News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 398     0 

TTC: Bloor Danforth Line 2 West Extension(s)

This discussion gives us the rare and exciting opportunity to use the word "node" without sounding completely ridiculous

I'm sorry, but this forum affords no privilege for ridiculous words. Somehow, it only amplifies the effect.

Also, dashingdan, "for frak's sake"? We're all excited, I know, but surely you can hold it in until Saturday night at 9 pm (8 central) on Space?

SNF:

I don't know...Saturday is a long, long time from now, and a fix is in order :p

AoD

Good to know I'm not the only one going around using the terms "frak" and "frakking". :)

I use "frak" and "frakking" all the time now. It doesn't sound as bad as the other F word, and even if anyone does hear, I doubt they'd have any clue what I'm talking about.

Wow, Season 3 premieres on Space the day after it premieres on SciFi? Now that must be a first! Unfortunately, I don't get either station so I'll just have to wait until it arrives in the, erm, ether....and get it from there.

Anyway, I realize that GO would rather have its regional terminal at Kipling, since that's where the GO train station is. That makes sense.

I guess East Mall as a station doesn't sound too creative does it? OTOH, why name it after a mall no one goes to (Cloverdale or Honeydale). As for Etobicoke Centre, that doesn't sound too bad, especially since there's already a Scarborough Centre and North York Centre, Etobicoke deserves one too.

^ The North York Centre and Scarborough Centre stations are actually located in the city centres of North York and Scarborough. This East Mall station would not be located within Etobicoke City Centre, so it can't be called Etobicoke Centre.

"OTOH, why name it after a mall no one goes to (Cloverdale or Honeydale)."

While in North America RT stations are normally named after the cross street, in Europe stations are more frequently named after the neighbourhood or local landmarks. Preferably you would want the station name to present a clear idea of its location. Cloverdale certainly is a landmark (and I would not be surprised if more people know where Cloverdale is than where East Mall is). How many people go to Osgoode Hall anyway?

As for Honeydale, one of the reasons why this extensions was brought up recently was due to the redevelopment of the site into a high-density neighbourhood, plus it's a likely location for the bus terminal. If this were come to pass, in a few years "Honeydale" wouldn't even be known as a mall, but instead as a development/community and transit node.

Or we could just ignore the idea of a name reflecting the local area altogether.

There's still a strong need for a rapid transit link, though I think relocating the bus terminals is more about getting MT out of Etobicoke.

Whats the peak ridership of these 12K+ riders during rush hour? This ridership during peak time wouldn't be greater than some bus routes in 416 that have been dismissed for rapid transit based upon the level of ridership. Don't forget, this is the GTA. We don't build for projected ridership patterns anymore, we'll keep on extending an unsuccessful line, all the way to the point where they can extend it to an empty field in vaughn for politcal gain, but not build when and where it makes sense.

I guess that ~12,000 figure includes 416ers working in/visiting Mississauga, too...

Point taken, but a rapid transit link wouldn't only serve current MT riders of course (not even taking projected growth of the west end into account), so I wouldn't want to exclusively couple the Islington numbers to the need for something better than buses.

We basically need to rethink everything and God knows when that'll happen.

Light rail through the hydro corridor could easily link Kipling to sites NW, including the airport and the Busway. Problem is the more transit infrastructure that is built reaching out from Kipling, the less likely it is that the subway will ever be extended, even if it is warranted now or down the road...the SRT effect.

I don't think it should be LRT, it should be BRT. The Mississauga Transitway will be extended to York University and to the Airport eventually, and I think the TTC should build a busway of their own to connect to this. A seamless BRT service between MCC, the Airport, York, and Kipling provided by GO, TTC, and MT would be great.

And there are actually 21,000 riders from MT suing the subway, according to the article. Dundas has 15,000 boardings per weekday, enough for LRT at least, so maybe they should build an LRT instead of a subway. Better to think small, because getting even a BRT funded is hard enough, especially with a Conservative government in power.

I never said ridership was 12,000...read the thread.

The Busway will connect to York? No way this city will fund a busway across Rexdale right now. You must mean UTM.

I dunno where he's getting York University out of this. The Mississauga Transitway just goes to Kipling and/or the Airport. How could a MISSISSAUGA brt go to York U anyway? I think he's talking about the GO Transit BRT, which the Mississauga BRT could become part of.

I dunno where he's getting York University out of this. The Mississauga Transitway just goes to Kipling and/or the Airport.

I don't see your point, the Mississauga Transitway does not go to Kipling or the Airport either. It would have to be extended to reach any of these places.

I never said ridership was 12,000...read the thread.

I never said you said it. Sorry, I was typing in ahurry so I wasn't more clear.

Back