News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 448     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I think at one point they were not scheduling drivers who were trained on the new ones to drive the old ones do they still do that or do they just get whatever car they are assigned when they come in for there shift?

Given that there's only 6 (7?) of the new streetcars in service, it can't take that long to train operators. Smallspy helpfully explained that each driver takes a week to train. So 2 training cars times the well over a year they've had those cars means over 100 operators could have been trained. That's more than enough to drive a fleet of 6, right?

I don't know exactly how the scheduling breaks down, but let's assume 3 shifts per day. That's 21 shifts per streetcar per week. Or 126 shifts altogether. Presumably most drivers pick up 4-5 shifts a week, so if they've trained 100 operators that's 400-500 capable of driving those 126 shifts. Seems there's more than enough spare capacity. Otherwise if you train the drivers too early, they'll forget their training before they get to drive the new ones.

This operator said:

*approx 500 operators in total

*3 classes/day. 9 are fully trained in 2 weeks.

*by these numbers, since first two vehicles arrived in Aug 31, 2014, 41 weeks ago, a maximum of 41 x 9 = 369 operators trained so far.

4407 & 5 on 509 and none I saw for 510 today.

4401 was both a training car on 509 as well a test, cars as wires were strung along the driver side. Front sign said training car and testing signs on the side.

Since next to no C Airplanes were sold in Paris, doesn't look good for the company as a whole and could cost TTC a longer delay in delivery than plan. Then, which plan as they all keeping falling behind.

Just saw 4408 (yes, 4408) heading east on the Queensway near High Park. Not in service.

That's good news. Hope to see that baby out soon.

In other good news, today I saw 5 LFLRV's on the various tracking apps. Most I've seen in service at one time in a while.

Presumably they are using less for training/testing on weekends. I noticed 4406 out as well, which someone claimed was missing again.

While he's a DB most of the time, I agree with Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong's motion to ask the TTC to look into blocking Bombardier from any future contracts.

That company needs to suffer the consequences of their extreme failure with these new streetcars.

While he's a DB most of the time, I agree with Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong's motion to ask the TTC to look into blocking Bombardier from any future contracts.

That company needs to suffer the consequences of their extreme failure with these new streetcars.

The problem is as long as there is a buy Ontario/ buy Canada bias they end up being the only option. Besides the next contract probably won't be for a hile anyway when we we need to replace the T1s about 20 years from now

What a shitty thing to suggest and/or do (block Bombardier). Clueless. Absolutely clueless about what goes on in the manufacturing world. Stuff happens, it's rectified, life goes on. The problems Bombardier ran into could have happened to any manufacturer with an order of this magnitude.

What a shitty thing to suggest and/or do (block Bombardier). Clueless. Absolutely clueless about what goes on in the manufacturing world. Stuff happens, it's rectified, life goes on. The problems Bombardier ran into could have happened to any manufacturer with an order of this magnitude.
OK. So when they disbar trade or construction contractors from bidding for x # of years, for the same reason, do you also find that to be a bad decision? Shit happens, and life goes on, right?

At some point, there needs to be consequences. Preventing a contractor or manufacturer from bidding on future work is a good option. It doesn't need to always be the option, or the only option, but it should certainly be considered an option.

The problem is as long as there is a buy Ontario/ buy Canada bias they end up being the only option. Besides the next contract probably won't be for a hile anyway when we we need to replace the T1s about 20 years from now
Under the current Canadian Trade agreement, there is no such thing as buy Ontario or Canada options anymore.

Just ask the Point Pelee folks why their new ferry is been built in Chile, not their back yard.

What a shitty thing to suggest and/or do (block Bombardier). Clueless. Absolutely clueless about what goes on in the manufacturing world. Stuff happens, it's rectified
The problem I have is that Bombardier tried to "rectify" shoddy work with yet more shoddy work (riveting ill-fitting panels). That's not only inexcusably poor quality control, it's an inexcusable attempt to hide the problem once discovered. Bombardier makes airplanes, for chrissake -- they should be damned good at quality control, and shouldn't be trying to sweep manufacturing problems under the rug.

Back