270     0 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 334     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

I guess this is technically a map:
You_Doodle+_2023-09-20T03_58_25Z.jpeg

{Richmond Hill York Subdivision Detour}
{Barrie Line York Subdivision Detour}
I'm not sure it classifies as a fantasy, but it would be nice if Metrolinx had the foresight to put properties next to these diamonds that would block the creation of tracks connecting these lines on development hold. By doing so they would prevent a more costly land acquisition in the future and at some point be able to build these connections so that there would be better redundancy in the system without reversing trains mid-route. If the trains were fully automated I guess this would be less of an impact but I think we are a ways from that.

One 'fantasy' I had for the GTA is to build streetcars on all "consession and side roads" in any built up area. Let the buses deal with the last mile.

All of the various fantasy maps I've seen here make me wonder what it would look like if all of the giant parking structures at many Go Stations were all torn down and replaced with transit oriented development.

There’s a good number of diversions, tunnels etc that GO could build to make the network even better. I think these get thrown around a lot, but ultimately get shelved because the case isn’t there today and Mx don’t know what post-electrification will look like. But in a world where these are seen as subway lines, small diversions strike me as prudent. They are the exact incremental changes we’d want to see, not being super costly in isolation but together you end up with a network that can hit trip generators right on the nose. These will be the “easy wins” of tommorrow, no doubt.

Let’s throw around some that could be viable:

1. Pearson/Kitchener Diversion (pictured)

2. Milton to MCC

3. Stouffville to STC (via SRT ROW) and/or Malvern

4. Barrie to VMC/Canada’s wonderland via CN yard?

I’m sure there’s more, just can’t think of em right now.

All of the various fantasy maps I've seen here make me wonder what it would look like if all of the giant parking structures at many Go Stations were all torn down and replaced with transit oriented development.

A lot of the housing problems would be solved.

A lot of the housing problems would be solved.
That's doubtful.

And I worry about eliminating parking without providing a viable way to access stations through active+public transit. Having no parking risks pushing away the current ridership.

Robust last mile bus and bike connections are more important in my view than the stations' immediate surroundings. But yes, the latter should also be thoughtfully reimagined into a more urban form.

That's doubtful.

And I worry about eliminating parking without providing a viable way to access stations through active+public transit. Having no parking risks pushing away the current ridership.

Robust last mile bus and bike connections are more important in my view than the stations' immediate surroundings. But yes, the latter should also be thoughtfully reimagined into a more urban form.
If all the parking lots were instantly converted to 20 story towers, that would east the housing issues. Show me how it cant.

They did not ask about the effects to the users of GO. Better local transit would go along way to removing the need for such large parking lots. So would fare integration.

Better local transit would go along way to removing the need for such large parking lots.
Yes I acknowledged this.
If all the parking lots were instantly converted to 20 story towers, that would east the housing issues. Show me how it cant.
Conjecture on my part, but I don't see any other logical answer given how much "population growth" is a cash cow for everyone in this country: the feds will just bring more people than any amount of supply we can put on the market (at their developer/bankster pals' request).

Back