News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 409     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

as much as I dream for 60 minute off peak to uxbridge, there simply isn't demand. It would probably be picking up only around 20 people each time it stopped. Currently I can only really see half-decent demand for 3 or 4 peak hour trains. The only way I could see it working is if GO bought and operated single train versions of the O-Train, shuttling passengers to Lincolnville or Stouffville. (lincolnville could probably be eliminated with an uxbridge extension, it is mostly used by people living in uxbridge)

The Exurban Shuttle is exactly what you have described: an O-Train style DMU. During the day it would simply be 2 DMUs going back and forth, meeting midway. During rush hour an extra DMU would be added, or in some cases a full GO train. In a lot of cases it would simply be a replacement for GO buses, seeing as how the capacity would only be about double.

You may as well bring it to cobourg if you are bringing to port hope.

That's a good point.

also, what is GO local?

GO Local is the term I've used for any GO service that's not GO REX (ie electrified). Basically it's the current style of GO service.

20130925map1959.jpg

Generalized form of rapid transit extensions projected for Metropolitan Toronto area, 1959. City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 1567, Series 648, File 49.
You may recognize a few still-unrealized lines on this map. These projections suggest that Scarborough’s transit future included an extension of the Bloor-Danforth subway line and the northeast track of a prototype Downtown Relief Line.
Source: Torontoist

Interesting to see the different possible routes for the DRL back then, including interlining it with the DRL and bringing it west of Humber Bay.

20130925map1975.jpg

Source: Torntoist

Looks like Miller/Giambrone may have just raided the archives for his planned extension of the SRT to Sheppard. Everything from the technology (LRT) to the alignment and the stations is identical. :D

Last post. I promise :rolleyes:

Proposal from 1969 for transit on Eglinton:

Globe19690918map.jpg

The plan is more or less identical to our Eglinton Crosstown LRT. It runs as a subway from Mount Dennis to about Leslie, and as a streetcar line from Leslie to Kennedy Station. Of course the vehicles used in the subway and streetcar portions would probably be different (rather than using LRV for the whole thing). And the streetcar part probably woundn't have a ROW or signal priority. Still it's interesting to see how our plans aren't so new after all.

Also take note of the DRL to Don Mills. Same proposal as today.

Thanks TTM!

Fascinating that even forty years ago, before Toronto overtook Montreal as the commercial/financial capital and at a time when Pearson was still second to Montreal Dorval in flight traffic that transit planners still thought that a transit connection to Pearson was essential.

Oh Toronto.

So this is my biggest fantasy map ever :eek: (16,000 x 10,000 pixels). Too bad it isn't real

Embedded is the PNG:

25617_Map.png

Large PNG: http://www.pictureshack.us/images/25617_Map.png

PDF: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7Zw2KkogQ5iYm9iUFUxVjdtdlE/edit?usp=sharing

Try the PDF if you experience performance issues.

This would add about 180 km of rail to the city, bringing the length of the mass transit network to about 225 km. If this were to be real, I estimate that it would need approximately $30 Billion from the City of Toronto as well as the money already committed to various projects (Eglinton Crosstown, Scarborough Subway, Yonge North Extension, Downtown Relief Line, Finch West LRT, Sheppard East LRT, Spadina Extension) by other levels of government.

Project list:

Eglinton LRT

Leslie to Kingston Road @ Morningside Avenue

Length: 15.0 km
Grade: Elevated
Vehicle: Light Rail
Price:$2.23 Billion
Funding: City of Toronto

Notes: The at-grade ROW from Leslie to Kennedy will be demolished and replaced with the elevated structure.

Mount Dennis to Pearson Airport

Length: 12.3 km
Grade: Elevated and at-grade (fully protected). Elevated from Mount Dennis to Renforth Drive (9.1 km). At grade (fully protected) on Renforth drive to pearson (3.2 km).
Price:$1.9 Billion

Renforth Drive to Hurontario

Length: 8.3 km
Grade: Elevated:
Price:???
Funding: City of Mississauga

Length: 16 km
Grade: At grade (ROW)
Price: $700 Million

Finch LRT

Length: 19 km
Price: $1.46 Billion

Notes: Extension of the Finch West LRT. It could probably be accommodated by a BRT, but the the LRT is already there. And it's a fantasy map :rolleyes:

Jane LRT

Length: 15 km
Price: $1.1 Billion

Bloor-Danforth

Eastern Extension (Kennedy to Brimley)
Length: 1.3 km
Grade: Underground (ROW)
Vehicle: Heavy Rail
Price: $0.356 Billion

Toronto Crosstown

Downtown (Bloor-Dundas to Danforth-Pape)
Length: ~13 km
Grade: Underground
Price: $6.2 Billion
Funding: Metrolinx

Eglinton (Danforth-Pape to Eglinton-Don Mills)
Length: ~6 km
Grade: Underground/Elevated
Price: $2.6 Billion

Don Mills (Eglinton-Don Mills to Finch-Don Mills)
Length: 8.3 km
Price: $2.3 Billion

Scarborough Subway (Eglinton-Brimley to Finch-McCowan )
Length: 8.0 km
Grade: Underground/Elevated
Price: $2.7 Billion
Funding: Metrolinx (1.4 Billion), Canada (0.66 Billion), City of Toronto ($700 Million)

Scarborough-Downtown Express (DRL to Eglinton-Brimley)
Length: 10.5 km
Grade: At grade (rail corridor)
Price: $2.1 Billion
Note: The rail corridor needs to be widened.

Etobickoe-Pearson Express (Bloor-Dundas to Pearson)
Length: 15 km
Grade: At grade (rail corridor) and elevated
Price: $3.2 Billion

Bloor-Yonge Upgrade
Length: N/A
Price: $0.900

Scarborough Rapid Transit
Length: 11.3 km
Grade: Elevated & At grade (hydro corridor)
Price: $2.9

Notes: Refurbished and extended to Malvern

Kingston BRT
Length: 9.4 km
Vehicle: BRT
Price: $0.333

Last edited:
subwaytrack.jpg

Not so much a fantasy map as a relatively inexpensive alternative to the current system which could prove to lower some of the current strain on the Yonge-University-Spadina line, by interlining the system (as has been tested previously) and splitting it into four lines one could control for the problems faced with different levels at Bay Station, the realignment would need about a kilometer of new track reconnecting Lower an Upper Bay stations in new ways, the alignment depicted allows all North-South trains to be on the lower level at all time, and all East-West trains to use Upper Bay exclusively. With some re-signing downtown and the addition of an automated announcement system, along with the new signalling system being installed in a few weeks, one could reasonably expect to have a train going almost anywhere in the city with a minimum head way of two minutes, or 30 seconds between each train (headway for trains on the YUS line after this October's shutdown).

This system could not serve to replace the idea of a Downtown Relief line, but it could reduce some of the strain on the current system and buy the city some time to build the a new line. I welcome any criticism to the map or the idea, I'd like to see this actually go somewhere, and I'm hoping its' relative simplicity and low cost make it attractive. It would also be possible to examine the idea of adding a Cross-Bloor express train that does not do the entire loop and runs the current Bloor-Danforth line in peak periods, allowing those crossing downtown to bypass it and avoid a transfer.

Contra Wizard. -First time poster, long time reader.

Edit: Sorry my pain skills suck.

Edit 2: Large Image at: http://i.imgur.com/fSRuwKR.gif

Attachments

• subwaytrack.jpg
    subwaytrack.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 1,469
Last edited:
View attachment 18466

Not so much a fantasy map as a relatively inexpensive alternative to the current system which could prove to lower some of the current strain on the Yonge-University-Spadina line, by interlining the system (as has been tested previously) and splitting it into four lines one could control for the problems faced with different levels at Bay Station, the realignment would need about a kilometer of new track reconnecting Lower an Upper Bay stations in new ways, the alignment depicted allows all North-South trains to be on the lower level at all time, and all East-West trains to use Upper Bay exclusively. With some re-signing downtown and the addition of an automated announcement system, along with the new signalling system being installed in a few weeks, one could reasonably expect to have a train going almost anywhere in the city with a minimum head way of two minutes, or 30 seconds between each train (headway for trains on the YUS line after this October's shutdown).

This system could not serve to replace the idea of a Downtown Relief line, but it could reduce some of the strain on the current system and buy the city some time to build the a new line. I welcome any criticism to the map or the idea, I'd like to see this actually go somewhere, and I'm hoping its' relative simplicity and low cost make it attractive. It would also be possible to examine the idea of adding a Cross-Bloor express train that does not do the entire loop and runs the current Bloor-Danforth line in peak periods, allowing those crossing downtown to bypass it and avoid a transfer.

Contra Wizard. -First time poster, long time reader.

Edit: Sorry my pain skills suck.

Edit 2: Large Image at: http://i.imgur.com/fSRuwKR.gif

Interesting idea, and welcome to UT!

The interlining scenario certainly has some merit. I just have to question the feasibility of building a new partial wye around Yonge & Bloor. I mean, the Yonge Subway through that area isn't very deep, and there are many more buildings with deep parking garages underneath than there were when it was built in the 50s. I know the map isn't exactly to scale, but specifically the N to E crossover from Wellesley to Sherbourne, that would have to cut through a sea of condo and office tower parking garages in order to match the grade of the existing Yonge Subway. Also, the section of the Bloor line from Yonge to Sherbourne was TBMed (or at the very least not cut-and-covered, but I believe it was in fact TBM), so building a new wye in that area may also be very difficult.

Also, I would add a through-route on the Bloor-Danforth line, because there are quite a few trips that cross Yonge. Even in the original interlining scenario the TTC had, there was still a route that ran from Kipling to Kennedy (or at that time I believe it was Keele to Woodbine). You'll also need that in order to maintain adequate headways. With 4 routes running downtown and assuming a minimum 1.5 min headway, you're looking at a minimum of 6 min frequencies on each of those branches. If you want to cut that down a bit, what I would suggest is running 2 routes on B-D instead of 3: One that runs from end to end, and another than runs from end to end via the downtown loop. That would still get the diversion you're looking for, but wouldn't chew up so much headway time.

Very interesting idea though, and if they wye complications can be sorted out, certainly something that has merit.

Last edited:

Back