News   Jul 31, 2024
 451     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 446     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 373     2 

Trees for T.O. Streets please.

Todd (in the above article) and I went for a walk late on friday through Lawrence park. The next day he was giving tours to the Lawrence Park Ratepayers association, of local trees, and the need to take care of the urban forest. He does walks like these all the time, taking the message from one group to another. While we walk he'll run up people's hards, and untie trees that are being strangled or write notes and tell people what they can do to avoid a dead tree in a year.

He writes the Greenspace column in each Spacing issue as well.

Courtesy: Town Crier Online

Article

Does the Midtown area seem a lot greener to you?
It could be because over 2,000 trees have been planted in past 2 years
(Posted Date: Tuesday, May 9, 2006)
By Karolyn Coorsh

More than 2,000 new trees now dot North Toronto’s urban landscape thanks to an ambitious 2-year long project that successfully sought to enhance the area’s greenery.

Spearheaded by the North Toronto Green Community (NTGC), approximately 2,300 trees were planted, more than doubling the original goal.

The project was a community effort, involving city councillors, Local Enhancement and Appreciation of Forests (LEAF), and the City’s urban forestry department.

Planting new trees in North Toronto became an urgent issue when maturing trees in older neighbourhoods started succumbing to everyday stress, like vandalism and pollution. The groups involved in the project were eager to plant a new crop for the next generation.

"In North Toronto there’s no question, we’re blessed with beautiful mature trees that make it quite unique compared to maybe some new suburbs," said Cheryl Shour, executive director of NTGC.

"Because it takes so long to repair the canopy of trees… if you don’t plan well in advance there will be a day (where) instead of seeing that beautiful urban forest… it will be gone."

The most trees were planted east of Yonge St. in councillor Cliff Jenkins’s ward, with a total of 738 trees. Karen Stintz’s ward, Eglinton Lawrence, came in second with 468 trees planted.

Neighbourhoods that also received some much-needed greenery were in Jane Pitfield’s Leaside ward (296 trees) and Michael Walker’s St. Paul’s ward (220 trees).

The rest of the trees were planted in various neighbourhoods in Toronto.

The project involved more than just shovels and soil, said Shour.

"It was more than just the actual physical tree planting but educating people about good tree care, especially trees that are so susceptible to urban stresses," she said.

Now that the project is over, said Janet MacKay, executive director of LEAF, it’s up to residents and community groups to care for the newly planted Bur Oaks, and Hackberries.

Both the NTGC and LEAF try to educate residents on the everyday care required to keep the new trees healthy, including proper watering and mulching techniques.

"We try to encourage people, we try to give them resources and we try to be here for questions but the reality is maintenance is always an issue," said MacKay, adding that the City’s Urban Forestry Services will replace a dead tree, but does not care for all the new trees planted on a regular basis.

Although the 1,000 trees project has formally ended, the NTGC is still involved in other projects involving tree planting and naturalization.

Bill, thanks for the article. I'm going to look into initiating a similar programme in my neighbourhood.

I need some perhaps urgent tree advice (Dr. Babel Tree ?). I have some sort of coniferous tree (perhaps blue spruce), it's 7-8 ft tall. I noticed some brown spots earlier this week and assumed they were cones. I had a good look at it this morning and realized that it's something else altogether. They are clusters of gold coloured blobs, each blob about 3 cm long and one cm wide. The clusters appear throughout the tree. They feel kinda gooey. I'm not sure if its tree sap or some sort of larvae (the internet sites have set off my alarm bell). Do any of you know what the heck this is? In my four years at this house, I've never seen anything like it. I apologize in advance for my profound ignorance when it comes to gardening (my former condo-dwelling life is apparent).

borgos:

How are the blobs distributed on the tree as a whole, and specifically on what part of say, the stem? You should take a picture and post it too.

AoD

Ha, good one! My technological know-how is worthy of even more ridicule than my gardening expertise. (BTW, I am looking to purchase a digital cam. I was goingt o post something on this site requesting advice but the tree issue may be more pressing.)

Yes, borgos. Follow Dr. Diaspar's orders immediately!

Meanwhile, put on a gown and wait in the other room. I'll be with you shortly.

The clusters are spaced evenly throughout the tree, each cluster containing perhaps three blobs. The clusters are located on the branches.

Not sure, but it could be Cytospora Cankers. That said, I am not a horticulturalist, so take any info I give with a serious grain of salt.

AoD

Oh gross! I jut googled it up. I'm going to go scrub my hands again.

Perhaps they're immature cones, either male or female, awaiting pollenation? It is spring, after all. Perhaps something awesome and wonderful is about to happen in your garden?

I like your attitude, Babel. I'll assume it's something good. After all, what's the worst thing that can happen? (Don't anwer that.) Thanks.

My pink saucer magnolia soldiers on. I keep meaning to have someone spray it with dormant oil in the fall, but never get round to it. But it still looks pretty in bloom every April / May, though the poor branches are now quite black.

This weekend should be good for weeding, what with all the rain we've had, and pruning. Last week I filled one bag with garden debris, but this ought to be a two bag weekend. This time of year the city collects garden waste every week.

The redcurrant bush is bigger than ever and the raspberries are doing very well. Ditto, gooseberries and blackcurrants.

Back