News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.8K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 570     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Transportation Policy in Canada

^It’s remarkable that there is no federal coordination or funding mechanism for the Trans Canada Highway, even.

Ottawa certainly provides funding, but only as a piecemeal sprinkling of ad-hoc gifts. I’m surprised that the Provinces haven’t demanded a steadier cash flow.

- Paul

I would love to see the Trans-Canada developed so that it's a proper 4 Lane divided Highway from end to end. But realistically we don't need that anytime some. And the money would be better spent elsewhere.

The US built the interstates at enormous cost. Over half a trillion in today's dollars. Ostensibly for defence purposes as much as economic purposes. But we don't have the same defence concerns today. And a lot of the same economic concerns, Americans had then, are met by our railroads and airlines today.

^If Ottawa actually held power over TCH, the feds would have to decide which sections get investment and which don’t. This way, they never have to say “no” to anyone. Nor can anyone evaluate whether they are doing a good job. And they get to turn up with bags of money wherever they do decide to fund some project - always the good guys, never the black hat. Great politics.... but certainly a contrast in decisionmaking style to, say, HFR with its detailed cost-benefit-ROI diligence.

- Paul

We don't have a loud jurisdictional history of 'States' rights' like they do in the US, just a more subtle one based on money. Pushing the CPR to the west coast, and having it follow a southern routing, was seen as a necessity in nation-forging (and was a condition of BC joining) and protecting the underdeveloped west from US encroachment. Federal support of the other later transcontinental routes was likely seen in a similar light. In the early days of commercial air travel, the feds did fund a string of airfields, or at least in-fill fields where they didn't otherwise exist, which is somewhat similar. I'm not sure a national end-to-end highway has ever been seen in a similar light. Stitching together roads under provincial jurisdiction and helping to fund bits and pieces for economic reasons seems to be extent of federal interest.

We don't have a 'national policy' in a lot of areas that other jurisdictions do, education being one, and I'm not convinced it is always needed. What would a federally owned and funded national highway do beyond what we have now, other than possibly anger the jurisdictions it doesn't touch?

We don't have a 'national policy' in a lot of areas that other jurisdictions do, education being one, and I'm not convinced it is always needed. What would a federally owned and funded national highway do beyond what we have now, other than possibly anger the jurisdictions it doesn't touch?

As of today, probably nothing. That might change if, say, a federal government was elected with a determination to turn off the money tap. Or even refuse to fund a particular TCH project that a particular province was desperate for but couldn’t fund themselves. So far, enough money flows that the provinces have found other topics to complain about Ottawa being stingy. Even our stingier pols have been astute enough not to turn highways into a money issue. I’m mostly surprised that the provinces haven’t tried to get an ongoing funding guarantee.

Hypothetically, some regulatory issue could emerge that forces a federal override. Suppose a particular province imposed tolls, vehicle standards, driver standards, etc that affected interprovincial trucking or access to markets. Realistically, our north-south relationship with the US probably prevents this....most provinces adjoin the US, and cross border road travel outweighs interprovincial matters. No province is going to mess up its own cross border affairs.

At that, the feds would probably find a way to quietly solve the issue with money, or by silent quid pro quo pressure. Having a federal bureaucracy wouldn’t be required.

- Paul

As of today, probably nothing. That might change if, say, a federal government was elected with a determination to turn off the money tap. Or even refuse to fund a particular TCH project that a particular province was desperate for but couldn’t fund themselves. So far, enough money flows that the provinces have found other topics to complain about Ottawa being stingy. Even our stingier pols have been astute enough not to turn highways into a money issue. I’m mostly surprised that the provinces haven’t tried to get an ongoing funding guarantee.

Hypothetically, some regulatory issue could emerge that forces a federal override. Suppose a particular province imposed tolls, vehicle standards, driver standards, etc that affected interprovincial trucking or access to markets. Realistically, our north-south relationship with the US probably prevents this....most provinces adjoin the US, and cross border road travel outweighs interprovincial matters. No province is going to mess up its own cross border affairs.

At that, the feds would probably find a way to quietly solve the issue with money, or by silent quid pro quo pressure. Having a federal bureaucracy wouldn’t be required.

- Paul

When it comes to the annual 'whining for dollars' federal-provincial game show, healthcare is the usual prize with big-coin transit funding being a close second for select provinces. Whether federal highway project dollars for a large-scale THC-type project is a big voter-getter depends on the province. Twinning the THC through New Brunswick was a bigger local deal than, say, one of the routes through northern Ontario would be. Interestingly, I read a number of years ago that Quebec wasn't willing to put up enough money to finish twinning Rte 185 because it benefitted Canadians more than Quebecers (I don't think it's done yet).

To your examples, other than tolls which are within provincial jurisdiction and do exist, the others clearly fall under federal jurisdiction and any provincial attempt to make local rules would constitutionally fail. Our Constitution defaults the feds over the provinces when the issue is ill-defined, which is the opposite of its US counterpart. in the case of trade and commerce and inter-provincial matters, the feds clearly win.

Interesting discussions on this page, haven't looked back for the last three. The go-to is to compare ourselves to the US. And for their faults, things like the NHS/interstate are fairly robust. For public transit, again for its faults, add up the quantity of genuine subway systems in the US and it's more than us by a long shot. Likely similar for LRT as well. Not saying there aren't faults. But the groundwork was laid for greatness from a federal level. Easy comparison is using 10:1 ratios - since we have 1/10th the pop roughly, do we also have 1/10th what they have? A more nationalized approach would likely help some in that regard. .

I see other discussions re: railway and interstate and have to share this map since it's fitting (and it's just too cool). Infographic of freight movement by rail, truck, and water, produced by the US federal gov't. Would we have the data to present something like this with our more (p)rovincial manifold approach?

Figure%203-3%20Freight%20Flows%202012%20formerly%20Fig%203-4_0.jpg

Reactions: rbt
Interesting discussions on this page, haven't looked back for the last three. The go-to is to compare ourselves to the US. And for their faults, things like the NHS/interstate are fairly robust. For public transit, again for its faults, add up the quantity of genuine subway systems in the US and it's more than us by a long shot. Likely similar for LRT as well. Not saying there aren't faults. But the groundwork was laid for greatness from a federal level. Easy comparison is using 10:1 ratios - since we have 1/10th the pop roughly, do we also have 1/10th what they have? A more nationalized approach would likely help some in that regard.

Just to provide an example of where Canada has quite more than its proportional one-tenth of the US value:

I see other discussions re: railway and interstate and have to share this map since it's fitting (and it's just too cool). Infographic of freight movement by rail, truck, and water, produced by the US federal gov't. Would we have the data to present something like this with our more (p)rovincial manifold approach?

Figure%203-3%20Freight%20Flows%202012%20formerly%20Fig%203-4_0.jpg

Fascinating map, but what’s that insane rail freight volume between Buffalo/WY and Kansas City???

Last edited:
Fascinating map, but what’s that insane rail freight volume between Buffalo/WY and Kansas City???

Power plant coal from the Powder River.... and it’s a thing of the past.

50-60+ loaded trains a day just a few years ago, 9 trains a day recently.

For all the bluster, America has gotten itself off coal. Pure economics, plus a touch of government.

- Paul

^Interesting that the map does not display Great Lakes shipping. The volume of material shipped by US carriers just between US ports on the Great Lakes is enormous. Canada makes extensive use of the Seaway to international destinations, the US does not.

- Paul

Power plant coal from the Powder River.... and it’s a thing of the past.

50-60+ loaded trains a day just a few years ago, 9 trains a day recently.

For all the bluster, America has gotten itself off coal. Pure economics, plus a touch of government.

- Paul
It's actually feasible for the United States to switch to 100% solar:

The video is almost two years old, but it's still relevant (especially with solar power being cheaper and more efficient than when the video was made).

Just to provide an example of where Canada has quite more than its proportional one-tenth of the US value:

Oh for sure, ridership for transit (local, regional, inter-city) we do exceptionally well. I know it's a bit of a cliche to say we're 'more European' in that regard, but I think there's truth to it. I more meant the groundwork of getting things like subway systems and rail lines started (stuff that may even be Eisenhower era, but still relevant to the topic of federal transport policy). Whether they decided to throttle existing lines or neglect them after the fact is a different story.

Also a curiosity, between Canada and the US, which one has *closed* more inter-city rail over the last 30-40yrs. I'd be inclined to say the US without knowing of any. But do know of some here.

^Interesting that the map does not display Great Lakes shipping. The volume of material shipped by US carriers just between US ports on the Great Lakes is enormous. Canada makes extensive use of the Seaway to international destinations, the US does not.

- Paul

Would love to see that. Perhaps they cut off the Great Lakes from "inland" since there's so much border sharing. In the same way we don't see domestic intra-coastal (i.e open water). Still though, would TC or Statscan have the ability to produce a map like this? Somehow I doubt it.

Would love to see that. Perhaps they cut off the Great Lakes from "inland" since there's so much border sharing. In the same way we don't see domestic intra-coastal (i.e open water). Still though, would TC or Statscan have the ability to produce a map like this? Somehow I doubt it.

Without googling too seriously, I was able to find this product from TC , Stats Canada had some interesting but pretty spotty data to offer. (Ever wondered about water temperature in Bruce County waterways?). The individual provinces have various traffic counts, not necessarily standardised so one can compile and compare.

What I found interesting in the US maps is how the main rail lines and the main highways do tend to parallel each other. If you look closely, many of these hide each other on the map. I would like to see data on how the TCH and the railways in Canada stack up in terms of freight volumes... and for railway, what intermodal volumes does the “hub” approach feed onto highways.

- Paul

Without googling too seriously, I was able to find this product from TC , Stats Canada had some interesting but pretty spotty data to offer. (Ever wondered about water temperature in Bruce County waterways?). The individual provinces have various traffic counts, not necessarily standardised so one can compile and compare.

What I found interesting in the US maps is how the main rail lines and the main highways do tend to parallel each other. If you look closely, many of these hide each other on the map. I would like to see data on how the TCH and the railways in Canada stack up in terms of freight volumes... and for railway, what intermodal volumes does the “hub” approach feed onto highways.

- Paul

Oh yeah the scale sort of hides things. Would be nice for an interactive map to zoom in, with a bonus reason being able to see intermodal hubs and their movements. Also a being able to shift between time periods to see growth or loss in some modes, and regions/sectors like the Wy coal boom you pointed out earlier.

Sorry for steering the discussion a bit o/t. Am a bit of a sucker for infographic maps. And thanks for the link. Searching it, seems there was a time when we presented data visually for the public to digest. See flow line maps that are effectively ancient (50s era).

084.jpg

And just for fun an infographic showing rail growth, commodities carried by rail, freight and passenger mode trends (70s era).

207_208.jpg

I’m responding to @Urban Sky and others’ comments here, and not in the newest-created thread, because a) I don’t think we need more new threads and b) for the moment, I’m acquiescing to @Urban Sky's desire to limit discussion in the VIA Rail thread to the “here and now” of VIA’s network (although I’m not sure why we can’t discuss what VIA might become, or ought to become, in the same forum as we discuss what it is).

The question that we seem to drift into is “How do we advance passenger rail beyond what VIA Rail provides”

First of all, I find it outrageous how VIA’s mandate is kept in the hands of federal bureaucrats and politicians, with so little transparent debate or legislative direction. We need a Canada Passenger Rail Act, and it needs to tell the government the rules for having or not having passenger rail service... and not leaving that to Cabinet in secrret without criteria or guidelines or public input. Unless we fix that, nothing else will ever work well. VIA is an imperfect and illogical portfolio of a smattering of non-corridor services, with those services placed outside its mandate forced into an unreasonable “do it yourself” proposition. What VIA does, it does well.... but it’s Cinderella not being allowed to attend the ball, lest a Prince might actually fall for its charms.

We need some logical path forward (and again some enabling legislation) around services which might not fit a federal vision but which are desired more locally. There is an Amtrak precedent - the 403b approach. Canada might not copy it word for word, but the absence of a documented, legislated process which allows a non-federal entity to propose and sponsor a passenger service, on a level playing field which transparently balances private railway interests against the public interest of the service, is again a profound flaw in Canada‘s transportation policy.

I do not understand why (other than government‘s bullying of VIA) one would not empower VIA to go after every possible sponsor who might be willing to underwrite passenger rail on a regional basis.The removal of these services from VIA’s mandate in past decades was wrongheaded and likely done with an eye to killing passenger rail, period. (This is the Stockholm syndrome bit.... VIA has to pretend its mandate makes sense, where any more reasonable and conventional business model presumes aggressive pursuit of markets). Not every proposal will make economic sense, but batting these back to the Provinces who have little negotiating leverage and little supporting infrastruccture is unhelpful.

As a case study - There are rumours that GO Transit may eventually assume commuter oriented service Guelph-London to backstop an abdication of a proper regional service. One could envision a “GO Intercity” entity which might serve eg Toronto-Kitcherer-London(-Sarnia?), Toronto - Niagara, Toronto-Kingston, Toronto-Timmins, and Toronto-North Bay- Sault Ste Marie routes with equipment schedules and amenities that look more like VIA than a commuter train. Even if Metrolinx took that on as a Provincial network, Why would VIA not want to be the contractual operator, bidding against the like of Bombardier, DB! etc as Amtrak does on Regional contracts?

It seems reasonable to write off the country’s most critical freight lines as no longer able to support passenger trains (other than non-time sensitive, “cruise” operations) given they are run with maxed-out capacity and given that it would be difficult to inject public investment into these routes to add incremental capacity without creating operational and shareholder tensions. That to me rules out any hope of a daily direct Toronto-Sudbury service..... it just won’t mesh with freight on that route (I won’t recycle my views on Montreal-Toronto, but I may not feel the same on that specific lines as the transcons). However, there are routes where freight operations are not at that level, where mixed freight-passenger service could be viable.

Toronto-North Bay is an example. That was, in fact, a VIA route not an OnR route. Sault Ste Marie- North Bay passenger and Timmins-north Bay could both feed to that (with substantial capital investment, admittedly). It’s not wrong to look at the business case for that.

I don’t accept that VIA’s mandate boundaries are so sacred as to leave VIA out of the growth picture. Once the long distance fleet wears out, making the Halifax Winnipeg and Vancouver operating bases redundant, VIA could see its mandate shrinking to the ON-QC corridor just as demand and funding for services elsewhere reach critical mass. A policy of “ Go ahead and do it regionally” could exclude VIA altogether. (eg - If Calgary-Banff service wins favour, don’t assume VIA will be tagged to operate it).

While I don’t accept the premise that Sudbury Toronto service (just to pick the example) is a crying need, neither do I see it being considered in any rational and integrated way. (As to the Northlander, I don’t consider the known and notorious advocacy to date, capitalising on a reckless promise by a government and local MPP that should have known better, to be a sound business case). VIa seems to have the acumen to analyse these ideas (as shown by its efforts to build the business case for HFR) but it is muzzled about any growth initiatives. Abetter transportation policy would give these ideas a greater chance of rational study.

Whew. Wordy as ever.

- Paul

Last edited:

Back