jpg

Harper, McGuinty to make TTC announcement

Updated: Fri May. 15 2009 7:14:43 AM

The Canadian Press

TORONTO — Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Premier Dalton McGuinty are holding a joint mews conference Friday morning in Toronto.

The 11 a.m. event is being held at a depot used by the Toronto Transit Commission.

Toronto has committed to a $1.22-billion plan to build a fleet of 204 new streetcars for the city, but did so before getting a firm funding commitment from the provincial and federal government leaders.

The contract is set to go to Bombardier (TSX:BBD.A) and the streetcars would be built in Thunder Bay, Ont.

McGuinty has said the plan was not something the province budgeted for.

The New Democrats have said the province should pay its share for the plan, which would help workers in struggling northern Ontario.

The report I heard on the radio was that this was likely not about the unfunded TTC streetcars, but who knows. Any other possibilities with the TTC?

Sheppard East LRT is the other option - as the funding hasn't been announced, and construction begins in the fall; I'd think they'd be getting ready to tender the construction very soon. Though I'd also think it would be eligible for federal funding as well, as it meets the "start very quick and spend money" requirement for the federal infrastructure funding (unlike the Finch and Eglinton lines that were already announced).

Some inside info tells me to expect sheppard, however I have no reason to exclude the new streetcars also..

Just read that Stephen Harper is there as well. My moneys on the Sheppard LRT ... though I'm surprised they don't appear in Scarborough to announce that ... Hillcrest does imply streetcars.

Perhaps we'll get lucky and get both.

Harper had announced in the news conference that the vehicles for the LRT will be from Bombardier. The TTC had earlier last month said that the LRV’s for Transit City is an option if Bombardier gets the streetcar order.

Chicken or egg? Why announce that the federal government will help buy the option order first before the initial order?

Chicken or egg? Why announce that the federal government will help buy the option order first before the initial order?
The fact that they are ordering the TC cars from Bombardier does not mean that the order will be done via the option. Theoretically, they could cancel the downtown car order and negotiate a separate deal for the TC cars.

Steve Munro seems to think the funding for the downtown cars is coming, though.

The fact that they are ordering the TC cars from Bombardier does not mean that the order will be done via the option. Theoretically, they could cancel the downtown car order and negotiate a separate deal for the TC cars.

Lets hope that Bombardier does not hold a monopoly on all future Toronto TC/Streetcars purchases. It would not hurt to see other LRT mfgs run different lines in this city.

Back