News   Jul 09, 2024
 260     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 322     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 538     1 

Trust in your agent/best place to for s condo?

I don't sell real estate but I spend much of my time hovering around the edges of the real estate market. If I were thinking of buying, I would expect to sign a buyer representation agreement, at least for a short period of time, before expecting an agent to spend much time running around to properties with me. The good agents would insist on it, as they understandably don't want to waste their time, and would want to ensure their commission if they show you a property which you subsequently purchase.

My own impression, if an agent did not insist on signing an agreement, would be that that person is either brand new and naive, or so unsure of himself and desperate that he would be willing to work without an agreement and just hope for the best. These do not describe the best agents.

If you expect an agent to spend much time, beyond an initial interview, and you don't want to sign a representation agreement, don't be surprised or angry if the agent tells you in some fashion to take a hike.

Many people here would be able to think of a parallel situation in your own business, whatever your business may be.

I don't sell real estate but I spend much of my time hovering around the edges of the real estate market. If I were thinking of buying, I would expect to sign a buyer representation agreement, at least for a short period of time, before expecting an agent to spend much time running around to properties with me. The good agents would insist on it, as they understandably don't want to waste their time, and would want to ensure their commission if they show you a property which you subsequently purchase.

My own impression, if an agent did not insist on signing an agreement, would be that that person is either brand new and naive, or so unsure of himself and desperate that he would be willing to work without an agreement and just hope for the best. These do not describe the best agents.

If you expect an agent to spend much time, beyond an initial interview, and you don't want to sign a representation agreement, don't be surprised or angry if the agent tells you in some fashion to take a hike.

Many people here would be able to think of a parallel situation in your own business, whatever your business may be.

At the same time, I don't want to walk into Holt Renfrew and be limited to one sales person. I don't care if they served me first...if they're a twat, I want a new sales person! Unfortunately I had to do that once in Edmonton...fortunately Holt's often has very nice staff.

I like the 'one day' agreement idea. But signing an exclusivity agreement for a relatively long period of time? A realtor may 'release' an individual from such an agreement, but what if they choose not to? There are many unsavoury realtors. A client should be able to fire a realtor. I didnt' say NEVER sign any agreements with a realtor. Of course a realtor should get a commission for hard work! I just don't think a buyer should INITIALLY be forced to work with one person they don't know by signing an INITAL exclusivity agreement... after a relationship is built (if one doesn't already exist), sign away I say ;). But after a REASONABLE period of time... not after knowing the realtor for two minutes, and not after seven years of realtor-assisted searching! I'm using common sense here.

"But making a blanket statement to NEVER sign with a Realtor is in direct contrevention with all the Rules of RECO and TREB directly regarding agency and duties." RECO and TREB have no jurisdiction regarding 'blanket statements' by any individuals other than possibly realtors.

Referrals are dandy ...

I probably lucked out, but when I bought my condo my real estate agent was pretty great. I got in touch with her through a referral from a friend who recently purchased property.

I ended up buying something that was quite a bit below my 'max' and really never felt any pressure from her to go up to that level. In fact, she steered me (gently) away from a higher priced unit and toward the one I ended up buying as she was convinced the lower-priced one was quite undervalued and would make a good investment for me. Her strategy was more to act quickly (we offered on the very day it listed) so that the owner could be done with the process rather than offering more money.

She was completely right. The offer (of asking price) was accepted. With some affordable updates we made, the price of the identical unit in the same building has gone up a whopping 64% - in only 1.5 years. (Woo!)

She could have made more money if I purchased the other unit I was interested in, but instead guided me to a better decision. Obviously, it will work out for her well in the end, as I'll likely sell this place for more than I would the other - but we really both win in that case.

I can PM you her name / contacts if anyone is interested.

Vancouverguy 76 in his post is in this instance is absolutely correct when he states there is no law compelling a consumer to execute a contract engaging the services of a real estate agent, the same as there is no law compelling a real estate agent to accept and act on behalf of a non-client.

There are of course laws relating to how the agent must treat and deal with the public in general and specifically his or her clients with stringent penalties imposed by the regulatory authorities via an administrative tribunal for a breach thereof.

Rather than to delve into the complex matter of agency law, I shall briefly state what I believe are the fundamental and key elements of any professional relationship, primarily whether it is a fiduciary relationship or a non-fiduciary relationship.

LIABILITY
A fiduciary relationship embodies and imposes upon the agent as a matter of the common law of agency the following duties: Loyalty, Obedience, Disclosure, Confidentiality, Reasonable Care and Diligence, and Accounting , together with all the various elements of each duty. An agent in a fiduciary relationship may be held legally and financially liable in the event he or she fails to fulfill all elements of their fiduciary duty to their client, and may result, depending upon the infraction, in prosecution by the regulatory authorities, by a crown attorney on behalf of the crown for a violation of the Provincial Offences Act and/or a violation of the Criminal Code of Canada. Further, the agent may be sued civilly for damages, all of which could involve insurmountable legal costs for the agent and which in most cases is not covered by his or her insurance.

RISK REDUCTION
Therefore, because of the extended liability connected with representing buyers in a fiduciary relationship, some agents prefer to reduce their risks of liability by choosing not to represent buyers, who are known to be the plaintiffs in the majority of litigated real estate actions, but to represent only the sellers, by acting as the sub-agents of the seller’s listing broker.

A non-fiduciary relationship on the other hand, imposes none of the aforementioned fiduciary duties upon the agent and therefore none of the corresponding liability other than to treat the consumer fairly and allows the agent’s to work “WITH†the consumer as a customer, as opposed to working “FOR†a consumer as a client in a fiduciary relationship. In essence, the consumer is without representation and is legally deemed to be self-represented.

INFORMED DECISION
In Ontario, and in order for a consumer to make an “informed decision†the governing Real Estate and Business Brokers Act, 2002 requires an agent to make full and timely disclosure in writing, of the various types of relationships agreements available, together with both the positive and negative factors of each type of relationship, thus enabling the consumer to make an informed decision with respect to whether or not he or she choses to engage the services of the real estate agent and the type of relationship they desire.

In the event the consumer declines to execute an acknowledgement that he or she has been so informed, or to recognize his or her status as a customer as opposed to being a client, a prudent agent would ensure that a registered “non-engagement letter†is mailed to the consumer without delay, the purpose of which is to confirm that the agent is not representing the consumer and to circumvent any future claims of an “Implied Agency Relationship†in which the agent breached his or her fiduciary duty to the consumer. Currently a “Customer Representation Agreement†is basically a formalized non-engagement letter.

Representation Agreement
Over the years, representation agreements have progressed from what was initially a “unilateral agreement of authority†binding only upon the client, namely the seller, to what are now "bilateral agreements" binding upon both client and agent.

Currently, Buyer Representation Agreements or Seller Representation Agreements are clear evidence of a fiduciary relationship between the parties.

Note that a consumer without documentary evidence would find it difficult to successfully sue an agent for an alleged breach of the agent’s fiduciary duty, without such documentary evidence. Further, as in all contracts, the parties can agree to the insertion of a “Termination Clause†by which either party may at their sole and absolute discretion and/or for a specified cause terminate the agreement without liability.

A consumer may wish to consider entering a binding bilateral Buyers Representation Agreement with an added "termination clause" and with the clear understanding that you will not only expect but will demand that the agent fulfill all his or her fiduciary duties to you.

Important Notice: This information is provided as basic educational information by the author and is not a substitute for the advice of an expert and/or the advice of a lawyer. There is NO representation as to legality, accuracy, correctness of the herein information and the reader is strongly urged to consult a lawyer in the relevant jurisdiction to ensure accuracy before acting on this information .

Back