News   May 16, 2024
 438     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 549     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 536     0 

TTC: Easier Access Phase III

I was under the impression that the elevator would bypass the parking level altogether.
I wonder if it will have a fare gate in front of it on the concourse level and on the platform level?
The notice says barrier-free access from the entrance, so my guess is there'll be a fare gate at the street level.

What is they decide to put the wye back into operation? What is the Bay Lower platform needs to film a subway scene that includes an elevator?

:p

It will also help with cargo transport. Keep in mind that Bay Lower stores various parts and so forth. Also.. if you need transport AV equipment between the street level and the lower platform for some sort of shooting it will help immensely.

I was under the impression that the elevator would bypass the parking level altogether.

I was only going by what they had it marked on the renderings. It could be very likely that they will bypass it as if it's where I think it is it's for as et of condos or apartments next to the station.

The notice says barrier-free access from the entrance, so my guess is there'll be a fare gate at the street level.

It will be interesting to see where it actually gets put as on the south side of the entrance is it's also where the photo ID facility is. They could do like they did with st. Cliar west and build a bridge over the concourse level.

I will have to keep a lookout as I work in the area and use Sherbourne station frequently.

Nothing about the east end of the Dundas West Station, to connect with UPX/GO and points east.
Dundas West is already accessible and isn't covered under the Easier Access program. The list of stations in this program are here: http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Projects/Easier_Access/Easier_Access_Schedule.jsp

Hopefully there is some plan coming soon as it is listed as one of 14 priority stations under the Second Exits program: http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Projects/Second_Exit_Projects/Second_Exit_Planning/index.jsp

Dundas West is already accessible and isn't covered under the Easier Access program. The list of stations in this program are here: http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Projects/Easier_Access/Easier_Access_Schedule.jsp

Hopefully there is some plan coming soon as it is listed as one of 14 priority stations under the Second Exits program: http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Projects/Second_Exit_Projects/Second_Exit_Planning/index.jsp

In which decade or century will Dundas West Station get its second entrance?

Was wondering what they were going to do with King. I think it’s fair to say Scotia Plaza is the busier exit (Commerce Court used to only have a collector in PM rush) but I guess the construction issues could not be overcome.

Nothing about the east end of the Dundas West Station, to connect with UPX/GO and points east.
In which decade or century will Dundas West Station get its second entrance?
There are crews on-site, and have been for months, mostly surveyors, some I've spoken with. You can see their trailers parked on the north side of the Crossways, the most northern vehicular access of which is leased from the City.

Link: http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Construction/Wilson_Station_EA.jsp

Wilson Station - elevator construction
Starting as early as November 7, 2018

Work description and purpose
Starting as early as November 7, work will commence at Wilson station to construct: three new elevators to access north and south bound platform, concourse level and bus platforms; automatic sliding station doors as per the diagram below; improved signage; CCTV security cameras along the accessible pathway; new accessible washroom on the concourse level; and a public art installation. The project is scheduled for completion by the end of 2020.

What to expect and work hours
  • Construction will start as early as Wednesday, November 7.
  • No bus or subway services will be impacted during any stage of construction.
  • Washrooms in the concourse level will temporarily closed for renovations.
  • Noise and vibration associated with construction can be expected with this work. The contractor will work to keep both to a minimum.
  • The majority of work will take place between Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Some overnight and weekend work will be required during the course of this project in order to complete the work as quickly as possible.
Pedestrian, Bicycle and Vehicular Access
  • The entrance on the north side of Wilson Avenue west of Allen Road will be temporarily closed for renovations.
  • All parking spaces will be maintained through construction.
Thank you for your patience as we work to improve transit safety and accessibility at Wilson Station.

For further information:
Mitch Underhay, Construction Liaison, 416-393-3792; mitchell.underhay@ttc.ca.

Too bad Wilson Station is simply a retrofit of three elevators into the labyrinth of a station. I've had to use a wheelchair for a short period after an injury, and getting around some of the TTC stations is awful because of it. Try going from bus terminal to Line 4 at Sheppard-Yonge. Even going from bus terminal to Line 1 requires three separate elevators. If just one of those elevators is down, you're SOL.

I'd much rather demolish the existing double-deck bus terminal and build a new larger single-deck terminal better connected with the rest of the station. I've used Wilson Station daily for five years and come to hate it because of the bus-to-subway transfer.

Too bad Wilson Station is simply a retrofit of three elevators into the labyrinth of a station. I've had to use a wheelchair for a short period after an injury, and getting around some of the TTC stations is awful because of it. Try going from bus terminal to Line 4 at Sheppard-Yonge. Even going from bus terminal to Line 1 requires three separate elevators. If just one of those elevators is down, you're SOL.

I'd much rather demolish the existing double-deck bus terminal and build a new larger single-deck terminal better connected with the rest of the station. I've used Wilson Station daily for five years and come to hate it because of the bus-to-subway transfer.

I guess this is the final nail in the coffin for the north terminal.

Link: http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Construction/Runnymede_EA.jsp

Runnymede Station - Easier Access (Elevator) Project
Construction from late 2018 to late 2020
The TTC’s Easier Access Program makes stations accessible with the addition of new elevators. The project is scheduled for completion by the end of 2020.
Runnymede Easier Access improvements include:
Barrier-free path from the main entrance to all levels of the station including the installation of:
  • 3 elevators to access eastbound and westbound platforms
  • Automatic sliding station entry doors (on Kennedy Ave.)
  • Improved signage and CCTV – Security cameras along the accessible pathway
  • Masonry repairs and fire alarm upgrades
  • As part of these upgrades, art will be installed in accordance with the TTC’s Public Art Policy.
What to expect
  • Inside Runnymede Station: Construction inside the station for elevator E1 will begin in late November, 2018.
  • In the Laneway: Construction in the laneway (to the south of the station for elevator E3) will begin in late January, 2019. The western portion of the laneway will be closed to house the elevator shaft (E3) construction workzone for approximately one year. There will be no through-traffic in the laneway between Kennedy Avenue and Runnymede Road. Once construction for elevator E3 is completed, the contractor will rehabilitate the south masonry wall of the station. Scaffolding will be set up along the northern half of the laneway during this work for approximately one to three months. The laneway will be repaved upon the completion of the project.
  • In the bus roadway: A laydown area will be set up in the bus roadway throughout the project until 2020. Construction for elevator E2 (in the bus roadway) is currently scheduled to begin in Fall 2019 (with a 3 month bus roadway closure, and a 6 month partial bus roadway closure). When the bus roadway is closed, TTC riders will board buses on-street. Signage will be in place.
  • Work zones: Protective construction hoarding will be in place and vehicles/equipment will access these work zones from Kennedy Avenue and Runnymede Road.
Noise and work hours
  • The majority of work will take place between Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Some overnight and weekend work will be required during the course of this project in order to complete the work as quickly as possible.
  • Noise, dust and vibration associated with construction can be expected with this work. Efforts will be made to keep levels to a minimum.
Thank you for your support as we work to provide an accessible transit service for Toronto.
For further information:
Denise Jayawardene, Senior Community Liaison, 416-393-6937; denise.jayawardene@ttc.ca.

Reactions: rbt
Link: http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Construction/StPatrick_EA.jsp

St Patrick Station is accessible with two elevators
New TTC subway entrance (at 480 University Avenue) is now open for customer use

St Patrick Station is the newest TTC subway station to become accessible.
The street to concourse level elevator (E2), the new accessible entrance and underground connection to the subway is now open for customer use.

This new accessible TTC subway entrance is located on the northwest corner of University Avenue and Dundas Street West (at 480 University Avenue). The entrance also includes a set of (weather protected) stairs.

The station’s new elevators now connect the street to concourse and subway platforms levels.

Cross-section image of St Patrick Station Elevators:
St.Patrick_Elevator_.jpg

As a part of this station upgrade work, Barbara Todd’s public art concept entitled, “Many Little Plans”, was selected by a local jury and will be installed (at a later date) at St Patrick Station by the artist:

“Jane Jacobs, Toronto’s revered urban activist, advised “Make many little plans” as a key ingredient for the creation of a healthy urban environment. Many Little Plans will consist of over 400 ceramic tiles installed within the alcoves of the subway platform. Every tile will portray the silhouette of a person, each with his/her unique pattern. Photographs of local residents and the station’s users, taken with full participation of the subjects, will be inserted throughout the artwork. Many Little Plans will be a compendium of ages, genders, ethnicities and walks of life, reminding viewers of the vibrant diversity of Toronto’s urban population.” – The artist, Barbara Todd

To view Barbara Todd’s public art concept entitled, “Many Little Plans”, please visit our Public Art page.

Reactions: rbt

Back