News   Aug 23, 2024
 976     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.5K     3 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 517     0 

TTC: Electric and alternative fuel buses

Greensburg, Louisville and Nashville have overhead charging stations at terminals, on the street or both. No different to what is found in Europe, other than they are lager compared to Europe. Doing it this way leaves the bus on the route for 24hr that only takes 10 minutes or less to charge or top off a bus as needed. Most terminals have more than one with some having them at all bays.

To me, having them at terminal is a must.
Heck, even locally, Brampton has overhead charging stations at the terminals for the 23/26 now, with plans to expand the footprint when the time comes. They're also overhead at many of the I'm sure there are other parts of the country under CUTRIC/CIB that are also doing similar projects with overhead charging stations either at the terminals, along the route, or both.

IIRC the overhead pantographs can charge the bus to full in 7-10 minutes. I don't remember the exact figure but it was around something similar, unless this figure was supposed to be for the newer pantographs by Siemens and not ABB.

Seems like a bad idea, not just because that team is perpetually late but when I visited YVR it was interesting seeing how the trolley busses couldn't really pass each other, not as a big of a deal there but imagine the bunching when you have 10 min frequencies .

I doubt very much that bunching would be a big problem at 10 minute frequencies. At least not on paper, whether the line supervisor is asleep at the wheel or actually doing their job is a different issue. But provided the line supervisor is capable of engaging with the world around them and reacting correctly when an emergency arises that stops the line, 10 minutes is a wide enough headway for bunching not to be a problem. Where bunching is a problem, no matter how well the supervisor does their job, is on routes with far shorter frequencies, 2, 3, 4 minutes, as we have here.

What team is perpetually late?

Back