News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.7K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.8K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 665     0 

TTC: Cherry Street reconstruction and streetcar trackage (City of Toronto/TTC, U/C)

Depends what they define as "new" trips.
a) new trips only during non-rush hour; or
b) new trips "eventually" once they get more streetcars, but in the shorterm just having some king runs branch off as the 514 between dufferin/cherry

as there is additional running distance for the 514 they will require new runs for it, or it will be an effective capacity loss on King (same amount of cars covering a greater distance). There is a reason the TTC had a budget line for the 514 service in their 2016 budget.

as there is additional running distance for the 514 they will require new runs for it, or it will be an effective capacity loss on King (same amount of cars covering a greater distance). There is a reason the TTC had a budget line for the 514 service in their 2016 budget.
How is there additional running distance. The shortest scheduled streetcar run was Roncesvalles to Broadview - about 8.3 km (not including the extra long loop to turn around). Dufferin loop to Cherry loop is about 7.0 km (and no extra street running needed to turn around).

I thought they were always on standby for charter. Which is basically what it'd be, a charter of sorts. Thinking about it now, I'm actually more surprised the Prov isn't doing this to sell this neighbourhood. I'd wager that if you asked the average Torontonian where the Canary District is, or where the Pan Ams Athlete's Village was located, 95% would have no idea. People don't know this area of the city, or this amazing neighbourhood. Which is a shame because it's a perfect showcase.

Looking up the charter rates, it says:

PCC streetcar
  • Passenger capacity: 46 seats (maximum 65 total seating and standing)
  • Three hour minimum $1,665.00 + $216.45 HST = $1,881.45
  • Each additional hour $392.00 + $50.96 HST = $442.96
  • The PCC streetcar is available for charter between April and October
*not sure why it's not available in the winter months
I wonder what it would be to charter one of the new ones?

The TTC is reviewing customer feedback to the initial proposal for route changes in the Pape/Carlaw-to-downtown corridor and is finalizing its recommendations for TTC Board approval at its meeting in March 2016. Streetcar service on Cherry Street is currently planned to begin on June 19, 2016. In the interim, 172 Cherry Street service will be extended to Cherry Beach starting May 8, 2016 in the evenings, Monday to Friday, and all day Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.

TTC Streetcar Service On Cherry Starting June 19th, 2016 using Accessible Low-Floor Streetcars. Source. New service called 514 Cherry.

Route map:
dRC6gk5.png

It will be great to see the new LFLRVs operating along King Street, ahead of schedule.

Good grief that 121 route. People will get seasick with all that turning.

The route seems to pick all the right ways to get stuck in traffic, so it won't be that bad. The only time this service will beat walking is off-peak.

If approve on the 23rd, the 514 will enter service 2 years late than plan. Then what is on time with TTC in the first place??

Looks like they took me up on my suggestion to switch the 72B's loop direction at Union. It was originally clockwise, but I suggested switching it for accessibility and ease of access to the Bay Street Promenade/Concourse and the Front Moat.

I also find it interesting they didn't extend the 121 to Exhibition Loop. The west side of The Gore seems like a random terminus. Through the Princes Gates and to the little loop off of Canada Bouldvard may have even worked better.

Back