News   Jul 16, 2024
 656     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 586     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 728     2 

TTC: Automatic Train Control and Subway Platform Screen Doors

I think most people agree that platform doors do have benefits, my point was that we do not have unlimited $$ and it is best spent on more urgent priorities. (No, not vanity subways!)

Stopping suicides is not a priority? Guess you might say going without would help because then "If they would rather die, they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

BTW. Both Eglinton Crosstown LRT and the Spadina Subway extension could have, or could before they open, get the platform doors, since both would have automated train controls.

Both Eglinton Crosstown LRT and the Spadina Subway extension could have, or could before they open, get the platform doors, since both would have automated train controls.

Can ATC be used on only part of the Yonge line? I thought that the whole line had to get ATC installed before it could be used, and thus the Spadina extension couldn't get doors before the entire line has ATC implemented.

According to the November-December 2010 note at this link:

The installation of platform edge doors is closely co-ordinated with the re-signalling of the Yonge-University-Spadina Subway. Installation is scheduled to start in 2013 with the completion of the Yonge-University Loop by 2015. The second phase of construction would see platform edge doors installed on the rest of the Y-U-S line starting in 2020.

Those dates definitely postponed.

Stopping suicides is not a priority? Guess you might say going without would help because then "If they would rather die, they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.".

I neither said nor meant this and, though suicide prevention (or reduction) is certainly one possible side-effect of platform doors, it may not be the best use of scarce $$ nor the best way to do this.

I must say I was pleased to see that funding has been removed for these platform doors - while they may be a fairly good idea there are lots of "improvements' in the list of unfunded projects that would be far higher importance to most people.
View attachment 21693

Fire Ventillation improvements are a pre-requisite to full-height platform doors and I believe it's included in the $1B price tag; though with the TTC it's hard to tell.

Instead of a solid wall to separate the south track (Yonge bound) from the north platform (University bound) at Union Station, platform screen doors could be on both sides on the south track. That way the south track could use the north platform, just in case. As it is, the south track will have a solid wall to permanently keep it separate from using the north platform.

Last edited:
Fire Ventillation improvements are a pre-requisite to full-height platform doors and I believe it's included in the $1B price tag; though with the TTC it's hard to tell.

Thus, avoid full-height platform doors to make the cost more manageable.

Thus, avoid full-height platform doors to make the cost more manageable.

Half the height, 1/3rd the benefits. Stopping airflow from the tunnel from entering the station is one of the larger benefits by financial measurement.

Either way, fire ventilation improvements have priority as recommendations coming out of the Russell Hill accident and now in modern building code.

Last edited:

I_know_that_feel_bro.jpg

What are the benefits of stopping airflow, other than not losing your hat?

Dirt is a big one. Much of the station cleaning would not be necessary if train brake dust and fine particulate dirt sucked down from street level didn't get into the station areas. This became important a few years back with the combination of cleanliness becoming a major issue combined with high priced cleaning staff.

Warmth/cool air. Even if stations are not heated/cooled, it prevents the air from the units on the trains from being sucked out of the platform. Over time, trains would heat/cool the platforms sufficiently.

Last edited:

Back