News   Jul 11, 2024
 4.6K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 281     4 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 452     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

About time - only 4 months since the last delivery. Even giving them 3 months credit for the 2 month strike, at best they are delivering 1 a month. They'll have to exceed 3 a month until the end of 2019, unless they extend deliveries into 2020.

And once deliveries begin for the Waterloo line and Eglinton line, they'll have to be pushing out 6 a month.

Well, hopefully Finch, Sheppard, and Hurontario all come on board soon. It could push Bombardier to expand and hire more workers, as it would keep them busy for a while.

From streetcarTO facebook page:

10631116_725237900865262_9038678498599043491_o.jpg

4404 on the way to Toronto.

Attachments

• 10631116_725237900865262_9038678498599043491_o.jpg
    10631116_725237900865262_9038678498599043491_o.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 929
Well, hopefully Finch, Sheppard, and Hurontario all come on board soon. It could push Bombardier to expand and hire more workers, as it would keep them busy for a while.

Not to mention the GO EMUs that will be needed.

They should be thankful for all the work. Probably one of the biggest employers in Thunder Bay.

Which really makes one question why all that economic benefit from the huge ramp up in vehicle production (LRT vehicles, subway vehicles, GO vehicles) is confined exclusively to Thunder Bay. Pretty sure that places like Windsor or Oshawa would kill for a piece of that pie.

Not to mention the GO EMUs that will be needed.

Which really makes one question why all that economic benefit from the huge ramp up in vehicle production (LRT vehicles, subway vehicles, GO vehicles) is confined exclusively to Thunder Bay. Pretty sure that places like Windsor or Oshawa would kill for a piece of that pie.

Bombardier has the contract to operate GO Transit's trains. See link.

Happy to see at least one more of these babies coming.
But honestly, one? 4 months after the first two went into service? What a joke.

Only 10 weeks since first 2 went into service.
Given the fact there were supposed to 12-18 on that date when first plan. The line is supposed to be all new cars now with a few going out on the 509 and 511.

We may see 4405 on its way later this month.

Could see 4404 in service by the middle of the month.

Bombardier has the contract to operate GO Transit's trains. See link.

Yup I acknowledge that. I'm just saying that with all of these contracts going Bombardier's way, maybe it's time to diversify from Thunder Bay and spread the job wealth around to other areas of the Province, especially where they're really needed, like Oshawa and Windsor. From what I understand the production lines are pretty silo'ed anyway, so there's no logistical reason why all of these different production lines need to be in the same location.

And why should this go to Windsor/Oshawa over Thunder Bay? All cities in Canada benefit from servicing other cities/regions of Canada. Should we start moving Oakville vehicle assembly factories to Vancouver because they buy a lot of cars? Toronto benefits tremendously from being in Canada. Oakville benefits from being in Canada. And so should Thunder Bay benefit from being in Canada. Spreading work to multiple cities is counter productive and just makes Canadian industry less globally competitive.

Be thankful Thunder Bay!!!!

Good lord that's rich. Do people really think that all those Canadian HQ jobs in Toronto would exist without Canada? The best and brightest nationally have been pouring into Toronto for a century to support Toronto's success. The benefits of being a Canadian city goes both ways. This petty regionalism shoots us all in the foot and people need to start seeing the bigger picture.

We all benefit from being in Canada and no city has arguably benefited more from this than T O R O N T O !

Last edited:
Wow....it's definitely sad when we get all hyped up for delivery of ONE vehicle out of 200..... Hopefully production ramps up to the point where a delivery is just another check in the box instead of 2 pages worth of comments. But I do have to agree that with billions worth of contracts bombardier needs to look into expanding their manufacturing operations especially since they are so far behind with even this order. Perhaps also do and internal investigation to find economies in their build processes.... Then again it could be for other reasons.........

Yup I acknowledge that. I'm just saying that with all of these contracts going Bombardier's way, maybe it's time to diversify from Thunder Bay and spread the job wealth around to other areas of the Province, especially where they're really needed, like Oshawa and Windsor. From what I understand the production lines are pretty silo'ed anyway, so there's no logistical reason why all of these different production lines need to be in the same location.
I don't understand how we can effectively do that without meddling too much in the affairs of a non-crown corporation. What, we just tell them to open up factories in Windsor and Oshawa? I don't think it really works that way. If those cities are looking to attract a company like Bombardier, then they should be campaigning to woo them to setup shop in their towns. We shouldn't be forcing the company to move production facilities around.

I don't understand how we can effectively do that without meddling too much in the affairs of a non-crown corporation. What, we just tell them to open up factories in Windsor and Oshawa? I don't think it really works that way. If those cities are looking to attract a company like Bombardier, then they should be campaigning to woo them to setup shop in their towns. We shouldn't be forcing the company to move production facilities around.

Obviously you/we cannot force a private sector industry to locate in one place or another......but lets not forget why Bombardier is in Thurnder Bay in the first place.

At some point, though, we should not be shy about purchasing equipment from other companies and if one of those companies was going to do they manufacturing/assembly in a location closer to Toronto (ie. the customer) then Bombardier might end up with a competitive disadvantage in terms of deliveries/maint./after sales service.

Obviously you/we cannot force a private sector industry to locate in one place or another......but lets not forget why Bombardier is in Thurnder Bay in the first place.

At some point, though, we should not be shy about purchasing equipment from other companies and if one of those companies was going to do they manufacturing/assembly in a location closer to Toronto (ie. the customer) then Bombardier might end up with a competitive disadvantage in terms of deliveries/maint./after sales service.

I'm guessing all the metal for the streetcars and subway cars are made somewhere like Hamilton? That's not the Bermuda Hamilton, but the Ontario Hamilton.

Back