News   Jul 10, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 641     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 967     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

For the Sheppard Line, Bridlewood, is more Finch and Warden-ish; I'm in the area and it's not something locals would agree with. Just sayin'. Other than that, good map.

Ya, coming up with names is hardest part... I'll that name eventually...

Due to the number of golf courses on Islington, the Six Points development, and the GO station I think Etobicoke Centre should be Kipling, not Islington.

Thing is, Kipling needs massive development, Islington doesn't. Islington is already dense and urban.

As for GO, if you look at the ultimate version of my map you will see the GO station at Kipling eliminated and moved to East Mall and Islington (Etobicoke Centre).

This isn't so much a fantasy map as it is a conceptualization of existing plans for transit in the region of waterloo. While a lot of people seem to be aware that the region is hoping to get a rapid transit line, few are aware of what is going on in transit planning outside of the laying of steel rails. Hopefully this map will give a more complete picture of what's going on:

Its great to find a thread on this, I thought I might have been the only one engaging in this past time... haha.

Check out the maps I've drawn up over the past few months:

The first is just the DRL and Airport Express, the second an amalgam of different plans / visions from the past. I know the Eglinton is not going to be a subway, but I put it on there anyhow.

Last edited:
Our grand parents will be 6 feet under by the time even half of that is built.
I completely disagree with and proposal that uses the Weston line for anything but subway/metro. It is an asset begging to be used and HSR does nothing for 95% of Torontonians. A metro to Pearson would be blissful but if not possible at least a metro to Eto North GO and then a monorail connection.
I also think that Scar should get some decent service which means extending the Eglinton further east using elevation and the GO ROW.
ALL subways should be at grade/elevated when not in the original city of Toronto boundaries.............no exceptions.

I had an idea the other day while staring at a map of Scarborough. This is re: extending the B-D subway line--I think it should run from Erindale College (UTM) in the west to Scarborough College in the east. So keep the Scarborough RT line, but re-route the subway line (tunnel) back to where it should've gone, and where future density could easily happen--Kingston Road!

Proposed stations: Birchmount@Danforth, Midland@Kingston Rd (looks like this village could handle more 6s buildings), the Kingston Rd/St Clair/Brimley triangle, McCowan, Bellamy (increased density along this strip, no need for all that parkland), Markham Rd (tons more density could go here), triangle @Scar Golf Club/Eglinton/Kingston, Kingston @Guildwood GO (put apartment towers above the stations and parking lots etc), Kingston@Lawrence E, UTS, final stop at the Toronto Zoo. Scarborough transit problems solved!

West extension: The East Mall (increased condo development here and also more office/industrial), Sherway, Dundas@Dixie (south side, tied in to Dixie GO, can use existing but widened RR tracks row for line to Cawthra), Dundas@Cawthra, Dundas@Hurontario, Dundas@Mavis, UTM, possible final stop at Erindale GO

I think I make too much sense! Only 18-19 new stations would have to be built under this proposal--or maybe 25 if it continued west along Dundas, down Trafalgar to Sheridan ending in downtown Oakville.

Last edited:
As much as I'd like the idea of UTM and UTSC being linked to UTSG via the Bloor-Danforth line, I think that's an extreme length. That'd be 60 km. Isn't that kinda long for a subway?

^ Photoshop or Illustrator or other programs, plus mad skillz.

ALL subways should be at grade/elevated when not in the original city of Toronto boundaries.............no exceptions.

Yeah exactly, the type of grade separation of a transit line should be based solely by political boundaries. It is so easy and cheap and fast. No detailed studies need.

60km length for a subway line? Sure, why not, plus really it's the only logical expansion for the subway system. It also reflects the GTA's urban reality--historically dense districts lining Lake Ontario.

My proposal could have all GTA transit authorities merging into a larger body, to buy equipment in bulk. The subway system would operate on pay-as-you-go system--aka, based on distance traveled--just like the cab business. Let's say the max you'd pay to go the entire 60km distance would be $8-$10: Still much cheaper than a car or taxi etc. The Dundas St Miss & Kingston Rd corridors could become super dense midrise streets with vibrant retail zones--basically like King St West/East. The line could even be expanded further west, going along Dundas Street then down to Sheridan's Trafalgar campus with a final stop in old Oakville.

And like Vancouver's system, why not include a "skytrain" from the new East Mall Station to the Airport, utilizing the existing 427 row, with maybe 3 stops between? Cheaper than a subway.

Stop all other subway lines and concentrate on expanding what already exists!

Anyone wanna whip up a drawing/map of my proposed line? Thx.

Last edited:
UTM connect should be BRT though. Dundas west of Hurontario is kind of a crappy corridor. East of Hurontario definitely can be super dense, but west doesn't seem likely. UTM and Sheridan are not even on Dundas itself in the first place, so BRT is best way to serve them. Cooksville (Dundas-Hurontario) seems like logical place to end lines.

I used to think Scarborough-Malvern LRT was ridiculous, but if you consider possible LRT in Durham Region, perhaps an LRT for UTS and Kingston Rd is not a totally bad idea after all. But bus still probably best as UTS is not on Morningside. Subway is maybe too much...

Also, let's not forget about SCC!

Subway between Cooksville and SCC, that two Urban Growth Centres at its ends, and of course Downtown Toronto and ECC in the middle. I think that's best.

Last edited:
UTM connect should be BRT though. Dundas west of Hurontario is kind of a crappy corridor. East of Hurontario definitely can be super dense, but west doesn't seem likely. UTM and Sheridan are not even on Dundas itself in the first place, so BRT is best way to serve them. Cooksville (Dundas-Hurontario) seems like logical place to end lines.

I used to think Scarborough-Malvern LRT was ridiculous, but if you consider possible LRT in Durham Region, perhaps an LRT for UTS and Kingston Rd is not a totally bad idea after all. But bus still probably best as UTS is not on Morningside. Subway is maybe too much...

Also, let's not forget about SCC!

Subway between Cooksville and SCC, that two Urban Growth Centres at its ends, and of course Downtown Toronto and ECC in the middle. I think that's best.

Precisely

I had an idea the other day while staring at a map of Scarborough. This is re: extending the B-D subway line--I think it should run from Erindale College (UTM) in the west to Scarborough College in the east. So keep the Scarborough RT line, but re-route the subway line (tunnel) back to where it should've gone, and where future density could easily happen--Kingston Road!

Proposed stations: Birchmount@Danforth, Midland@Kingston Rd (looks like this village could handle more 6s buildings), the Kingston Rd/St Clair/Brimley triangle, McCowan, Bellamy (increased density along this strip, no need for all that parkland), Markham Rd (tons more density could go here), triangle @Scar Golf Club/Eglinton/Kingston, Kingston @Guildwood GO (put apartment towers above the stations and parking lots etc), Kingston@Lawrence E, UTS, final stop at the Toronto Zoo. Scarborough transit problems solved!

West extension: The East Mall (increased condo development here and also more office/industrial), Sherway, Dundas@Dixie (south side, tied in to Dixie GO, can use existing but widened RR tracks row for line to Cawthra), Dundas@Cawthra, Dundas@Hurontario, Dundas@Mavis, UTM, possible final stop at Erindale GO

I think I make too much sense! Only 18-19 new stations would have to be built under this proposal--or maybe 25 if it continued west along Dundas, down Trafalgar to Sheridan ending in downtown Oakville.

If someone's commuting from Trafalgar Campus to UTSC, wouldn't it be a lot faster to just use GO Transit? Oakville GO continuous trip through to Rouge Hill GO then a short bus feeder ride thereafter can be fulfilled now, the only issue is the cost to ride. If GO had a $5 flat fee for all trips with a 4 hour validity, no matter the distance, I think more people would opt to use it over local transit or even the subway system. To do a journey such as the one you're proposing would result in a 2 hr journey end-to-end. Who has the time for that?

Busways are more appropo for linking the various trip generators that exist on the peripheries of the core. Kingston Road is primed for this because it is wide enough to accomodate a dedicated bus right-ofway either down the median or adjacent the corridor. This could stretch from some point in the downtown core where it could intercept a future DRL (probably near River Street as the busway would be using Eastern as a connector this far west) all the way to Highland Creek and beyond. To connect to the Bloor-Danforth Line we simply extend it eastwards to a station at Golf Club Rd midway between Eglinton and Guildwood Pkwy. Such an extension would include a spur up Danforth-McCowan Rd to Scarborough Ctr whereby in the initial years of operation, every second train would alternate which direction it heads, either northeast or east. Eventually the east-west section could be incorporated into a future Eglinton subway extending its ways east from Don Mills. Also about your spacing, I'd recommend separate stations at Galloway Rd and Morningside Ave versus one station at Lawrence. As for the west end, perhaps extend the subway 3 more stops over but let regional rail take care of the rest from there: Shorncliffe, Sherway Gdns, Dixie.

Otherwise, nice to see that you've entered the fray of fantasy transit proposals. ;)

If someone's commuting from Trafalgar Campus to UTSC, wouldn't it be a lot faster to just use GO Transit? Oakville GO continuous trip through to Rouge Hill GO then a short bus feeder ride thereafter can be fulfilled now, the only issue is the cost to ride. If GO had a $5 flat fee for all trips with a 4 hour validity, no matter the distance, I think more people would opt to use it over local transit or even the subway system. To do a journey such as the one you're proposing would result in a 2 hr journey end-to-end. Who has the time for that?

Busways are more appropo for linking the various trip generators that exist on the peripheries of the core. Kingston Road is primed for this because it is wide enough to accomodate a dedicated bus right-ofway either down the median or adjacent the corridor. This could stretch from some point in the downtown core where it could intercept a future DRL (probably near River Street as the busway would be using Eastern as a connector this far west) all the way to Highland Creek and beyond. To connect to the Bloor-Danforth Line we simply extend it eastwards to a station at Golf Club Rd midway between Eglinton and Guildwood Pkwy. Such an extension would include a spur up Danforth-McCowan Rd to Scarborough Ctr whereby in the initial years of operation, every second train would alternate which direction it heads, either northeast or east. Eventually the east-west section could be incorporated into a future Eglinton subway extending its ways east from Don Mills. Also about your spacing, I'd recommend separate stations at Galloway Rd and Morningside Ave versus one station at Lawrence. As for the west end, perhaps extend the subway 3 more stops over but let regional rail take care of the rest from there: Shorncliffe, Sherway Gdns, Dixie.

Otherwise, nice to see that you've entered the fray of fantasy transit proposals. ;)

I think it'd be rather short-sighted to extend the Bloor line to Dixie and not beyond; there really isn't anything AT Dixie. Dixie to me would just exist to be able to say that the subway goes into Mississauga, and I'd support it, but I wouldn't end it there.

For your consideration:

MidtownV1.png

I made it in the style I used for the Scarborough area LRT's I made a couple of pages back.

Can be used as a banner map similar to those on the subways.

Comments and critiques please.

Last edited:
Why is it that at Kennedy you have to transfer to go in the same direction using the same technology. It's like they made TC to be as user unfriendly as possible.
Can you imagine......it's possible you have to get off your streetcar and then move to another platform only to find out you are on the same train.

Back