News   Jul 19, 2024
 696     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.2K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1K     2 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

If that's the solution, it makes you wonder why they sat on it for so long and wasted so much time before moving on it.

AoD
I would think because production in other places costs more than production in Mexico......what would you do if you were them? Try and fix the problems at your low cost production facility or immediately shift/augment production at a higher cost place.

Clearly what they tried to do did not work (so pre-emptive "not defending them" added here) but the answer to why they did not do this before is kinda clear.

I would think because production in other places costs more than production in Mexico......what would you do if you were them? Try and fix the problems at your low cost production facility or immediately shift/augment production at a higher cost place.

Clearly what they tried to do did not work (so pre-emptive "not defending them" added here) but the answer to why they did not do this before is kinda clear.

Well yeah, so their trade space is trying to solve the problem without much regard to the customer's schedule instead of going for the solution right off the bat. Charming - the legal recourse should rightly take that into account.

AoD

If that's the solution, it makes you wonder why they sat on it for so long and wasted so much time before moving on it.

One wonders if the newly-appointed head honcho guy had a little more license to challenge the status quo, and didn't have a vested interest in proving that past decisions were the right ones.

Somebody invested a lot of the Company's money (and probably enhanced their career path) by proposing the Mexico strategy. Some higher ups must have approved that strategy. So plenty of people at the top wanted to believe the strategy would work, they just needed to fix....(whatever)....

As well, Mexico pays incentives to companies to locate there. Pulling work out of Mexico could involve repaying loans, grants, etc. Or investments in goodwill may now be unproductive.

- Paul

upload_2016-4-25_13-2-54.jpeg
upload_2016-4-25_13-3-17.jpeg

NOTE ADDED ON: I guess those other missing cars are to go to KW ION Line due this year for service in 2017 or will they get the dear John letter as well??

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-25_13-2-54.jpeg
    upload_2016-4-25_13-2-54.jpeg
    2.5 KB · Views: 590
  • upload_2016-4-25_13-3-17.jpeg
    upload_2016-4-25_13-3-17.jpeg
    2.9 KB · Views: 596
Last edited:
Let me tell you what 30 streetcars by the end of the year means: The 509 will have enough streetcars by August and the 514 Cherry would be converted by February 2017.

I believe in this delivery schedule (16 for this year). It aligns with what we have been seeing for the last 2 years.

The same old, was bumping the ramp-up to 4 cars a month, by another month.

This actually bumps it by many months. And seems to move (or add) frame production to Canada from Mexico.

This might be a real plan, for once.

If Bombardier was to really fix the problem, the first step would be to "say what they can do", so as not to create false expectations. So perhaps there's hope.

Yes, I'd agree. The next step is for them to "do what they say".

This will push production in future years to over 58 a year. Which does seem very high. Though on the other hand, they were pushing out TR cars faster than this, with 80-90 cars a year from 2011 to 2014.

The details of how this latest ramp-up plan will be executed aren't what we are debating here.

What we are debating is credibility.

Bombardier had repeatedly communicated plans to ramp up production, and has accomplished those communicated plans a total of zero times.

For some people in this forum that gives Bombardier bullet proof credibility and that absolutely boggles the mind.

Debating the technicalities of the plan itself is irrelevant.

It doesn't matter what they say anymore.

Exactly - they have no credibility regarding their ability to deliver according to schedule. A press release meant absolutely nothing from the customer perspective.

AoD

From the Star:

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...mayed-by-ttc-streetcar-production-delays.html

So, only 13 more this year? You've got to be kidding me - do they make each screw by hand? Given the severity of the delays, I am wondering if the city should just tell them not to bother anymore, cancel the contract and sue BBD for their inability to deliver. My concern with that route is of course whether that would end up being cheaper to BBD than continuing with a contract that might be something they wanted to get out of in the first place.

i.e.:
http://business.financialpost.com/n...eful-tube-project-nothing-short-of-a-disaster

AoD

Last edited:
We won't be getting to 60 this year. So ttc has no reason now to put that out to a new tender. With an option for 200. If the ramp up and final total in 2019 from bbd doesn't happen the ttc needs to be clear that they will fill the order from the other supplier. They should hold them to their yearly targets and based on what they miss they should take them off the order. If bbd doesn't agree to that then ttc should remove them as a contractor for the next 30 years and should sue to get out of the contract.

Bombardier has zero credibility.

Thank you for agreeing.

I'm not sure why you want to debate it.

I am debating it because getting caught up in analyzing their proposed ramp up plans is a waste of time at this point. The TTC is getting to a critically serious spot here and wasting time listening to Snake Oil Inc's filth takes away from the much needed analysis and decision-making process to find a new supplier.

The low projected production figure for the rest of the year is the first Bombardier claim we can believe.

You can't put a new production line in place overnight. The tooling, and the debugging of the tooling, will take months.

If Bombardier has decided to manufacture underframes in Quebec, and start a second production line to run in parallel with Thunder Bay, they have made a pretty draconian change. I haven't seen the words "pull the plug on Mexico" in their release, but it may amount to that.

This may not be sufficient, or satisfactory, but it's definitely stopping the slide downwards.

- Paul

Back