News   May 28, 2024
 406     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 396     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 715     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

All doors will have presto as presto machines are significantly smaller. The sfvms are far to large to install in multiple sections of the streetcar, especially given their temporary nature.

Once presto is rolled out and has saturated the TTC fare media, the sfvms will play a much smaller roll with only a few people using them.

All doors will have presto as presto machines are significantly smaller. The sfvms are far to large to install in multiple sections of the streetcar, especially given their temporary nature.

Once presto is rolled out and has saturated the TTC fare media, the sfvms will play a much smaller roll with only a few people using them.

Didn't we have a discussion recently where nfitz (I think, sorry if I remember incorrectly) pointed out that the machines being used for the pre-presto rollout of PoP are rented on a short term basis? If that is so, we know exactly what roll they will play after presto....there will be a couple at Pearson airport and that's it. Pitty that, I think there is always a roll in a city that attracts millions of visitors a year for single ride tickets vended at key locations.

The presto machines will replace them, serving the same function as well as doing presto related tasks. Ticket sales in subway stations will shift from the ticket booth to automatic machines, for example, with the ticket booth operator roaming the station providing customer service.

That's one thing I don't understand ? Why don't all doors have it ??
Presumably as most people will already have a pass, transfer, or Presto once that's implemented.

What about the presto roll out, will all doors have it than ?
I think there's to be 4 Presto readers, plus the 2 vending machines which will also take Presto. So that's 6 per vehicle. Though given the 4 readers won't issue receipts/transfers then anyone transferring to a non-Presto vehicle will have to use the 2 vending machines - or grab a transfer when they arrive at Union or Spadina stations.

Any other comments btw ? Are there sufficient hand holds throughout ? i.e. I'm thinking of the issue with the subway cars where there are areas with nothing to hold.
Keep in mind, the streetcars aren't as wide as the subway.

The TTC should install the yellow 'stop request' strings in these streetcars. When it's crowded, it's incredibly difficult to reach the buttons from certain positions.

Either that, or they need to install more stop request buttons.

Normally a pocket track is a short length of double-track to allow for passing (like at Exhibition, Long Branch and Broadview loops). And normally a tail track dead ends (are there any of these left on the streetcar system - there used to be a few, including at Main and Victoria Park). But are either the correct terms for where you can run around the loop, like at Spadina station loop or Dufferin loop (among others)

Did anyone else on UT make on on the LFLRV or am I the only one? ;)

I was there too..lined up from 9:45 am to about 11:15 to get on the second run of 4403. It was pretty awesome seeing so many people interested and the cheering when they pulled into the station! And of course so many people up and down Spadina had their cameras out as the LFLRV passed by, especially a big crowd at Queens Quay Loop.

Steve Munro was there of course. Also saw Olivia Chow, Maria Augimeri, Andy Byford, Steven Del Duca. Maybe others were there but I was so far away in the line to see any other politicians taking advantage of this photo op.

The ride was very smooth. And it was a actually a little cold inside - clearly the A/C works! The streetcar was busy but not crazily so - I could have easily moved to a payment machine if I needed to. Still, I could see in rush hour it could be a problem to squeeze your way to a machine, so I will plan to get a transfer with the on-street machines. Incidentally I don't think there are enough of those machines on the street. They should be at every stop, assuming that my memories of the line-ups at certain stops holds true with the new vehicles.

I was there too..lined up from 9:45 am to about 11:15 to get on the second run of 4403. It was pretty awesome seeing so many people interested and the cheering when they pulled into the station! And of course so many people up and down Spadina had their cameras out as the LFLRV passed by, especially a big crowd at Queens Quay Loop.

Steve Munro was there of course. Also saw Olivia Chow, Maria Augimeri, Andy Byford, Steven Del Duca. Maybe others were there but I was so far away in the line to see any other politicians taking advantage of this photo op.

The ride was very smooth. And it was a actually a little cold inside - clearly the A/C works! The streetcar was busy but not crazily so - I could have easily moved to a payment machine if I needed to. Still, I could see in rush hour it could be a problem to squeeze your way to a machine, so I will plan to get a transfer with the on-street machines. Incidentally I don't think there are enough of those machines on the street. They should be at every stop, assuming that my memories of the line-ups at certain stops holds true with the new vehicles.

What? No Rob Ford? Not even for a photo op?

I noticed fare machines at some stops, but not at the one I got on at, Dundas. We waited for a while before the new one came.

The vehicle was very crowded, I couldn't get to the machine. I probably really didn't need to pay, but eventually I got to one of the machines and paid. Having a fare machine at the stop would've solved that issue. There were people from Bombardier and TTC helping inside. One woman missed her stop and started yelling angrily like crazy. My impression was a huge amount of people were there just to see the new streetcar.

The streetcars themselves are very nice, the big windows and air conditioning were great. It was nice being able to get on and off at any door and not have to pay as you go on, as well as the lack of stairs. In terms of speed and acceleration, noise, it was great.

One negative was that I did notice that some sections had pretty narrow walking areas, the areas with two seats on each side. The thing looks great on both the inside & outside. Should be a really solid upgrade once more of them come in.

=One negative was that I did notice that some sections had pretty narrow walking areas, the areas with two seats on each side.

Those narrow sections are horrible. There's only room for one person to stand and it's a pain to pass through them if the LFLRV is crowded. Unfortunately the Flexity Freedom's that will be used on ECLRT, FWLRT, SELRT are the same.

I am a fan of the two sets of double seats that are facing each other. It's good for travelling with groups of friends, or chatting with (or awkwardly ignoring) strangers. I met some pretty awesome people in those seats today, so they get a thumbs up from me :D

I was there too..lined up from 9:45 am to about 11:15 to get on the second run of 4403.

You didn't have to wait for the second run. Once I saw that I wasn't going to get on 4400 or 4403, I darted out of the station and ran south to sussex and was able to squeeze on board through the back doors. I think I was the only one there who thought to do this.

It was pretty awesome seeing so many people interested and the cheering when they pulled into the station!

I was expecting some children and a few dozen transit nerds. I was shocked when I saw the hundreds of people crowded onto Spadina Station. And according to one of the TTC employees I was talking to, they never expected turn out this great.

And of course so many people up and down Spadina had their cameras out as the LFLRV passed by, especially a big crowd at Queens Quay Loop.

People were excited. When my northbound LFLRV was passing a southbound CLRV we could see this older lady practically jumping for joy at the sight of the LFLRV. Her face absolutely lit up. It made my day. :cool:

The ride was very smooth. And it was a actually a little cold inside - clearly the A/C works!

The streetcar was busy but not crazily so - I could have easily moved to a payment machine if I needed to

That's probably because you were on the second run. The first run of 4403 had absolutely no space to move around. See my photo that I posted a few hours ago.

Still, I could see in rush hour it could be a problem to squeeze your way to a machine, so I will plan to get a transfer with the on-street machines. Incidentally I don't think there are enough of those machines on the street. They should be at every stop, assuming that my memories of the line-ups at certain stops holds true with the new vehicles.

That is one of my complaints. If my trip on the LFLRV wasn't a leisure ride, I would have been unable to pay my fare before my stop came up. The fare payment machines should be at every stop. But as others have noted, Presto will be installed soon enough at all the doors, eliminating this issue. But in the meanwhile, I hope that the fare inspectors are lenient when the vehicle is crowded.

Back