News   Jul 12, 2024
 427     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 483     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 266     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Hello! Long time lurker here.

I lived in Berlin for a year and there is absolutely no comparison between transit here and over there. Comparing Berlin to TTC/GO is like comparing the space shuttle to a Sopwith Camel!

Go trains should be compared to regional trains (RE and RB) not S-bahn, only R trains run all day, in all directions, and at 20-60 minute intervals. RE are express trains that only stop at major stations while RB make more frequent stops. Think hourly, all-day service to Hamilton, Kitchener, London, Barrie, Peterborough etc. and all points in between and beyond.

S-bahn. There is nothing comparable to S-bahn here. They run 24 hours at 10-20 minute frequencies and cover the entire city.

U-bahn. There are 9 lines (+U-55 that will eventually become an extension of U-5) and have similar hours to the TTC except they run 24 hours Friday to Sunday. Night buses run the exact routes overnight on weekdays.

Trams are found mostly in the former east as the west chose subways over trams in the 1960's. They are slowly re-introducing trams to the west. They run both grade separated and in mixed traffic but have dedicated signals which give them precedence over cars at intersections. There is no bunching, short turns or lateness. Germans won't put up with lateness!

Buses are double-decker, articulated or regular as well as express routes (X bus) and limited stop metro buses (M bus) as well a M trams which tend to connect modes (ex. U or S station to R station)

There are 10 major intermodal stations that operate as hubs for trains, U-bahn, S-bahn, buses and trams. Five of those also handle international rail including 3 that serve ICE high speed trains.

Fares are honour system, POP, and are purchased from automated machines using cash or cards. There is a 3-zone system: A includes everything inside the S-bahn ring, about 3/4 of the city. B is everything outside the ring to the city borders and C includes towns outside the city for about 20-30 km's in every direction. It's a standard fare, good on all regional trains, U, S, trams, buses and even the half dozen or so ferries. No turnstiles or fare gates, just hop on or off anything that moves.

All trains are electric and virtually every transit vehicle is made by Bombardier (except buses). Anything that isn't Bombardier is being replaced by them. They were even part of the consortium that built the ICE high speed trains.

The 2 systems are not at all comparable. It would take a solid 50 years of continuous, frenzied building just to reach the level of transit that is available to Berliners today. You can't even compare the cities themselves because they follow almost complete opposite development models. Even size and population density don't mean anything because the City of Berlin includes huge lake and forest districts around its outer borders, particularly the west and south east. Where development does run to the city limit, it tends to end abruptly and not sprawl seamlessly into the next suburb.

Thanks Ceighton. No, S-Bahn is nowhere comparable to GO. Go only stops at Union station at downtown and then go in various directions to the burbs. It is basically USELESS for anyone who doesn't live in the city limit. On the other hand, S-Bahn works exactly like a regular subway, except it goes farther than the U-Bahn. Actually by taking it I don't know the difference. If GO also departs every 5-10 minutes all day, and goes to various spots in downtown and midtown, then that's probably more like it.

You forgot to mention many metro stations in Berlin even remind you how much time is left to catch the next train available in that station, which I found is extremely helpful. Buses are very efficient as well, and they don't stop every 200 meters like the 501, 505 do.

Yes, Berlin is at least 50 years ahead of us. Even Munich, a much smaller city, is way ahead of Toronto.

And I agree with Doaby in that Toronto is too car dependent, largely partly because of the lack of rapid transit. Someone who lives in East York or Scarbrough, not too far from downtown, need cars because transit takes too long for them to get wherever. becaue many people need the car, so Toronto can't afford to have a transit system as good as Berlin? You have your logic backwards here. People rely on cars precisesly because transit sucks.

Kind of off-topic, but a semi-fantasy/semi-realistic map I just finished for rapid transit in Ottawa.

Ottawa Rapid Transit.jpg

A lot of it is based off the existing TMP, but a lot of it is my own variation. Specifically, creating an LRT branch out to Stittsville, as well as creating an LRT branch to serve the General Hospital Campus, as well as West Gloucester.

Dedicated ROW streetcar services on both Carling and Montreal Rd as well.

Attachments

• Ottawa Rapid Transit.jpg
    Ottawa Rapid Transit.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,223
Yeah it really is a different world. Like living with the Jetsons for a year and coming back to the Flintstones!

What got me was that you never had to even think about if you could get somewhere because you knew you could go anywhere. Just check a map, online, app etc. and go. Hamburg? No probs! S-bahn-ICE train-boom! Then of course Hamburg has an awesome transit system as well. Even little suburbs like Potsdam (150,000 ish) have their own tram systems, 7 lines I believe, and part of the Berlin tariff zone so you only need an ABC or BC zone pass. Take the S or RE out to Potsdam and tram your way around town. We took the RE to a little town called Plauen (65,000 ish) near the Czech border and even they had a little 5 line, 50 stop tram system that covered the entire town.

I had to laugh at the locals though. They'd be grumbling that the train from Frankfurt was "4 minutes late" and that service was "So unreliable" lol. I've taken VIA enough times to know that arriving on the right day is grounds for celebration!

Somewhere along the way, we missed the boat. We'll never catch up because while we talk and study and talk and study countries like Germany, who already have vastly superior networks, just keep adding and improving and innovating. Meanwhile, we're not even treading water, our relative position is declining.

Welcome to Bedrock!

Last edited:
Yeah we are seriously behind. We know that. But we also have municipalities that are creatures of the province and don't have adequate revenue tools. We also have Conservatives in power in Ottawa, 'nuff said.

Yeah we are seriously behind. We know that. But we also have municipalities that are creatures of the province and don't have adequate revenue tools. We also have Conservatives in power in Ottawa, 'nuff said.

Is this correct? How much did the Federal Liberals contribute to the Sheppard subway? How much did the Federal Conservatives contribute to the Vaughan extension. I think it is the government that actually pays that counts and not the government that makes the promise.

I'm not so sure about that. Ideally, every new line should support multiple travel patterns; but a case can be made for prioritizing commuting trips.

First of all, such trips tend to occur during peak hours and be longer. Therefore, shifting them to transit is more beneficial, both to reduce traffic congestion and to reduce pollution.

Secondly, such trips largely influence people's car-ownership choices. People who can easily get to / from work using transit are more likely not to own a car, or keep just one car in the family. But if people must own a car to commute to work, then they really have no incentive not to use the same car for shopping trips.
I meant focussing on serving the short trips AND the average 10km commute, and not really worrying about someone from Pickering commuting to Vaughan.

I actually visited Berlin/Potsdam for a few days last summer, long enough to see that their transit system is far superior. What Mafaldaboy proposed is very substantial though, especially if the RR lines have S-Bahn style service within Toronto and the inner 905.

From what I could tell when I was in Berlin, S-Bahn was like long distance rapid transit, going further from the core and with larger stop spacing while the U-Bahn was a more local/core oriented form of rapid transit.

I guess I should begin by saying that I never took into practicality into account as I was making the map; it was mostly a result of me being bored and fiddling about with random lines and routes. If I were to make things more realistic, there'd be substantially less LRT lines, specifically in the Highway 7/407 corridor and East Scarborough. I'd still keep the regional rail lines (two-way, all-day service) and the DRL of course. That being said, I still plan on tweaking my "fantasy" version, because you guys have raised some legitimate and quite interesting points. Thanks again!

Last edited:
I love how people bitch at Ottawa about not forking over any money for transit yet they gave Toronto $300 million 3 years ago and Toronto hasn't even figured out how to spend it yet. Also why are you blaming the Conservatives in Ottawa? They have done more to help the cities and urban transit in the last 6 years that the Liberals ever did despite the Liberals running massive budget surpluses. The Liberals, unlike the Conservatives, didn't even recognize there was a problem.

That money was meant for economic stimulus during the recession, if I was Ottawa I would take it back.

Toronto keeps reporting and Vancouver and Calgary keep building.

I love how people bitch at Ottawa about not forking over any money for transit yet they gave Toronto $300 million 3 years ago and Toronto hasn't even figured out how to spend it yet. Also why are you blaming the Conservatives in Ottawa? They have done more to help the cities and urban transit in the last 6 years that the Liberals ever did despite the Liberals running massive budget surpluses. The Liberals, unlike the Conservatives, didn't even recognize there was a problem.

That money was meant for economic stimulus during the recession, if I was Ottawa I would take it back.

Toronto keeps reporting and Vancouver and Calgary keep building.

And yet the Eglinton tunnelling contract has been awarded, and the launch hole dug. The spadina extension is well underway. There is a giant hole in front of and under union station. The spur line to the airport is well under construction. There are several dozen km of BRT being built in both Peel and York regions. Toronto may still be deciding what to do with that money, because it doesn't even get the money to use for another 4 years. The Cons have promised to give 300 million, but not for 4 more years, when the provinces funding kicks in. Plus Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver all have plans for network expansion, but none of it has funding. Toronto is formulating a plan now, for a line that starts construction in four years. Plenty of time to work things out.

I've just about finished a redesign of the TTC's rapid transit map. I felt that, aesthetics aside, it was sorely lacking in necessary information. I'd like to get all of your opinions and feedback on it before I release it.

A couple notes: this is the 2020 version of the map and shows the new LRTs on the same tier as rapid transit. I've split streetcars and GO trains into different tiers but I think it would be better for the new LRTs to be almost equal to the subway network (I haven't included stops for the LRTs, I don't know if I'll change this, it seems the stop spacing is very close so I don't see much point). The 513 is just a placeholder until more details emerge about the Queens Quay East/Cherry lines. Also can someone more knowledgable than I am tell me if I'm correct about the Scarborough line remaining separate from Eglinton?

Any feedback is welcome, thanks. (Link to full size)

TTT.png

Wow. I really like it's cleanliness and legibility as well as the curved corner and fixed angle aesthetic. The skewed angle really lends itself well to label placement as well as leaving ample room for legend information in the bottom right. the CN tower icon is also a nice touch.

One more thing that I'd add would be to complete the legend with route names for the streetcars, but otherwise, very slick.

Out of curiosity, do you do design for a living or is this just a diversion?

Back