News   Jul 15, 2024
 408     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 532     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I've noticed they actuly sequel more then the CLRVs in union probably because of of how tight the curve is and the trucks don't steer on them. Plus don't forget you have steel wheels rubbing against steel rails
I said this to staff on day one that these wheels will squeal and was told they would not. They should gone with steerable wheels from the start and would cut the squealing down not only at Union, but all locations where they have to loop or switch.

Even during the testing stage before Aug 2014, I pointed out to staff I was hearing a low squeal and was told, it was breaking in at the time.

Only saw 4406 on 509 and not a good sign for both routes.

I'm not one to be satisfied with the number of new streetcars in service, but I saw two on each of 509, 510 and 511 today and for most of this week. Kinda nice for a change to see most of them out there.

I said this to staff on day one that these wheels will squeal and was told they would not. They should gone with steerable wheels from the start and would cut the squealing down not only at Union, but all locations where they have to loop or switch.

Even during the testing stage before Aug 2014, I pointed out to staff I was hearing a low squeal and was told, it was breaking in at the time.

I don't know if Bombardier ever thought to make them with steerable trucks on them. Most of the time they are used on newly built systems and don't have tight curves like we do her in with the existing network.

.... and the trucks don't steer on them.

The trucks do pivot underneath/inside the bodies. They just don't pivot as much as those under the Cs or As.

About half of the fleet of the new cars are supposed to come equipment with flange greasers. No idea which units in particular have them, or will have them.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The trucks do pivot underneath/inside the bodies. They just don't pivot as much as those under the Cs or As.

About half of the fleet of the new cars are supposed to come equipment with flange greasers. No idea which units in particular have them, or will have them.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Had no idea a flange greaser was a thing, particularly on a vehicle. I know there is (or were) certain sections of tracks that had water trickling on them to reduce noise. I figured TTC would install more of those elsewhere in the system if the squealing on the new vehicles was excessive. But some kind of mounted automated grease injector on the vehicle is probably a better idea.

Wonder if they could have squeezed in the Peter Witt and PCC streetcars as well?
Streetcar-gen_Panora.jpg

I just realized that that TTC has no "antique" buses around.
Bus_with_skyline.jpg

Guess they can't survive the potholes.

Wonder if they could have squeezed in the Peter Witt and PCC streetcars as well?
I don't believe the Peter Witt can be used in revenue service any more ... braking, etc. I think their operating rules require that it be behind another streetcar.

I'm surprised the PCCs haven't popped up somewhere for the summer though.

I don't believe the Peter Witt can be used in revenue service any more ... braking, etc. I think their operating rules require that it be behind another streetcar.

They did a few weeks ago, I think on the weekend of June 19th for the Queen's Quay opening, but they have been absent since then (I got to ride it for the first time then). Brad Ross said that with all the other work, i.e. maintaining the CLRVs/ALRVs well past the expected date especially with the tough winter we just went through, the mechanics who worked on the PCC as a hobby don't have enough free time to run it as frequently as past years. As evidenced on the 19th it will still pop up occasionally, and Brad said this isn't permanent and it can be expected to go back to normal, hopefully, next summer.

Had no idea a flange greaser was a thing, particularly on a vehicle. I know there is (or were) certain sections of tracks that had water trickling on them to reduce noise. I figured TTC would install more of those elsewhere in the system if the squealing on the new vehicles was excessive. But some kind of mounted automated grease injector on the vehicle is probably a better idea.

Very few locations in Toronto still use water, primarily because, you know, Canadian weather. Most locations - including virtually every single loop - have been upgraded to a fixed flange greaser.

The hope was that by having every second vehicle equipped with a flange greaser that they wouldn't need (as many of) the fixed ones as would still be a trace of grease on the rail after a couple of cars, while equipping every single vehicle would be a bit excessive.

If chartered, 2766 must have a streetcar in front of and behind it separating it from regular service cars. Because of this, it doesn't get chartered very much.

Both of the PCCs had various mechanical quibbles that needed to be resolved but weren't able to be taken care of over the winter. The guys from Halton County have one of the cars running fine now - I think that's 4549 - and the other should be done by Labour Day.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back