News   Jul 15, 2024
 10     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 492     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 596     1 

TTC: Automatic Train Control and Subway Platform Screen Doors

The issue is far greater than sexual assaults on the TTC - it is a general lackadaisical attitude towards enforcing decent behaviour. Instead of using uniformed officer, they should go for plainclothes - think mystery shopper instead of authority figures.

Special Constables don't have the same training as full cops. When they do make arrests it's generally shown in the papers as the Toronto Police Force doing it. So Special Constables are paid by TTC but do they take direction from the TTC Board or the Police Board?

Either way, if it's a significant problem then the Sexual Assault Squad should be getting involved to ensure any charges placed stick.

Last edited:
Special Constables aren't full cops. They're somewhere above parking enforcement but below a regular officer.

This is really the job for the real police to be doing, preferably under the supervision of an experienced detective to ensure the charges stick.

For criminal aspects, sure - though I'd say the various TTC bylaw infractions doesn't require real police. Blowing it up to that level just ensures nothing gets done.

AoD

The issue is far greater than sexual assaults on the TTC - it is a general lackadaisical attitude towards enforcing decent behaviour. Instead of using uniformed officer, they should go for plainclothes - think mystery shopper instead of authority figures.

AoD

Lol, you want people to patrol the TTC looking for petty bullshit like littering and people clipping their nails or something? Sounds a lot like your style of forums moderation.

[Signature goes here because I'm a 50 year old on the internet.]

Lol, you want people to patrol the TTC looking for petty bullshit like littering and people clipping their nails or something? Sounds a lot like your style of forums moderation.

Indeed. And rest assured, I am quite a way from 50.

As to my (really, our) purported style of moderation, well, did you notice any litter on the forum? There maybe less yet.

AoD

Last edited:

oh-no-you-didnt.jpg

Ha! That made me chuckle.

Attachments

• oh-no-you-didnt.jpg
    oh-no-you-didnt.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 869
... though I'd say the various TTC bylaw infractions doesn't require real police.

Oh definitely. Constables can hand out tickets all day long, though I'm not sure they actually have the legal ability for plain clothes enforcement.

This is the most recent description I can find of their abilities. I don't see anything requiring a uniform, so plain clothes bylaw enforcement should be possible.

https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co..._Designation-Transit_Enforcement_Officers.pdf

One interesting thing is they do not currently have the ability to chase suspects outside of Toronto borders. York Region police will also need to give them the ability to perform enforcement north of Steeles when the Spadina extension opens.

Last edited:

If i42 was moderating, he would have banned you.

If i42 was moderating, he would have banned you.

Bans are the answer to repeat offences, and the length of them varies with the degree of offence. Talking back once, or whatever you want to call it, would not normally result in a ban.

Back