News   May 13, 2024
 76     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 528     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 634     0 

TTC: Dufferin Station Modernization (TTC, U/C)

Those coloured tiles rock. Well done.

Second that! The 8-bit art is nice, not sure about the inlay stainless tiles - they seem like gilding the lily. As to the rest of the project - like the waffle ceiling, not so hot about the exterior concrete or fine details.

AoD

Damn you ehlow, you beat me to it.

But yes, 2 bits means that the colour information is held in 2 bits of data. So for example, if colour information is encoded with 0 and 1, with each number being one bit in size:

00 = black
01 = light grey
10 = dark grey
11 = white

Or something like that :p

Damn you ehlow, you beat me to it.

But yes, 2 bits means that the colour information is held in 2 bits of data. So for example, if colour information is encoded with 0 and 1, with each number being one bit in size:

00 = black
01 = light grey
10 = dark grey
11 = white

Or something like that :p

Assuming typical greyscale colourspace, your light grey & dark grey are swapped. Alright I'll stop correcting ;)

Glad to see they've added yet another variant of their totem sign to the mix, now with a stupid handicap symbol added to it. I didn't like that sign to begin with, it's just an ugly convex TTC logo that doesn't help anyone unfamiliar with the system to figure out there are trains under the ground.

Also the U in "Dufferin" is still a completely different weight than the other letters, this will probably never be fixed.

Glad to see they've added yet another variant of their totem sign to the mix, now with a stupid handicap symbol added to it.

I actually quite like the sign. Not sure why you find it ugly, to be honest I found almost all the other variants ugly.

I think the tile pattern works way better in the concourse than at platform level. Maybe it's the height and lighting.

In my perfect world, platform level would retain most of the original tiles and use the current "fade to white" around the name. Also get rid of that ridiculous logo sign.

I am with AV on this one. For what Toronto lacks in, say, grand old palaces and baroque commercial districts, we have gobs of mid-century modern architecture and design that will, one day, be thoroughly appreciated. I wish the TTC would realize this and resist redesigning stations according to the fashion of the day.

At the same time, aside from state-of-good-repair and, of course, elevators where possible, I would much rather see capital funds earmarked for station overhauls go into the contingency fund for new streetcars if the province doesn't step up, or to convert fare collection to Presto. Investments like those will improve the quality of service in a way that, much as I love public art, station overhauls will not.

Back