News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.8K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.8K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 672     0 

TTC: Cherry Street reconstruction and streetcar trackage (City of Toronto/TTC, U/C)

The Dundas streetcar and Wellesley bus are totally MIA from this map. Whoops!
It's a map showing which routes are changing, and which routes intersect the ones that are changing.

Not sure why Dundas or Wellesley would be on there then. The 502 is missing though ... and the 140-series buses - but neither run 7-days a week.

This is exciting. This means just 900 meters from my front door I could now walk down to catch one of the new articulated streetcars at King and Cherry, get a seat, and ride that streetcar all the way to Liberty Village where I work. I guess the only sucky part is getting home it would likely be much more crowded. How does it turn around at Dufferin? Where's the loop?

If the 514 Cherry streetcar will be using the new articulated streetcars, why can't the 121 Fort York-Esplanade use the new articulated buses? Darn, curves ahead... and I mean the road.
I'm not sure what's with you and artics on the 121. You put this comment in a few places now.

It would be nice to see artics on the 121 and another 10+ routes in TO. There's a dozen routes that should get artics before the 121. Curves are fine, the 121 routing can use artics if they can go on the 63. The ridership isn't there to have artics. They'll have to take artics off another route. 41 comes to my mind. The 7 is next. Artics block intersections. There are more reasons why the 121 should get artics.

I hope they just stick the route to Queensway and have some new Nova LFS'es on the 121 but it'll probably end up as a Birchmount or Mt Dennis route. They are the ones supplying the 504's.

TTC Streetcar Service On Cherry Starting June 19th, 2016 using Accessible Low-Floor Streetcars. Source. New service called 514 Cherry.

It will be great to see the new LFLRVs operating along King Street, ahead of schedule.

I like this a lot. The 121 is essentially a Fort York version of the 'Uber bus' route, the 72 route might actually make a Riverdalian stay on it all the way downtown (if they work in Southcore, e.g.), and it will be great to see the Cherry loop in service. Actual, major TTC improvement!

Curious when are we going to learn more about what the City plans to do with the King St corridor, especially if they are adding even more streetcar routes to this already busy artery.

I like this a lot. The 121 is essentially a Fort York version of the 'Uber bus' route, the 72 route might actually make a Riverdalian stay on it all the way downtown (if they work in Southcore, e.g.), and it will be great to see the Cherry loop in service. Actual, major TTC improvement!
On most days from say 3:30pm to 7:00pm the 121 is going to be useless. It can take traffic (and I know as I park right at Front and Simcoe) 30 minutes just to get to Spadina along that route. This is a poor attempt to provide service where is really is needed, but I think we quickly learn this wasn't thought out very well.

On most days from say 3:30pm to 7:00pm the 121 is going to be useless. It can take traffic (and I know as I park right at Front and Simcoe) 30 minutes just to get to Spadina along that route. This is a poor attempt to provide service where is really is needed, but I think we quickly learn this wasn't thought out very well.

Well, if you and 50+ others got onto the bus, then maybe the traffic would clear a little. But I expect at that time you're trying to turn onto Spadina to get on the Gardiner, whilst the bus will be heading straight onto Fort York Blvd, so maybe it won't be quite as affected.

What's your alternative suggestion for the route? They have King covered with the addition of the 514 and QQ covered with the 72 extension. Are you saying they should abandon this route during afternoon rush hour altogether?

Agreed. Add in a Jays game, and those buses are going to be sitting idle on Bremner, Blue Jays Way, and Fort York. They were better off sticking with the plan to go along Front to Bathurst, since it is much less traveled.

But I expect at that time you're trying to turn onto Spadina to get on the Gardiner, whilst the bus will be heading straight onto Fort York Blvd, so maybe it won't be quite as affected.

If the road could accommodate that, sure, but it doesn't. In order to head straight through to Fort York, you still need to sit in the line of traffic going south to the Gardiner. There is no straight through lane until you get closer to the intersection.

Another thought I had about the 121. There is still a grade-separated right of way under the Gardiner, from the Fort York Visitor's Centre, underneath Garrison Road and Strachan Avenue, to Exhibition Loop. Has this been reserved for anything in particular? Had there been any thought to using it for TTC services like the 121? I'm not naive, I'm sure it has been identified for something, but I haven't heard anything.

0kK21K7.png

7LFletr.png

Another thought I had about the 121. There is still a grade-separated right of way under the Gardiner, from the Fort York Visitor's Centre, underneath Garrison Road and Strachan Avenue, to Exhibition Loop. Has this been reserved for anything in particular? Had there been any thought to using it for TTC services like the 121? I'm not naive, I'm sure it has been identified for something, but I haven't heard anything.

That was the old Waterfront plan Route that Old Fort York opposed.

You need to read this thread Under Gardiner

Well so much for that idea. No wonder Tory is supportive of it, this basically cements the existence of the Gardiner for decades to come.

At that point, the Gardiner existence has never been questioned. It's only the corner with DVP / east end that should have come down but is now going to be a cockamamie scheme, 'cause cars gotta car.

Back