News   Jul 19, 2024
 396     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 670     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Any word on why Chicago didn't select BBD?

My guess:

In choosing CSR, CTA bypassed Bombardier, which built its 5000-series cars, the last of which was delivered just five months ago. CTA Vice President/Purchasing Ellen McCormick said the CSR/Sifang proposal was $226 million less than the bid submitted by Montreal-based Bombardier.

...although often times these things do not just come down to money.

7000 series does look sharp, though - I love the cta; everything about the whole experience. I will be sad to see the 2600's go - they're my favourite. I am not a fan of corrugated paneling and it was the one series that had nice smooth walls and a great cab molding.

One more pic of the ad wrap.

Screen shot 2016-03-09 at 4.15.56 PM.png

CdIS6AwW0AEHv6P.jpg_large.jpg

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-03-09 at 4.15.56 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-03-09 at 4.15.56 PM.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 626
  • CdIS6AwW0AEHv6P.jpg_large.jpg
    CdIS6AwW0AEHv6P.jpg_large.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 767
My guess:

Looks like they went with Chinese maker and put this in contract:

"CTA will have the right to stop work on the cars for any reason, should a problem arise. Nothing is paid until cars are accepted by the CTA. Failure to deliver cars on time will result in fines of $300 per day per car."

Why we didn't think of that?

Looks like they assume production will also be "slightly" faster than our 1 car a month production:
" ... the full production cars would be delivered beginning in October 2020, at a rate of 10 cars a month"

I really hate seeing the TTC whoring itself out for ad money. I mean, how much can it be? Is it worth selling the visual beauty of the city for?

Someone did the math once. It worked out to about 2 to 3 cents fare increase (so 1%) to make TTC mostly ad-free (bus shelters are a different agreement); around a 5 cents to put public funded art in the advertising places (mostly printing costs and staff to swap it in).

Someone did the math once. It worked out to about 2 to 3 cents fare increase (so 1%) to make TTC mostly ad-free (bus shelters are a different agreement) ...
Looking in the buses and streetcars, they are mostly ad-free inside lately. There's very few ads that aren't from the TTC or the provincial government - and far more empty space than filled space.

I really hate seeing the TTC whoring itself out for ad money. I mean, how much can it be? Is it worth selling the visual beauty of the city for?

I think I saw somewhere thath it''s a million dollars for the advertiser to warpo a Toronto Rocket train and have all the ads inside be for the same company. I'd assume a flex is probably around the same cost maybe a little bit less

Looking in the buses and streetcars, they are mostly ad-free inside lately. There's very few ads that aren't from the TTC or the provincial government - and far more empty space than filled space.

The new streetcars haven't really had any except 4404 had ones for the pan am games I think

Here was Brad Ross on Twitter yesterday:

@BradTTC
@nfitz1 Ramping up production in March to get us to 4 per month.

"Ramping up in March" with a goal of 4 per month is obviously a bit different from "four per month, starting in March."

Is that a joke?
We've heard the same refrain of "ramping up" for actually years now.
It seems that since Brad Ross doesn't realize this and has instead drink the Bombardier kool-aid, he has lost what little credibility he had.

Is that a joke?
We've heard the same refrain of "ramping up" for actually years now.
It seems that since Brad Ross doesn't realize this and has instead drink the Bombardier kool-aid, he has lost what little credibility he had.

Or maybe he's just doing the usual PR thing? Like, not defending Bombardier or anything but it isn't a wild conspiracy or proof of anyone drinking the kool-aid to have to go through the motions like Ross probably is. He can't really be going around saying "Bombardier hasn't given us squat, fuck em" can he? Especially with the legal action on-going.

Back