News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I'm just waiting to hear how nfitz will spin this in Bombardier's defence.
Spin what? Bombardier is late and heads are rolling.

I'm not defending Bombardier - why would anyone defend them?

Pointing out completely wrong "facts" isn't defence. It helps the case against against Bombardier; if the case if full of falsehoods then it's not believable. Simply stick to the facts. The facts are strong enough that people don't have to start inventing stuff.

In addition to people simply making up stuff, I also objected to those that seemed to want Bombardier to miss the 2019 deadline ... for what reason I can't fathom. If Bombardier even comes close to achieving the July ramp-up they have promised, they can meet the 2019 deadline.

Spin what? Bombardier is late and heads are rolling.

Spin this as in being optimistic about their ability to meet their (numerous, changed) deadline. Nothing in their record shows they can make that deadline.

And who's head is rolling? It would be nice to have that level of accountability but so far I see none.

Spin this as in being optimistic about their ability to meet their (numerous, changed) deadline.
That's not spin. Spin requires some kind of bias or agenda. I remain optimistic they can substantially complete deliveries by 2019. Personally, I'll be surprised if they get 30 this year. I'll be pleased if it's higher than 20.

Nothing in their record shows they can make that deadline.
The TR deliveries have been 8 cars or so a month on average - higher if you take out the strike, and some of the ramp up.

And who's head is rolling? It would be nice to have that level of accountability but so far I see none.
I'd assume that's what "changes by the supplier to their personnel" means!

And the gong show at Leslie Barns continues

Leslie Street will be closed an extra month after the contractor laid a stretch of streetcar tracks nearly nine centimetres too high, the latest problem associated with the much-delayed storage facility known as the Leslie Barns.

4 weeks delay to relay 60 metres of track? With no special trackwork? That doesn't sound right. It only took 3 weeks to rebuild the entire College/Spadina intersection. Sounds more like a 2-week excercise, based on what I've seen when they've been doing complete rebuilds.

I'm guessing that TTC and the contractor are using a shorter delay from this incident, to cover a longer delay for the project.

But as noted ... it's not like it's going to create any real issues for the streetcar project. And this kind of contractor error comes at no cost to the TTC/city.

4 weeks delay to relay 60 metres of track? With no special trackwork? That doesn't sound right. It only took 3 weeks to rebuild the entire College/Spadina intersection. Sounds more like a 2-week excercise, based on what I've seen when they've been doing complete rebuilds.

I'm guessing that TTC and the contractor are using a shorter delay from this incident, to cover a longer delay for the project.

But as noted ... it's not like it's going to create any real issues for the streetcar project. And this kind of contractor error comes at no cost to the TTC/city.

4 weeks seems long, but here's more information from http://stevemunro.ca/2015/05/28/another-delay-for-leslie-street/ ... apparently it's 5 weeks.

Not sure why the unconventional technique. Something to do with the sewers?

The way I see it Toronto needs to make the issues we have with the delays a bit more real to Bombardier...we have an option for 60 cars that in theory could be exercised next year...we should open up the bidding for those 60 cars to others...with the idea that not only could it be a way of diversifying the fleet, but it could also be a backup if Bombardier does go belly up due to C-Series...

If TTC doesn't have an RFP from an alternate supplier when the 60 car option is due...then Byford isn't doing his job, and neither is the commission.

We need the option to say to Bombardier, we know we have this option, but we don't believe you can make it happen, so we have this other company that is willing to do it...

I think just starting this process (asking for an RFP for 60 LRT's) would ensure that we get the rest of the vehicles in a more timely manner.

The way I see it Toronto needs to make the issues we have with the delays a bit more real to Bombardier...we have an option for 60 cars that in theory could be exercised next year...we should open up the bidding for those 60 cars to others...with the idea that not only could it be a way of diversifying the fleet, but it could also be a backup if Bombardier does go belly up due to C-Series...

If TTC doesn't have an RFP from an alternate supplier when the 60 car option is due...then Byford isn't doing his job, and neither is the commission.

We need the option to say to Bombardier, we know we have this option, but we don't believe you can make it happen, so we have this other company that is willing to do it...

I think just starting this process (asking for an RFP for 60 LRT's) would ensure that we get the rest of the vehicles in a more timely manner.
How does this put pressure on Bombardier. If they making very little profit on this cars, isn't the biggest threat that TTC WILL take up the option.

And given the closest bid for a much larger order was about 50% higher, don't you risk that Bombardier's bid on those 60 cars would be a lot higher than the cost of taking up the option?

Unlikely. Bombardier knows that no one is going to be able to compete with them on price for these cars, especially after they've finished manufacturing 204 of them.

Also, if you open up the bid, you might have Bombardier submit a bid for the 60-cars, with a higher price-tag than originally guaranteed by the option in the original contract. There might also be some sort of clause that waives the right to the option if the TTC were to do something like this.

Back