News   Jul 15, 2024
 481     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 589     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2.1K     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I understand that even though Hillcrest has a working railway south of it, they plan to transfer 4400 for transport by truck. I'm guessing they removed the sidings. However, with 200 new low-floor streetcars coming, removing the siding would have been a mistake.

Can't they put in a temporary siding?

I understand that even though Hillcrest has a working railway south of it, they plan to transfer 4400 for transport by truck. I'm guessing they removed the sidings. However, with 200 new low-floor streetcars coming, removing the siding would have been a mistake. Can't they put in a temporary siding?
I think they are doing that right now, I guess the work is not yet finished so they have to truck in the prototypes.

I think they are doing that right now, I guess the work is not yet finished so they have to truck in the prototypes.

I've seen evidence of work on a spur line at Hillcrest but I don't have good enough photos to show. It was a month ago or so that I noticed it, so it's indeed most likely not ready for the prototypes but will be ready for subsequent LRVs. I'll keep an eye out for them around there in the next little while.

I'd guess ... though presumably 4400-4402 would go into service too, sooner or later. The CLRV prototypes (4000-4005 - the ones with all the red plastic) all went into service, and the first production unit was 4010.

Not sure why they didn't start numbering at 4300.

I would have expected them to skip the 4xxx series entirely, having already used most of it on the CLRVs, ALRVs and even PCCs. 5000 would be a nice place to start - once I had found out about the numbering of the current fleet I was quite pleased to be able to catch, say, 4003 from time to time.

I've read that the do not pass sign on the back will light up when the doors are unlocked at a stop for boarding.

The sign should be dark unless lit and should read: "OPEN DOORS DO NOT PASS"
The current wording is ambiguous as to whether the doors are open or not.

Last edited:
The sign should be dark unless lit and should read: "OPEN DOORS DO NOT PASS"
The current wording is ambiguous as to whether the doors are open or not.

Hardly. The sign reminds drivers at all times what the rules are -- you don't pass open doors. Especially in cases where an out-of-town driver is closely following a streetcar, I'd far rather have them be told the rules well in advance rather than have them blink into existence a split second before people get out.

When the doors are actually open, my understanding is that there will be additional red LED warning lights illuminated.

I'm more in favour of creating a symbol or graphic for signage in important situations like no passing streetcars when passengers are about to enter/exit. Graphics can be universally understood even by those without a good command of the English language. Toronto is increasingly a meeting place for people who may not speak English so well: recent immigrants, French Canadians, and foreign visitors for instance. We should be creating graphic notices for important situations in terms of infrastructure and public spaces. I see that there is a graphic on the new streetcar for this message, but it seems secondary to the written sign.

In Frankfurt, they have traffic lights setup before the stop that change to red when the tram cross the location before coming to a stop. Once the tram moves, it turns green until the next tram comes along. These lights are located where there is no ROW.

Other cities have bump out stops for both trams and buses.

A few days ago, cars were passing streetcars with the driver on the horn to stop the cars to no use. I was on one of those streetcars about to get off and try to take a photo of another one, but wasn't fast enough.

This is simple.

bus_stop1.jpg

Install one of these behind the backmost doors. Everybody will understand it. Even out of towners.

I would have expected them to skip the 4xxx series entirely, having already used most of it on the CLRVs, ALRVs and even PCCs. 5000 would be a nice place to start - once I had found out about the numbering of the current fleet I was quite pleased to be able to catch, say, 4003 from time to time.

All series of numbers are officially spoken for. As I argue below, I would have started with 4600 not 4400.

1000 is used by the hybrid Orion VII buses.
2000 was last used by fully rebuilt GM New Looks (previously used for Witt streetcars). Two remain officially on roster, but not in
revenue service.
3000 (3000-3027) is currently used by the RT cars, though early GM New Look buses were numbered in this series in the 1950s and 1960s.
Of the 4000s, 4000-4005 is used by the SIG built CLRVs, 4010-4196 by UTDC/HS built CLRVs and 4200-4251 are the ALRVs. There's also 4500 and 4549, the two PCCs on the fleet for charters and special general revenue runs.
5000 is used by the subway fleet (T1s: 5000-5371, H5s: 5670-5807, H6s 5810-5935). Things get screwy with the Rockets though (ranging from 5381-6076).
6000 is currently vacant, last used by high-floor Flyers and non-lift equipped Orion Vs. However, the new order of Rocket Cars will spill over, leapfrogging the H-6s and maybe even the H-5s into the 6000s when the fleet is fully completed and delivered.
7000 are the oldest wheelchair accessible buses still used by diesel lift-equipped buses: diesel-built Orion Vs (7000-7134) and Nova RTS (7200-7251). From 7400 up, these are the older diesel Orion VIIs.
8000 is used by new low-floor diesel Orion VIIs, previously used for 1970s-1980s non-rebuilt GM New Looks
9000 has been the odd duck in the series, first for trolley buses, then CNG Orion Vs and VIs (the dieselized rebuilds maintain this number) and older Wheel-Trans buses. New W-T buses now start with a W prefix.

IMHO, the TTC should have started in the 6000s for the Rocket trainsets, since they started arriving after the last non-accessible Orion V was retired, instead of the mess of 5000s.
The new Bombardiers should have been numbered from 4600, to avoid colliding with the fleet numbers of the two PCCs. Even 4300-4499 would work for a fleet of 200 or less in a model series.

Last edited:
Streetcars look great. I hope they will just put a light behind to show that doors are unlocked.

I think that 'Do Not Pass' sign needs to be much bigger. Also noticed there is an electronic sign at the top; perhaps they can have a flashing sign there as well to tell drivers to stop.

In the end, they probably have to bring back that giant sticker that they have on our current streetcars.

Back