News   May 31, 2024
 954     6 
News   May 31, 2024
 3.3K     2 
News   May 31, 2024
 1K     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

There is only 1 project that's impacting the share price; and to be fair both Airbus and Boeing regularly approach bankruptcy everytime they roll out a major new model too. It seems to be pretty normal for the industry. They've got enough orders and even more are expected, so it's down to can they deliver.

TTC/Metrolinx LRT order makes no difference one way or the other (seriously, match up LRT news to share movements; zero correlation). Most of their train departments value is in Europe and Asia anyway; the North American lines don't contribute a whole lot.

For disclosure purposes, I became a shareholder early this year so I'm kinda rah-rah on their ability to execute the CS100 orders. Wouldn't mind if their railway division was tossed to the Chinese though the Canadian gov would never approve that sale.

Depending on when "earlier this year" is, you could also dispel DSC's notion that the share price has not done well "lately"....since it's lows at the height of the CS doubts and the cashflow worries...the stock has nearly tripled in value.

TSX:BBD.A

Not my definition of a winner - and not much of a turnaround.

- Paul

Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 6.43.21 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 6.43.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 6.43.21 PM.png
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,356
Last edited:
TSX:BBD.A

Not my definition of a winner - and not much of a turnaround.

- Paul

View attachment 81861
like i said right in my post...it depends on the definitions of "earlier this year" (used by RBT) and "of late" (used by DSC).....but if someone bought in January of this year (ie. earlier this year) at the lows of ~70 cent/share and was sitting on a holding now that is worth ~$2/share....that is a pretty decent 6 month return "of late".

Since RBT disclosed he (as of "earlier this year") is a shareholder, perhaps it is appropriate that I disclose that I am a longer term shareholder (started accumulating prior to the length of your chart and kept buying during the decline to "penny stock" status) and while I am not jumping up and down with glee....your chart does not tell the whole story either....prior to the drop in early 2015, BBD was a dividend payer so total return has to include dividends as well as stock price. Certainly my buying pattern with the stock is my own and it is tough to replicate in individual cases but my total return on the stock is negative but only in single digit negative (something your chart would not suggest) and I am within ~ .25 cents in stock price of breaking even....it was not my goal with the investment...but it is hardly the sad, calamitous, tale that some would suggest.

Last edited:
I hold a meager 150 shares of BBD.A which I began accumulating prior to 2000. My initial investment tanked when aviation stocks fell after 911. Being patient, I held them - they weren't worth cashing in anyways - but when it started to uptick, I bought some more, thinking things would improve. Yes, I made a 50% + on those shares.....before they fell also. My net is -75%, thanks mostly to the pre-2000 share price being so much higher. But even more recent shares bought in the $6.00 range are now under water.

My conclusion would be, BBD.A is volatile enough for a short-term investor to make big dollars if they get in at the right moment, and get out at the right moment. Many people get rich that way, but it's also apparent that the focus on short-term is often what gets companies in deep trouble. I'm a buy-and-hold kind of guy, which just didn't work here (fortunately there are some happier stories in my portfolio).

Clearly Bombardier has not been a good 'hold' stock.

Anyone with swamp land out there, I'm a lot wiser these days, you don't need to call. ;-)

- Paul

I hold a meager 150 shares of BBD.A which I began accumulating prior to 2000. My initial investment tanked when aviation stocks fell after 911. Being patient, I held them - they weren't worth cashing in anyways - but when it started to uptick, I bought some more, thinking things would improve. Yes, I made a 50% + on those shares.....before they fell also. My net is -75%, thanks mostly to the pre-2000 share price being so much higher. But even more recent shares bought in the $6.00 range are now under water.

My conclusion would be, BBD.A is volatile enough for a short-term investor to make big dollars if they get in at the right moment, and get out at the right moment. Many people get rich that way, but it's also apparent that the focus on short-term is often what gets companies in deep trouble. I'm a buy-and-hold kind of guy, which just didn't work here (fortunately there are some happier stories in my portfolio).

Clearly Bombardier has not been a good 'hold' stock.

Anyone with swamp land out there, I'm a lot wiser these days, you don't need to call. ;-)

- Paul
Alternatively, they are a great "dollar cost averaging" stock for the long term hodler....like I said I am a ~10 year shareholder......being buying throughout the dips and peaks...don't attempt to time market mostly (although I might buy a few more shares during a sharp drop) and while I am still slightly negative (like i said single digit negative) on a total return basis at the moment my purchases during the recent dip have averaged down the losses and I am reasonably confident that there is some sort of positive momentum......not one to give investment advice but only buying when there is "an uptick" seems inappropriate for this kind of stock.

The twenty year picture certainly shows where a smart investor would buy, and where they would sell. A lot of people paid more than $4 for the stock over that period. I clearly wasn't one of the smart ones, but apparently I wasn't alone.

I'm having a hard time fitting a trend line to the last ten years that is even close to flat. It's interesting to see how Boeing's stock has fared in the same period, 911 or not.

Anyways, I think we can agree that Bombardier's share price has room to move up. I agree that the TTC order isn't likely to make a difference one way or the other.

- Paul

Bombardier
Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 12.25.46 PM.png

Boeing
Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 12.26.15 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 12.25.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 12.25.46 PM.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,020
  • Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 12.26.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 12.26.15 PM.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,014
I'm having a hard time fitting a trend line to the last ten years that is even close to flat. It's interesting to see how Boeing's stock has fared in the same period, 911 or not.

And you won't find one....but any trendline only shows the stock price at different points in time....it does not show a) dividends paid or b) where purchases are made. Like I said, I am about 25 cents away from a total return of 0%....nothing to be happy about but not the disaster implied by the trend lines of prices.

Stock market confessions: I bought some bbd back in 2004 but sold before any appreciable run-up. I feel as though this is one of those companies where money goes to die.

Back