News   Jul 15, 2024
 234     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 380     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

TTC: Automatic Train Control and Subway Platform Screen Doors

Tory said yesterday that he's asking the TTC if the ATC implementation can be accelerated so that it finishes sooner than 2020.

I missed that part of his speech. Was he asking for all of the TTC subway network to be completed before 2020? Or just YUS? If it's everything, that's pretty massive. If it's just YUS, then it's just a schedule acceleration on an existing project.

I missed that part of his speech. Was he asking for all of the TTC subway network to be completed before 2020? Or just YUS? If it's everything, that's pretty massive. If it's just YUS, then it's just a schedule acceleration on an existing project.

Just YUS. I mean, it wasn't a big part of the speech, he was giving an overview of all the current projects happening. I just figured it was worth mentioning that he said that he understands how big of a deal it is and is directing people to see if it can be done faster.

Just YUS. I mean, it wasn't a big part of the speech, he was giving an overview of all the current projects happening. I just figured it was worth mentioning that he said that he understands how big of a deal it is and is directing people to see if it can be done faster.

Gotcha. Yes, as you mention, at least he's recognizing the importance of it, even if it really is just a stop-gap measure from a crowding perspective (not saying it doesn't have other benefits as well, but the primary purpose of it is to increase frequency to relieve crowding).

Gotcha. Yes, as you mention, at least he's recognizing the importance of it, even if it really is just a stop-gap measure from a crowding perspective (not saying it doesn't have other benefits as well, but the primary purpose of it is to increase frequency to relieve crowding).

He seems very receptive to Andy Byford in general.

Agreed. Byford seems to be focusing on the right things as well. Hopefully Byford has or will soon submit a coherent list of funding or legislative items to address, and Tory can push them through Council. The next 4 years have the potential to get a lot of quick fixes implemented, and lay the groundwork for a lot of major projects. If Tory can somehow manage to get the Province on board for a return to covering some operating expenses, it'll be even better. All hail the return of fact-based governance!

John Tory appears very receptive to everyone. We saw this in the campaign, where one morning he appeared in front of Jewish group promising to defund Pride because of Islamic activists, and then in the afternoon he appeared before another group, and promised to fund Pride.

Tory will always agree with anyone with a sensible, or even passionate, case. It will be interesting to see how he actually votes when push comes to shove.

Still, it looks promising. If the TTC request of August is fulfilled, it could really help transit in this city, in the short to medium-term.

Whatever happened to Sharon Yetman and her magical platform solution?

Hopefully nothing? And I loathe to give her more hits on Google than she already does.

AoD

Her Dragons Den performance was cringeworthy.

Her implementation of the idea is horrible. But I think the concept is decent. There's a metro in spain that utilizes similar methodology for human traffic flow. If I recall correctly, it's just a door that they can close on the platform to separate the alighting and boarding passengers, but this has decreased dwell times significantly.

There's a video somewhere on YouTube of it that someone on UT linked to many eons ago.

Last edited:
Her Dragons Den performance was cringeworthy.

Her implementation of the idea is horrible. But I think the concept is decent. There's a metro in spain that utilizes similar methodology for human traffic flow. If I recall correctly, it's just a door that they can close on the platform to separate the alighting and boarding passengers, but this has decreased dwell times significantly.

There's a video somewhere on YouTube of it that someone on UT linked to many eons ago.

I think the video was actually from Chile. It was a specialized response to a design issue with the terminus station.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know if the Eglinton Crosstown will have platform screen doors for the underground section? I think it would be very short-sighted for the TTC not to include that as a requirement for the station construction contracts.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know if the Eglinton Crosstown will have platform screen doors for the underground section? I think it would be very short-sighted for the TTC not to include that as a requirement for the station construction contracts.

I agree, especially since it will have ATC already and is low platform, so doors would help ensure people don't walk onto the tracks.

I agree that Eglinton Crosstown LRT could be a "test" for ATC & platform doors. Its construction target is for 2020.

However, the ATC for the 1 Yonge-University-Spadina also has a target of 2020. It would have been nice to use the the Spadina extension to "test" ATC & platform doors, since the extension has a construction target of 2016. Could they use ATC & platform screen doors just for the extension? That would be a million dollar (plus) question.

Could they use ATC & platform screen doors just for the extension? That would be a million dollar (plus) question.

The answer seems to be no. The line as a whole will turn on ATC all at once. There is no piecemeal implementation (tendered at least) that would allow it to operate on just a single portion.

This is why the assumption of platform doors (and many support pylons were moved from platform edge as a result) was eliminated from station designs.

Back