News   Jun 27, 2024
 265     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 503     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 317     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

why cut service at Ajax? or Mississauga? A significant amount of ridership comes east and west of those termini. I would extend service to Newmarket as well..

Right, I forgot to mention (or, I mentioned before) that the map does not include other train services. GO (electric) Interregional trains would run express to places such as Newmarket, Barrie, Hamilton, Kitchener, Oshawa, etc. Those trains would probably look like (and be the equivalent of) these trains.

Last edited:
So it took me some time, but I finished the map that I was talking about a couple pages ago. Some things to note:

1) This map is a collection of what is existing, funded, or planned. This is not a representation of what I would like to see, or what I think should be built. It's just showing what is officially on the books now.

Nice map, but where is it "officially on the books" that the King streetcar will be removed from King East and Broadview?

So it took me some time, but I finished the map that I was talking about a couple pages ago. Some things to note:

1) This map is a collection of what is existing, funded, or planned. This is not a representation of what I would like to see, or what I think should be built. It's just showing what is officially on the books now.

2) This is intended to fit in the 20x28" TTC subway poster spots. The idea is that the entire RT map is shown here, while individual line diagrams are shown above the doors.

3) Wayfinding scheme: Heavy rail transit routes are numbered, LRT/BRT/Streetcar routes are lettered. It gives a pretty clear distinction between the two, while still having both shown on the same RT map.

4) I included GO RER as a separate map, because in the future the integration between the TTC and GO will only increase, and GO will become a valid travel option for Torontonians, and thus should be shown as such on maps.

5) Routes run by other local agencies are shown in a uniform grey on this map. This is to illustrate the fact that they're there, but they're grey to not draw attention to them.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Great map.

You seem to be missing the 502 Downtowner and the 503 Kingston Road streetcar, though.

I also think that the streetcar lines might benefit from light grey text indicating the street, sort of like in this map. But I can see there being some readability drawbacks. Any thoughts?

TTCstreetcarmap-2005.png

Attachments

• TTCstreetcarmap-2005.png
    TTCstreetcarmap-2005.png
    132.8 KB · Views: 1,404
Nice map, but where is it "officially on the books" that the King streetcar will be removed from King East and Broadview?
It isn't.

Given this thread is about TTC cartography and not fantasy maps, perhaps the fantasy maps should stay in the fantasy map threads.

Updated map, with the corrections noted by Ozman and others:

TTC%20Rail%20Map.jpg

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43869799/TTC Rail Map.jpg

Presumably if the DRL is run under King the King streetcar would likely be removed from that stretch. Similar to what happened on Yonge and Bloor when the subways were introduced.

Great map.

You seem to be missing the 502 Downtowner and the 503 Kingston Road streetcar, though.

I also think that the streetcar lines might benefit from light grey text indicating the street, sort of like in this map. But I can see there being some readability drawbacks. Any thoughts?

Thanks! And good points, it looks like I did overlook those 2 routes. And I'll experiment and see how it looks with the light grey text. Hopefully it'll look ok, because I do agree that it would increase the effectiveness of the map.

It isn't.

Given this thread is about TTC cartography and not fantasy maps, perhaps the fantasy maps should stay in the fantasy map threads.

This isn't a fantasy map though. This is a representation of what the TTC rapid transit map could be redesigned to look like in order to increase usability. None of the lines shown on here are "fantasy". They're currently on the books. I made a few assumptions where details haven't been fleshed out yet (DRL alignment, station locations along SmartTrack, etc), but everything on here is the current plan.

Last edited:
Presumably if the DRL is run under King the King streetcar would likely be removed from that stretch. Similar to what happened on Yonge and Bloor when the subways were introduced.

I think that's highly unlikely. The Yonge and Bloor subways were essentially "upgrades" of the existing streetcar routes in that they replaced long stretches of the routes. The DRL East -- if it even runs under King -- would duplicate only a small stretch of the King route before diverging towards Pape/Donlands.

In any case, I see that the map has been moved to the Fantasy Maps thread, which is where it seems to belong.

This isn't a fantasy map though. This is a representation of what the TTC rapid transit map could be redesigned to look like in order to increase usability. None of the lines shown on here are "fantasy". They're currently on the books. I made a few assumptions where details haven't been fleshed out yet (DRL alignment, station locations along SmartTrack, etc), but everything on here is the current plan.
If you think TTC would ever do anything like putting every streetcar line, Go train, GO bus, and VIVA route on their vehicle maps, then yes, it is a fantasy.

Especially the stuff like killing service on Broadview south of Dundas, Cherry ...

This isn't a fantasy map though. This is a representation of what the TTC rapid transit map could be redesigned to look like in order to increase usability.

I see that the mods finally cleaned up the Cartography thread. Suprise surprise, a bunch of posts were moved to the fantasy thread.

Updated map, with the corrections noted by Ozman and others:

Nice map! It really is a tight squeeze to get all the LRT stations/stops in, particularly the SELRT – but you’ve done it exceptionally well. Even when I excluded the FWLRT and SELRT and tried to only put in the Crosstown East’s stops, it was tricky and I didn't like my end result. When I had to move Birchmount and Ionview to the underside of the line to make it fit, IMO it screwed up the flow of things on my map - considering that every one of my E-W stations I had the name placed above the station.

And seeming that it's a common practice to point out mistakes (not as a critique or anything, but just to improve your map for future presentations), it looks as though there’s a station icon missing for St Lawrence.

As well, one thing I have a concern about is the font size. When I attempted to do a copy of the TTC’s system, but to-scale, I found I could only make it work by reducing the font size by a few points. Though this was for the map in the T1 cars, which does seem to have a bigger font than the LED map in the TRs. But I feel like anything smaller than the font in the Toronto Rocket subway map may be an issue for readability. Perhaps there's a set of guidelines floating around that describes how legible maps/ads have to be from certain distances...

It would be interesting to see how the TTC decides to organize things once the LRT lines are built. I believe the map will have to be redesigned, which means that each of the LED display boards will have to be reengineered, rebuilt, replaced etc...how much will that cost? I'm still of the opinion that the TTC will eventually have to abandon the space above the doors and move to a wall-mounted map.

One suggestion for doing a line with lots of stops would be to list the names of major stops/streets, and use a tick for minor ones. That way, people know there's a stop in between (the tick), and still have the major street names to help with navigation.

One suggestion for doing a line with lots of stops would be to list the names of major stops/streets, and use a tick for minor ones. That way, people know there's a stop in between (the tick), and still have the major street names to help with navigation.

Interesting idea. Kinda reminds me of the TTC prototype map a couple years ago when they moved to numbering lines. FWLRT and SELRT seemed to be missing 2/3 of their stops (but without any ticks or marks to show that anything was there). I think I might try something where I minimize the font size only for stops. So Crosstown East, Finch, and Sheppard would all have smaller font people have to squint at.

I think that's highly unlikely. The Yonge and Bloor subways were essentially "upgrades" of the existing streetcar routes in that they replaced long stretches of the routes. The DRL East -- if it even runs under King -- would duplicate only a small stretch of the King route before diverging towards Pape/Donlands.

In any case, I see that the map has been moved to the Fantasy Maps thread, which is where it seems to belong.

The DRL in this scenario covers a good chunk of the King route. The only stretch that isn't really covered is the small stretch between Queen and Dundas along Broadview, which is easily within walking distance of either the Queen streetcar, or the future DRL station on Queen. The Dundas streetcar would still serve the area north of Dundas. I honestly don't see the need for the King streetcar east of downtown when you have a much faster, much higher capacity transit route running within a block or so of it for most of the route.

If you think TTC would ever do anything like putting every streetcar line, Go train, GO bus, and VIVA route on their vehicle maps, then yes, it is a fantasy.

Especially the stuff like killing service on Broadview south of Dundas, Cherry ...

Not on the individual line maps above the doors, but on the broader system map, I think it does make sense. The TTC system doesn't exist in isolation, yet it's depicted as such on the RT map. With future fare integration between GO and 905 transit agencies, why would the TTC not at least show these connections to other transit systems? Vanity? A smug sense of superiority? Both the Boston and NYC subway maps show regional rail routes alongside subway/LRT lines.

Nice map! It really is a tight squeeze to get all the LRT stations/stops in, particularly the SELRT – but you’ve done it exceptionally well. Even when I excluded the FWLRT and SELRT and tried to only put in the Crosstown East’s stops, it was tricky and I didn't like my end result. When I had to move Birchmount and Ionview to the underside of the line to make it fit, IMO it screwed up the flow of things on my map - considering that every one of my E-W stations I had the name placed above the station.

Thanks! And yeah it's a challenge to squeeze a primarily E-W map onto a vertical page. If you're having trouble fitting them all on one side, my suggestion would be to alternate between above and below, that way it doesn't interrupt the 'flow' when reading them, since they're all that way.

And seeming that it's a common practice to point out mistakes (not as a critique or anything, but just to improve your map for future presentations), it looks as though there’s a station icon missing for St Lawrence.

Thanks for pointing that out. That could be because of the layering adjustments I did, it just got hidden behind.

As well, one thing I have a concern about is the font size. When I attempted to do a copy of the TTC’s system, but to-scale, I found I could only make it work by reducing the font size by a few points. Though this was for the map in the T1 cars, which does seem to have a bigger font than the LED map in the TRs. But I feel like anything smaller than the font in the Toronto Rocket subway map may be an issue for readability. Perhaps there's a set of guidelines floating around that describes how legible maps/ads have to be from certain distances...

That's a good point. Obviously I would have to print it out on a 20x28" sheet to see how it would actually look. It's a fine balance between too small to read and too big that it crowds the map.

It would be interesting to see how the TTC decides to organize things once the LRT lines are built. I believe the map will have to be redesigned, which means that each of the LED display boards will have to be reengineered, rebuilt, replaced etc...how much will that cost? I'm still of the opinion that the TTC will eventually have to abandon the space above the doors and move to a wall-mounted map.

Yup, there will simply be too much information that will need to be squeezed onto the overhead maps to make them effective, if they decide to keep the entire system on there I mean. Going back to the post about streetcars on the map, I think the streetcars have been excluded from the TTC overhead maps for legibility reasons more than anything. It would be too much info on such a small space. But if you switch to a wall-mounted map, suddenly you have a lot more space to work with, and thus a lot more relevant information that you're able to show.

Boston does something similar for the Green Line stops on the branches. Were you thinking for the LRT, for the streetcars, or both? LRT I can definitely see, because they're off on their own, but the streetcars are so intertwined and there are so many stops that it may be difficult to make it fit.

Last edited:

I don't believe that would be ideal for the 20" x 28" ad space. Remember that there would be people sitting below these ads. It wouldn't be a comfortable situation to have customers leaning over each other to look at tiny tics on the map. The map is informations dense enough as is

I don't believe that would be ideal for the 20" x 28" ad space. Remember that there would be people sitting below these ads. It wouldn't be a comfortable situation to have customers leaning over each other to look at tiny tics on the map. The map is informations dense enough as is

Really?

ttc16to7.JPG

I don't know how tall this woman is, but this doesn't seem to be an issue like you say it will be.

Regardless, I don't agree with the idea of non-labeling the streets. Judging by gweed's map, it certainly looks to be possible to name everything that is necessary. The map can even be made to be a lot wider.

Toronto_Rocket_gangway_interior.jpg

Attachments

• ttc16to7.JPG
    ttc16to7.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 938
  • Toronto_Rocket_gangway_interior.jpg
    Toronto_Rocket_gangway_interior.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,272
Last edited:

Back