News   Jul 31, 2024
 454     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 446     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 373     2 

Trees for T.O. Streets please.

When I first came to Toronto years ago, I was surprised how many (big) trees there were in the low-density(2~3 storey house) residential area. It was... Very green, peaceful and nice. Then the next surprise was probably how treeless it was in the downtown and high-density areas! Not even so graciously dense (compare to cities like Tokyo), but gave me the impression of a desolate concrete jungle. (the poor/outdated infrastructure like street lamps and lots of messy hydro lines above streets strongly contributed to the impression.)

I think Bloor Street revitalization was a big success (except I'm not sure about the unorganized flowering bushes). I think other streets in the city should follow the same path as the city(?) said on Bloor Street during its construction.

Last edited:
They just planted a nice row of trees along the south edge of the distillery adjacent to the parking area that look great against the old stone walls.

When I first came to Toronto years ago, I was surprised how many (big) trees there were in the low-density(2~3 storey house) residential area. It was... Very green, peaceful and nice. Then the next surprise was probably how treeless it was in the downtown and high-density areas! Not even so graciously dense (compare to cities like Tokyo), but gave me the impression of a desolate concrete jungle. (the poor/outdated infrastructure like street lamps and lots of messy hydro lines above streets strongly contributed to the impression.)

I think Bloor Street revitalization was a big success (except I'm not sure about the unorganized flowering bushes). I think other streets in the city should follow the same path as the city(?) said on Bloor Street during its construction.

Two problems.

When property owners build their large multi-story buildings, they usually try to build up to the property line. In the process, the mature trees go. The replacement trees are usually on city property, and end up constricted.

The city has been planting new trees on city property, but the trees selected are dwarf, slow growing trees. The trees are very slow growing that they take decades longer to grow to maturity.

Two problems.

When property owners build their large multi-story buildings, they usually try to build up to the property line. In the process, the mature trees go. The replacement trees are usually on city property, and end up constricted.

The city has been planting new trees on city property, but the trees selected are dwarf, slow growing trees. The trees are very slow growing that they take decades longer to grow to maturity.

Two problems well stated, to be solved :)

Also - in the pre-automobile age - downtown streets such as University, Jarvis and Sherbourne used to have wider pedestrian realms with large and mature trees, and fewer lanes for traffic.

Also - in the pre-automobile age - downtown streets such as University, Jarvis and Sherbourne used to have wider pedestrian realms with large and mature trees, and fewer lanes for traffic.

Don't forget Avenue Road and Davenport were both widened to accommodate more lanes of traffic.

s0372_ss0058_it1469.jpg

f1244_it1140.jpg

s0071_it5820.jpg

The photo of University south of Bloor is a good example of what Toronto lost when it decided to become completely car-centric. It also shows us what we could recreate if we were willing to lose a traffic lane or two on major streets.

Here's a picture of Dufferin Street looking north, in 1948. Dufferin Park is a racetrack that is now the Dufferin Mall.
s0372_ss0058_it1815.jpg

Dufferin at College. No traffic lights.
s0372_ss0058_it1812.jpg

Dufferin at Bloor. With the trees about to go.
s0372_ss0058_it1818.jpg

Dufferin at Dundas. Before.
s0372_ss0058_it1878.jpg

Dufferin at Dundas. After.
s0372_ss0058_it2132.jpg

Isn't that the gate standing at the Bloor street entrance of the Philosopher's Walk right now?
I read it on the information plate(?) that it was relocated from somewhere around Queen's Park.

Oh it may indeed have been relocated. I thought they looked familiar. That would make sense.

Yes, they're the Alexandra Gates, named after ( "Royal Alex" ) Alexandra, wife of the playboy King Eddie 7, erected ( the gates, that is .. ) in 1901 and moved in 1960.

Hi i am new to this group and want to be a part of all your experiences related to trees and want to share mine also with all of you.

Back