News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.1K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 665     1 

Transit Fantasy Maps

I remember that the original proposed reason for the Sheppard line was to give another way in/out of Scarborough. I thought by doing this combination of BD and Sheppard, I made it even easier - you don't need to transfer. Also, the shorter the line, the higher the overhead. I realize that long lines increase delays, but our YUS and BD lines are already very long and (IMO) don't frequenty encounter delays - so I think they should be able to handle it.

Note that I haven't really replaced the SRT, my route between Kennedy and the STC is different (railroad right of way)

Also, I'd like to note that it's not really a DRL - it's a combination of the idea of the DRL and the Jane LRT.

I'd also like to note that in some places I had to move the existing parts of the TTC map (Downsview for example). This doesn't imply that I want to move the station, I just had to make things line up. On the original TTC map, Downsview is way too far east of its real location.

I like the idea of the Queen subway personally - I think it would work as its own line rather than just a way to get people in and out of Union, which is the only real function I see for a railway ROW line.

The other thing I wanted to note - I didn't pay attention to the TTC's "Priority Neighbourhoods" when doing this - just two maps. One indicated residential density, the other showed an array of dots, each one representing 100 jobs in that location (like a job density map). I tried to cover all the high density areas in both. I can't upload them to show you right now, the attachment tool is not currently working for me.

Here's my first attempt at one.

Nice map. I like its simplicity. Maybe by the year 2210 we'll have a system resembling this (but still no subway into Mississauga proper aghast).

I prefer my second map. But obviously there could be more lines. However I do want to have a balance between fantasy and reality. Anything more then what I am proposing is way to much for my lifetime. Besides we will never be able to have a line on every major street. So this is a comprimise of our dreams. The green line is Subway expansion plus DRL. Which makes the subway group happy. And The Eglinton, Sheppard, RT line will be come LRT so it can be both fast when it needs to and local when it needs to.

Okay here's my latest entry into the fray:

TTC2050.jpg

Tah dah! Why use Photoshop when you can just manipulate a proprietary map instead? ;)

Key features
Over 100 kms of new busways reaching all over the city:
  • Finch/Finch Hydro Corridor busway from Highway 27 Stn to Scarborough Centre Stn via Malvern T.C. (note the circuitous alignment thru Scarborough. That's because thru that section the line runs along an elevated guideway thru the Bridletowne/L'amoreaux area and then again thru Woodside Sq).
  • Scarborough busway from Kennedy/Ellesmere to Kingston Rd via Scarborough Ctr, Centennial College, Malvern Town Ctr, UTSC, Highland Creek
  • Etobicoke busway from Queen and Roncesvalles subway via Kipling Stn, Cloverdale Mall, Etobicoke Civic Centre, Highway 27 Stn, Woodbine Live Entertainment Complex, Humber College, Etobicoke Hospital, Albion Centre to Albion/Beaumonde Hts Loop
  • Wilson-Albion on-street BRT from Wilson Stn to Humber College via Albion/Beaumonde Hts Loop
  • Jane on-street BRT from Mount Dennis Stn to Steeles West Stn via Shoreham/Steeles Loop
  • Don Mills BRT/Busway from Ontario Science Centre Stn to Shops @Steeles/404 Shopping Centre via Fairview Mall Stn and Seneca College
  • Kingston Rd on-street BRT from Highland Creek to Carlaw Stn via Woodbine and Lakeshore.

Two new subway lines:
  • Eglinton-Crosstown from Pearson International Airport to Kingston Rd near Guildwood Pkwy
  • Downtown Relief from Mount Dennis to Ontario Science Centre. Instead of conforming the DRL to one single east-west street, my version straddles both Queen and Wellington/Front at various points. This is done with the long-term goal in mind of extending tracks east-west beyond Carlaw/Queen and Roncesvalles/Queensway Stations to create a full-blown crosstown subway south of Bloor. Also note my alignment in the west end spares Ronci businesses from mass closures during the construction years plus allows or a pretty sweet stop at the junction of Keele/Annette/Dundas (no pun intended).
  • Your run-of-the-mill Bloor-Danforth and Sheppard additions

New GO stations with full fare integration:

Several new interchange stops will exist between GO Transit and the new subway and busway lines. Summerhill will become a satelite hub thru Midtown completely taking over the duties of the Milton rail corridor and allowing for all-day frequent service between Dixie Stn and Malvern Stn. The new Liberty Village GO will also act as a buffer between Union, the subway and the various commuter-rail lines of the west end (Bradford-Barrie; Bolton; Georgetown; UPAL; Milton express; Lakeshore West via shuttle)

And that's my hopeful prediction for TTC 2050. Wait til y'all see the 2075 map I'm currently working on.

Very interesting and thoughtful. Sounds like Rossi-style implement on TTC subway system, which I would approve in that time frame. That map clearly works well at nighttime. Well not so sure on daytime.

How did you photoshop on that TTC map? Due to its password-protected file, I couldn't access to that map through Illustrator or Photoshop in any way!

Very nice map Fresh Start. Few changes that I would recommend, Bloor subway extension to Sherway gardens is not needed since the ridership will be extremely low, especially at the intermediate stop at Shorncliffe. Finch deserves more than a busway and I think LRT is the best choice for that road. And Yonge subway extension is pretty much a done deal once DRL is constructed.

Back