News   Jul 15, 2024
 409     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 534     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I really don't think that's going to happen unless they don't deliver by the end of the year. I don't see how the city or TTC could win a lawsuit over this Bombardier hasn't really done anything. The strike was not there fault they couldn't predict how long it would take. The rest was either because of design changes by the TTC or parts problems that could happen to any company.
Design changes are one thing, but parts problems are another. It doesn't matter if it could "happen to any company". While true, that doesn't absolve Bombardier of fault in the case of a lawsuit, as it is the responsibility of Bombardier to work with its supply chain to meet the the conditions of the contract. It isn't the TTC's responsibility to do that, so consequently, any problems that arise from that supply chain means legal fault must fall on Bombardier. A strike would most definitely be classified as an 'excusable delay', meaning, there is no fault, and it cannot be part of the delay claim.

The change order for the aforementioned design changes probably had a built-in time extension as part of it, which would have been taken into account in Bombardier's most recent June 1st schedule (that they also failed to meet), so I don't see how the design change can continue to be claimed as an issue.

Last edited:
You'll forgive me if I detect slightly more to your explanations about Bombardier's incompetence than mere communication of fact. Could be an over-interpretation of your words but I've noticed you're quick to point out the situation isn't as dire as it is in reality. Because it really is dire.
The problem is that a lot of the critics in this thread have been spreading false information for the past 50 or so pages. I agree that the situation is dire, and Bombardier has f*ed up big time. However, if you are going to criticize something, I suggest that you (the general you, not you specifically) inform yourself and stick to the facts.

So, how are we doing with respect to the revised delivery schedule for 4409? It appears 4408 arrived on June 4, and that was apparently rather delayed due to some extra difficulties with this car.

So, how are we doing with respect to the revised delivery schedule for 4409? It appears 4408 arrived on June 4, and that was apparently rather delayed due to some extra difficulties with this car.

I keep seeing 4408 on Queensway/King, eastbound on weekends, but not in service. Are they running it out of Roncesvalles?

This morning I saw 4405 and 4406 passing each other on Spadina, then 4407 running as a 509 (I think).

I keep seeing 4408 on Queensway/King, eastbound on weekends, but not in service. Are they running it out of Roncesvalles?

This morning I saw 4405 and 4406 passing each other on Spadina, then 4407 running as a 509 (I think).
All the new cars are store at Roncesvalles since its the only place setup to service them at this time. They have a bay there for the cars and you can't miss it.

If 4408 is the Queensway, being tested depending if it only going to the loop. Otherwise, training or could be both. If on King, going into/out of service, since this is the route the cars take to get to/from 510 & 509. Even the CLRV do the same thing.

I'm glad you feel people should feel the heat for Bombardier's incompetence.
I stated similar 6 weeks ago. You just seem to get defensive any time I try and point out various mistruths.

You'll forgive me if I detect slightly more to your explanations about Bombardier's incompetence than mere communication of fact. Could be an over-interpretation of your words but I've noticed you're quick to point out the situation isn't as dire as it is in reality. Because it really is dire.
It is dire. What I don't get, is despite the situation being dire, that people find the need to say stuff that isn't true. The stuff that is true is terrible for Bombarder, and also for TTC. So I fail to find the need to make things up.

I'm also tend to be an optimistic person - glass half-full and not half-empty. Bombardier does have a very long history of delivering ... and I do think they will be ultimately able to ramp up delivery sooner or later. I think the question is when, not if.

There are certainly problems, but it's only about 13 months since the first car (4403) was delivered, and less since it was accepted by TTC.

Do you, or anyone else, happen to know the actual delivery schedule for the early TR trains?

The schedule of what's already been delivered? See the wiki. The (current) schedule of what's to come? See the agenda for last month's TTC board meeting.

People here are under the impression that we won't be seeing 4409 for a long time. Why?

As for 4408--I see it on the 510 everyday (including this morning).

Incidentally, there are only 3 new streetcars running today--yet another disgraceful showing.

Do you, or anyone else, happen to know the actual delivery schedule for the early TR trains?

It wasn't so great either. Remember after the introduction of the first train there were only two or three trains running for several months, prompting a slew of "Where's Waldo" type news stories.

The schedule of what's already been delivered? See the wiki. The (current) schedule of what's to come? See the agenda for last month's TTC board meeting.
Sorry for the newb question, but where is the wiki? Some forum software allows you to embed them directly in discussion threads.

Incidentally, there are only 3 new streetcars running today--yet another disgraceful showing.

Considering that you watch them every day, I'm completely amazed that you haven't yet managed to catch the very obvious scheduling patterns.

Spadina is peculiar in that the morning rush hour period is not its busiest time of day, and so there are a number of additional vehicles that are scheduled to enter service between 9 and noon.

If you had waited a couple of hours - it's just about 10am right now - you would see that another car has come out to join the first three, and another may still join before lunch.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Considering that you watch them every day, I'm completely amazed that you haven't yet managed to catch the very obvious scheduling patterns.

Spadina is peculiar in that the morning rush hour period is not its busiest time of day, and so there are a number of additional vehicles that are scheduled to enter service between 9 and noon.

If you had waited a couple of hours - it's just about 10am right now - you would see that another car has come out to join the first three, and another may still join before lunch.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I'll ignore your snide attitude (which I've learned is typical for you on this board) even though that was unnecessary to portray the information you wanted to share.

I watch the line in the morning rush hour because that's when I leave for work. I don't typically watch it after that time because I don't use it. That's logical and I don't see why I should be castigated for this.

It is news to me that the morning rush hour on Spadina is actually not the busiest time.

I'll have to watch it beyond the morning rush--something tells me the line still won't be fully populated.

Back