News   Jul 19, 2024
 496     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 784     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I think that for all TTC projects with the Flexity Freedoms should be cancelled and re-tendered.

2021 is still far away enough and these cars are supposed to be stock, not some special order like the streetcars.
The Flexity Freedom's are not the TTC's to cancel.

For what it's worth, at the Jan 21 TTC board meeting Byford was talking about deliveries (hopefully) ramping up to every 4 days from March.

That seems pretty fanciful at this point but he repeated it a few times, and specifically said production is continuing.

TTC Press Release:

Fifteenth new TTC streetcar enters service

February 1, 2016

The TTC's newest low-floor streetcar, car number 4416, entered service on the 510 Spadina route in time for this afternoon's rush hour. There are now a total of 15 new streetcars in service on the 510 Spadina and 509 Harbourfront routes.

All of the new accessible streetcars are equipped with PRESTO machines and ticket validators to allow customers to pay their fare. The machines will also allow customers without a smart card to purchase a single-ride Proof-of-Payment (POP) ticket using coins or tokens.

The new streetcars are fully accessible for customers using mobility devices, and are more comfortable to ride, featuring a higher passenger capacity and air conditioning.

All TTC streetcar routes are POP, allowing customers with a transfer or valid TTC pass to board at any door.

The TTC's low-floor streetcar project is jointly funded by the Government of Canada Federal Gas Tax Fund, the Government of Ontario and the City of Toronto.

Interesting. I didn't see it testing or being used for training anywhere.

Meanwhile, 4201 got hit by a pickup truck this afternoon (not hard, it seems).

IMG_5663.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5663.JPG
    IMG_5663.JPG
    254.5 KB · Views: 789
When will they stop doing press releases for every new streetcar that enters service? Or will they keep doing this until they're all delivered?

At this rate, any new streetcar that enters service is a cause for celebration. Maybe they will stop doing the press releases when Bombardier starts delivering our damn streetcars.

For what it's worth, at the Jan 21 TTC board meeting Byford was talking about deliveries (hopefully) ramping up to every 4 days from March.

That seems pretty fanciful at this point but he repeated it a few times, and specifically said production is continuing.

There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.

Apparently Mr. Byford doesn't live by that saying.

When will they stop doing press releases for every new streetcar that enters service? Or will they keep doing this until they're all delivered?

When the deliveries actually come as advertised, and on a continuous basis. In other words, when the deliveries get boring. If they start to arrive like flyers in mail, then.

Indeed, the PCC streetcars got a single ribbon cutting, and then they got on with the business of running them. This fawning over each delivery is getting ridiculous.

1297315776532_ORIGINAL.jpg

I thought the TTC was on the hook for cancelling the SRT LRT project? Why not just refuse to pay the penalty in retaliation for all these late streetcars and broken contract?
I don't think they are on the hook with Bombardier for that (the Province, as mentioned above), but thought I should comment on the principle of what you are saying. You cannot do that because that would likely be illegal. You generally cannot illegally break the terms of one contract just because one of the parties in another separate contract are non-performing.

For instance, years ago, a company that I worked for had two separate contracts with one client. On one contract, things were going bad, and disputes over extra work and changes piled up. Eventually we stopped work on that contract. However, we continued work on the other contract, as it would have been unlawful and considered breach of contract to non-perform on that one in order to penalize them for disputes on the other.

Someone posted on CPTDB: "I heard that they're halting production for 8 weeks so that they can stock up on parts."

Haha. That wouldn't surprise me. "A car every 4 days starting in March!...due to us producing cars less frequently in the couple of preceding months in order to be able to do that."

Indeed, the PCC streetcars got a single ribbon cutting, and then they got on with the business of running them. This fawning over each delivery is getting ridiculous.

Of course the TTC are simply responding to 'popular demand' if all of the "has anyone seen 44xx yet?"messages and the 479 pages on this thread on UT are any guide.

Someone posted on CPTDB: "I heard that they're halting production for 8 weeks so that they can stock up on parts."

So much for the just in time supply chain. Maybe some supplier said "We ain't busting our butts on your reorder, considering you told us you'd need it a year ago and then stalled for so long we gave away all our production slots".

- Paul

Back